Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
When posting a question, please be sure to list the following information:
  • The airport(s) at which you are transiting
  • The airline on which you are arriving
  • The airline on which you are departing
  • Your connection time in hours/minutes
  • How you are connecting, whether international to international (Int-Int), international to domestic (Int-Dom), domestic to international (Dom-Int), or domestic to domestic (Dom-Dom)
  • Whether you are traveling on a single ticket, or separately-booked tickets

Print Wikipost

The "Help! I have a connection in Japan!" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
If you purchased the ticket on ANA website at same time then most likely it is under one ticket, even though you used multiple destinations function. Any case you are transferring from NH (ANA) to NH (ANA) so should really not make any difference at all if tickets are under one or two as far as you are concerned.

Minimum connection time at NRT for NH (ANA) domestic to NH international is 45 minutes. Both NH domestic and NH international use Terminal 1 South at NRT. Upon arrival at NRT from domestic flight, there is a passport control dedicated to passengers transferring from domestic to international. This passport control is separate from main passport control where NRT departing passengers use. However, most likely big portion of passengers on ITM-NRT flight are transiting to international flight at NRT, so can be little bit of line forming at a passport control since good number of people on your flight will be transiting to international flights also. Your transit at NRT of 2 hrs. 25 min. should be more than fine.

At ITM there is a check-in area specific for passengers transiting to international flights at other airports such as HND and NRT. Check-in counter no. 11 of NH check-in at ITM is specifically for such passengers and that is where you will check-in at ITM.
Thanks.
Why is there a special check-in at ITM if there is a passport control at NRT? What extra do they check there?
Or is it specifically for baggage check?
If I am indeed travelling on the same ANA ticket (I do have the same ANA reservation number for all my flights) and decide to check my bags at ITM, would I need to claim them and check them again at NRT or would ANA do the transfer to United for me?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by LoveMountains
Why is there a special check-in at ITM...
My understanding is that both ANA and JAL maintain separate reservation system between domestic and international flights. Back in 1960s and 1970s it was better that way because domestic reservation used Japanese kanji characters for destination airports and passenger names. Today such is not necessary to keep domestic and international reservation in separate system, but they still do.

At check-in counter agents have to log out from one system and log into another system to go between domestic reservation and international reservation. Also, not all domestic agents are trained on international reservation. Because of such reasons, at large airport like ITM ANA and JAL figured it is better to have a separate check-in area for passengers connecting to international flights at other airports.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 1:03 pm

HND - lax AA26 arriving at AA T4...

I am assuming I will be bussed from T4 to TBIT to get processed by immigration? And retrieve the bag at TBIT and exit from TBIT , not T4? (Just like arriving with a foreign airlines in TBIT??)
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I am assuming I will be bussed from T4 to TBIT to get processed by immigration? And retrieve the bag at TBIT and exit from TBIT , not T4? (Just like arriving with a foreign airlines in TBIT??)
This is not about connection in Japan, the question is about international arrival into the U.S. at LAX.

Since LAX was my home airport for 12 years and AA was my primary airline at LAX, here it go…

If you arrive at T4 on international flights, there is enclosed walkway connecting T4 and TBIT. You will not be bussed to TBIT. You will deplane at T4 and walk enclosed corridor all the way to customs and immigration area of TBIT. You will merged with all other passengers arriving at TBIT and come out at international arrival area of TBIT.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:02 pm

Need some directions to see if this is an OK connection:

NRT/NRT NH/NH Int/Dom transfer
Arrive NH171 SJC-NRT at 15:45
Depart NH3111 NRT-HIJ at 17:30, so connection time is 1:45
Two tickets (one award and one paid - must travel on these flights with other people but cannot find an award for single ticket)
There will be a checked-in suitcase.

Thanks a lot!
Old May 2, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by B747SP
Need some directions to see if this is an OK connection:

NRT/NRT NH/NH Int/Dom transfer
Arrive NH171 SJC-NRT at 15:45
Depart NH3111 NRT-HIJ at 17:30, so connection time is 1:45
Two tickets (one award and one paid - must travel on these flights with other people but cannot find an award for single ticket)
There will be a checked-in suitcase.

Thanks a lot!
Based on my past experiences, I would've said 1:45 is adequate for int'l>domestic transfer at NRT. However, now that I'm reading about crazy queues at arrival immigration, I'm not as sure. You proceed through passport controls, head down and pick up your bags, go thru customs, up to domestic check-in. Gate to arrivals concourse (past customs) has always been like 10-45min for me, but all bets are off with recent reports of 60min+ wait at arrival immigration. I myself have a 2hr int'l>domestic transfer coming up in a couple months, and I'm feeling a bit nervous.

Are you saying that your two flights are on different bookings? If so, maybe you could call ANA and ask them to link the two bookings. That may not change things much since bags don't go through anyways, but at least it might possibly facilitate you asking NH ground staff for help with your connection in case things are running real tight.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:22 am

Thanks! Let's hope that passport control does not take too much time. I will call ANA and see if they can link the two bookings.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:18 pm

Hello

Im flying on JAL

KIX - HND - LHR - DUB (BA)

How would the connection work in Haneda. Im quite confused by the sites?
Thanks
Old May 3, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Gm125
Hello

Im flying on JAL

KIX - HND - LHR - DUB (BA)

How would the connection work in Haneda. Im quite confused by the sites?
Thanks
Not different than described in the answer in the JAL forum

Any specifics of the flow?
Old May 4, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Not different than described in the answer in the JAL forum

Any specifics of the flow?

Sorry I should have been more specific it is the connection at Haneda that looks crazy with JAL. ANA seems to be easier as they have their own bus connection etc. Do i have to exit the arrivals area completely and then when i arrive at the international go through security again?
Greg
Old May 4, 2016, 10:49 am

Sorry I should have been more specific it is the connection at Haneda that looks crazy with JAL. ANA seems to be easier as they have their own bus connection etc. Do i have to exit the arrivals area completely and then when i arrive at the international go through security again?
Greg
Really not that much difference between ANA and JAL. Japan has departure passport control, and liquid allowance for carry-on items on domestic flights in Japan is slightly different from commonly adopted liquid allowance rule for international flights. Because of that all domestic to international transfer passengers has to go through security check and passport control at transfer airport. ANA passengers have to do same thing.

Only difference between ANA and JAL at Haneda is that for ANA transiting passenger to international catch a bus at gate area. Where for JAL transiting passenger to international catch a bus at landside, non-secure side of the terminal. When arriving at the international terminal, all passengers go through security check and passport control regardless of ANA or JAL.

Also, what means as posting the same question at JAL forum is that FlyerTalk rule prohibit double posting, cannot post same thing at two different forums. If a moderator catch this then it is possible that one of two posts will be deleted.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:56 pm

Haneda domestic to international terminal connection.... Which way is faster and more recommended? Green shuttle bus or Keiyu line train?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Haneda domestic to international terminal connection.... Which way is faster and more recommended? Green shuttle bus or Keiyu line train?
I have always taken shuttle bus between HND international and domestic terminal. I have never tried Keikyu or monorail to transfer between international and domestic terminal so I cannot answer which is faster. But shuttle buses come around every like 5 minutes, so considering all those comparison of which is faster my guess is difference will be only 2-3 minutes difference out of 5 – 7 minutes journey.

I think most people end up taking bus because bus departs right outside of arrival level of the terminal. For Keikyu or monorail from domestic terminal have to go down further and walk little bit more to the station. At international terminal Keikyu is below further and monorail is up at departure level.

I have heard that transit passenger can get monorail ticket for free at information desk at the terminal for domestic terminal and international terminal transfer but never tried.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Really not that much difference between ANA and JAL. Japan has departure passport control, and liquid allowance for carry-on items on domestic flights in Japan is slightly different from commonly adopted liquid allowance rule for international flights. Because of that all domestic to international transfer passengers has to go through security check and passport control at transfer airport. ANA passengers have to do same thing.

Only difference between ANA and JAL at Haneda is that for ANA transiting passenger to international catch a bus at gate area. Where for JAL transiting passenger to international catch a bus at landside, non-secure side of the terminal. When arriving at the international terminal, all passengers go through security check and passport control regardless of ANA or JAL.

Also, what means as posting the same question at JAL forum is that FlyerTalk rule prohibit double posting, cannot post same thing at two different forums. If a moderator catch this then it is possible that one of two posts will be deleted.
Ohhh sorry didn't even know i just thought it might have been better to ask here.
Old May 5, 2016, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Ohhh sorry didn't even know i just thought it might have been better to ask here.
We all have to learn

And yes, probably better to ask here.
The connection is as mentioned not complex, your luggage will be transferred so it is not a hassle to get from terminal to terminal. The free terminal bus is the better option. Staff will be able assist you in English if needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.