Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Japanese using Japanese lane (with family) at Immigration

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Non-Japanese using Japanese lane (with family) at Immigration

Off to Japan again soon. Until now, I've always gone solo in the gaijin line at Immigration while the rest of Clan Jpatokal take the Japanese line, but this time I'm most likely going to have a baby strapped to me.

Browsing through old threads, I see several assertions that "officially" I have to go to the foreigner line and can take Jp family members with me, but I'm not seeing any "official" links, and in practice this apparently always isn't enforced.

Suggestions? Should we try our luck in the Jp queue, have all four of us slum it in the non-Jp line, or do half and half?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Try your luck. Not because I think you'll get away with it, but because I'd like to know how it goes...
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:14 am

Cheeky gaijin.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I do not have an answer but I am curious as well. I know it used to be in old days, I am talking about 20 to 30 years ago it was based on a passport. Japanese passport holders went through “Nihonjin” line and non-Japanese passport holders went to “Gaikokujin” line, did not matter family members traveling together, married couple together, etc.

But time has passed since and looks as there was no official announcement concerning how family members with mixed passports go through a passport control at airports but I have a feeling that things are bit more relaxed now.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: UA *G MM
The logistical problem could be that the Japan national queues may not have the useless fingerprint readers. (I don't know.) The re-entry stations do, and they funnel overflow visitors to these queues anyway.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
From personal experience the last two times going through KIX immigration control, went to cue in the Gaijin Residence Line and was shuffled to the Nihonjin line.

Went though after my wife in the Nihonjin control. Not together but after her.

It was faster than the Gaijin line.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
From personal experience the last two times going through KIX immigration control, went to cue in the Gaijin Residence Line and was shuffled to the Nihonjin line.

Went though after my wife in the Nihonjin control. Not together but after her.

It was faster than the Gaijin line.
So they must have equipment for fingerprint and photo at these stations.

Don't the nihonjin even have automated gate lanes?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Don't the nihonjin even have automated gate lanes?
Yes. I believe Mrs. jib uses automated lanes these days - as did I when I was resident in Japan. It certainly slowed down the rate at which I got through my passport pages.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Up until they introduced the automated gates and started fingerprinting the filthy foreigners, you were allowed to use the Japanese lanes if you had an ARC. I did it all the time as it was much faster (& I must admit I enjoyed ignoring all the "helpful" Japanese around me that kept telling me I had to use a different line)

This post is no help with the OP's actual question though. Sorry.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
There is now zero chance of someone with a non-Japanese passport to use the Japanese only lanes, because all those not carrying a Japan passport must get biometric data (left and right index fingerprints, and face picture) taken, and the devices to do this are not in the Japanese only lanes.

You can take Japanese family members with you through the non-Japanese lines. They will not be subject to the biometric tests.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
& I must admit I enjoyed ignoring all the "helpful" Japanese around me that kept telling me I had to use a different line).
You too? I had so much fun with that! I never ignored it though. I always had a new response to try out to see I could cause a brain reset.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
There is now zero chance of someone with a non-Japanese passport to use the Japanese only lanes, because all those not carrying a Japan passport must get biometric data (left and right index fingerprints, and face picture) taken, and the devices to do this are not in the Japanese only lanes.
So how did Taiwaned pull this off at KIX then? I also seem to recall that at NRT, once the Japanese lanes clear up, they usually open them to foreign pax as well, which implies they've got the gear as well.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jpatokal
So how did Taiwaned pull this off at KIX then? I also seem to recall that at NRT, once the Japanese lanes clear up, they usually open them to foreign pax as well, which implies they've got the gear as well.
I am speaking from my experience of three days ago at Narita. I don't know how a different person pulled this off on a different date at a different airport, but I'm not sure how it applies to your specific question regardless.

The Japanese and non-Japanese among us all went through the non-Japanese line. It took about as long, if not slightly less time, than people getting in line at the same time as us going through the Japanese line took. So I'm also not sure just what you are so concerned about.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
You too? I had so much fun with that! I never ignored it though. I always had a new response to try out to see I could cause a brain reset.
Although I was frequently in that line, I was only challenged once by a helpful person. I just pointed out the words 再入国 on the signage and he apologized profusely ... But perhaps I just look like I belong in Japan. Entering KIX a few weeks ago, the customs agent kicked off in Japanese "Welcome back. How long have you been away". It took a while for him to twig that I was a temporary visitor. Made me smile.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Due to hailstorms assertions, I thought I am crazy however I did confirm with my wife.

I will reconfirm in a week when I go through again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.