Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyoto day trip from Osaka- advisable?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Kyoto day trip from Osaka- advisable?

Ultimately, there are only 3-4 sights I want to see in Kyoto, but would prefer to base myself in Osaka (as I also want to explore that city, and go to Universal Studios), so I am sure I can hail taxis to take me to the likes of Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, and Sannenzaka Ninenzaka/Kiyomezu Dera - but I need to arrive in Kyoto first!

How long does it take to get to Kyoto from Osaka, and are there budget buses available? I have heard of the Willer express but they seem to be overnight buses and they are no good to me.

I think the organised tours from Japanican are too expensive for me, plus I prefer to be independent.

Is a daytrip doable?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's easily doable. In fact, I have done it when I was based in Osaka on a business trip. Take trains.

However, please stay in Kyoto late enough in the day to visit the old geisha neighborhood in late afternoon or early evening when the geisha are dressed up and walking around. It's also pleasant to have dinner in Kyoto and possible to see a traditional theater performance in the evening.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
Ultimately, there are only 3-4 sights I want to see in Kyoto, but would prefer to base myself in Osaka (as I also want to explore that city, and go to Universal Studios), so I am sure I can hail taxis to take me to the likes of Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, and Sannenzaka Ninenzaka/Kiyomezu Dera - but I need to arrive in Kyoto first!
I would advise you to re-evaluate your assumptions
(1) that these are the only sights that interest you in Kyoto
(2) that it makes sense to bounce around these disparate locations and that it makes sense to do so by cab
(Strongly recommend you spend some time reading a guidebook or some other good sources of information)
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
I would advise you to re-evaluate your assumptions by reading a guidebook or some other good sources of information
(1) that these are the only sights that interest you in Kyoto
(2) that it makes sense to bounce around these disparate locations and that it makes sense to do so by cab
I am well-aware that there are more attractions in Kyoto, and arguably it is a more interesting experience than Osaka overall, but like I said I am basing myself in Osaka for personal reasons and can only dedicate 1 full day of sight-seeing in Kyoto. Therefore, I am cherry-picking the very best of the best to make sure I have enough time to see them all. If I have more time left over before my return journey, then I will stay in Kyoto and do a few more temples/gardens/palaces.

I really don't mind about the cost of taxis, although, the Kyoto Metro may be a better bet, and I will check it out when I get there.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
It is easily doable to visit Kyoto as a day trip from Osaka by train although we usually recommend the opposite. It is difficult to make specific routing recommendations without knowing where in Osaka you will be staying but every option will arrive in Kyoto at Kyoto Station.

The least expensive way to get around Kyoto is the bus system. The subway does not go very near any of the sites you mention but can be useful putting bus segments together. A one-day combo bus/subway pass is economical and easy to use. You can get it at the bus office located just outside the Karasuma exit of Kyoto Station. A pretty good route map can be downloaded at the bottom of the city transit page at: http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html .

If you choose to maximize your travel time at the expense of extra cost, cabs will certainly do that and is the way many Japanese choose to get around the city. I would suggest going in a loop from Kyoto-eki (the station) to Kiyomizudera and the surrounding "slope" area, then up to Ginkakuji, across town to Kinkakuji and back to Kyoto Station before heading down to Fushimi Inari. That last is pretty far. You may want to take a local train and catch a cab there.

IMHO you are skipping many of the best sites in Kyoto but to each his own. I agree that early evening can be a very nice time to visit the Gion area. You could stop off at Yanaka Shrine first and see much of the interesting area on foot.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
I will check it out when I get there.
Knock yerself out on the unknown unknowns.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Day trip between Osaka and Kyoto is easily doable, many people do make day trip between Osaka and Kyoto every day. Taking train is the way to travel between Osaka and Kyoto. There are express trains (which does not require surcharges) run between Osaka and Kyoto every 15 minutes.

Three different train lines run between Osaka and Kyoto.

JR Line:
Shin-Kaisoku (New Rapid) trains. 28 minutes from Osaka to Kyoto. JPY 540 each way. Runs every 15 minutes.

Hankyu Line:
Tokkyu (Limited Express) trains. 44 minutes from Umeda (Osaka) to Kawaramachi (Kyoto). JPY 390 each way. Runs every 15 minutes.

Keihan Line:
Tokkyu (Limited Express) trains. 52 minutes from Yodoyabashi (Osaka) to Sanjo (Kyoto). JPY 400 each way. Runs every 15 minutes.

These trains run well into 10-11 p.m. at night so you can enjoy evening at Kyoto, also.

Once you get to Kyoto, yes, taxi will be easiest way to get around although it will be most expensive. For example MK taxi, one of large taxi company in Kyoto, has city tour plan for tourist. 7 hours plan of tour of popular tourist sites by mid-size car is listed as 27540 JPY. Model route stops at:

Kinkakuji, Ryuannji, (lunch, not included in fare), Nijojo, Ginkakuji, Ninenzaka/Sannennzaka, and then Kiyomizudera.

Kyoto has pretty good public transportation and you can get around to those places a lot cheaper if you take public transport. Most tourists do get around using public transport, but have to figure out which bus top, route, etc.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, please stay in Kyoto late enough in the day to visit the old geisha neighborhood in late afternoon or early evening when the geisha are dressed up and walking around. It's also pleasant to have dinner in Kyoto and possible to see a traditional theater performance in the evening.
In Kyoto is it is called Maiko (舞妓), Geisha (芸者) is more general term used all over Japan not specific to Kyoto.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
Fushimi Inari this is a bit of a hike to the summit, you'll spend a good chunk of the day there.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, NW
Take the train if you're going to Fushimi-Inari.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I agree that early evening can be a very nice time to visit the Gion area. You could stop off at Yanaka Shrine first and see much of the interesting area on foot.
That's how I ended my day long visit to Kyoto from Osaka and would also recommend doing both if possible.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
It is easily doable to visit Kyoto as a day trip from Osaka by train although we usually recommend the opposite. It is difficult to make specific routing recommendations without knowing where in Osaka you will be staying but every option will arrive in Kyoto at Kyoto Station.
I actually prefer to stay in Osaka and then take trips out to Kyoto from Osaka. The reason is that the cost performance is generally better with Osaka hotels than with Kyoto hotels. There's a good variety of nice hotels in the Umeda area of Osaka, which is very convenient as far as Kyoto day trips. Also, there're other options besides arriving into Kyoto station. One involves taking the Hankyu train from Umeda to Kawaramachi (as AlwaysAisle pointed out), rather than going into Kyoto station. That Hankyu train ride can be as short as 40min, and I prefer doing that since Kawaramachi is right in the thick of things as far as sightseeing is concerned in Kyoto.

I think the OP has picked out a good list of Kyoto sights (at least imo), but I do think it might be pretty hectic to fit them all into one day.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Osaka is also handy for visiting Horyuji (the world's oldest surviving wooden buildings), Nara, and Koya-san.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Day trip between Osaka and Kyoto is easily doable, many people do make day trip between Osaka and Kyoto every day. Taking train is the way to travel between Osaka and Kyoto. There are express trains (which does not require surcharges) run between Osaka and Kyoto every 15 minutes.

Three different train lines run between Osaka and Kyoto.

JR Line:
Shin-Kaisoku (New Rapid) trains. 28 minutes from Osaka to Kyoto. JPY 540 each way. Runs every 15 minutes.

Hankyu Line:
Tokkyu (Limited Express) trains. 44 minutes from Umeda (Osaka) to Kawaramachi (Kyoto). JPY 390 each way. Runs every 15 minutes.

Keihan Line:
Tokkyu (Limited Express) trains. 52 minutes from Yodoyabashi (Osaka) to Sanjo (Kyoto). JPY 400 each way. Runs every 15 minutes.

These trains run well into 10-11 p.m. at night so you can enjoy evening at Kyoto, also.

Once you get to Kyoto, yes, taxi will be easiest way to get around although it will be most expensive. For example MK taxi, one of large taxi company in Kyoto, has city tour plan for tourist. 7 hours plan of tour of popular tourist sites by mid-size car is listed as 27540 JPY. Model route stops at:

Kinkakuji, Ryuannji, (lunch, not included in fare), Nijojo, Ginkakuji, Ninenzaka/Sannennzaka, and then Kiyomizudera.

Kyoto has pretty good public transportation and you can get around to those places a lot cheaper if you take public transport. Most tourists do get around using public transport, but have to figure out which bus top, route, etc.

In Kyoto is it is called Maiko (舞妓), Geisha (芸者) is more general term used all over Japan not specific to Kyoto.
Where do I catch the JR line from my hotel? I can only see the Hankyu line around my hotel.

Hotel Information:

intercontienental osaka
OSAKA
3-60, Ofuka-cho
Kita-ku
Osaka 5300011
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by canonikon
Where do I catch the JR line from my hotel? I can only see the Hankyu line around my hotel.

Hotel Information:

intercontienental osaka
OSAKA
3-60, Ofuka-cho
Kita-ku
Osaka 5300011
http://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/...bout-the-hotel

Click on "Transportation".

Train
Station Name: JR Osaka Station
Distance 0.2 KM / 0.12 MI SOUTH to Hotel
Taxi Fee From Train Station: ¥0.00 (JPY)
The hotel has direct access with JR Osaka Station. Head to Grand Front Osaka Tower A (2F) via Umekita Plaza on the 2nd floor from JR Osaka Station Central Gates. Cross the Sky-Bridge to Grand Front Osaka Tower B then take the escalator to the 1st floor. Proceed through Knowledge Plaza and the hotel entrance is on the right hand side.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:32 pm

Did this very thing on my last trip to Osaka. Stayed in Osaka and took day trips to Nara and Kyoto. Not only is it doable, it was very enjoyable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.