Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

"Why did you come to Japan" TV program, anyone interviewed by TV crew?

"Why did you come to Japan" TV program, anyone interviewed by TV crew?

Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: Dirt
Just watched it. Pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VMKXhFYyvE

The part featuring SkinwalkerAudio is in part 2.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by SkinwalkerAudio
@msiamsia

In response to the original post, my partner and I were interviewed by the "Why Did You Come To Japan?" TV Tokyo crew, and (if it's on schedule) we're appearing on an episode tomorrow evening (Monday, June 16th - JST).

The crew came across my partner and me at the NRT airport in mid March this year (2014). We had spent the prior year living in Thailand and India, and we had just flown in from Delhi, so we were definitely a bit shabby looking. We're both really frugal *cheap* people, and within the first few minutes of chatting with us as we wandered around the airport, they said that they had an episode in mind for us with the theme, "Cheap Trip!" We agreed to film a full episode with them and scheduled a day of filming a week later.

We met in Omotesando the following week, and the film crew followed us around through Harajuku, then down to Shibuya as my partner and I window shopped, took graffiti photographs, joked around, answered questions, ate dinner consisting of Ą100 donuts from the Family Mart, and then ultimately sought out a mangakissa for our lodging for the night - something the crew had never heard of people doing as a lodging option.

The crew were super awesome and we ended up later befriending Yui, the woman who interviewed us - our episode was her final episode as the interviewer, so it was cool being able to share that fun experience with her for her last assignment in that position.

So that's a little bit about my experience with the show. I'm currently in the Pacific Northwestern US, so I won't be able to tune in to see if it airs tomorrow night. However, once the episode is available online, I'll link to it here.
Episode was quite funny, I guess the emphasis on "cheap trip" was the production company's urging (not to be confused with the snippets of Cheap Trick playing in the background ).

So I have to ask, what do you two do for a living that afforded you this much travel time? Looked like a very fun time; I'll be in Japan myself this coming September, I'll keep an eye out for the film crew.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
@msiamsia

In response to the original post, my partner and I were interviewed by the "Why Did You Come To Japan?" TV Tokyo crew, and (if it's on schedule) we're appearing on an episode tomorrow evening (Monday, June 16th - JST).

The crew came across my partner and me at the NRT airport in mid March this year (2014). We had spent the prior year living in Thailand and India, and we had just flown in from Delhi, so we were definitely a bit shabby looking. We're both really frugal *cheap* people, and within the first few minutes of chatting with us as we wandered around the airport, they said that they had an episode in mind for us with the theme, "Cheap Trip!" We agreed to film a full episode with them and scheduled a day of filming a week later.

We met in Omotesando the following week, and the film crew followed us around through Harajuku, then down to Shibuya as my partner and I window shopped, took graffiti photographs, joked around, answered questions, ate dinner consisting of Ą100 donuts from the Family Mart, and then ultimately sought out a mangakissa for our lodging for the night - something the crew had never heard of people doing as a lodging option.

The crew were super awesome and we ended up later befriending Yui, the woman who interviewed us - our episode was her final episode as the interviewer, so it was cool being able to share that fun experience with her for her last assignment in that position.

So that's a little bit about my experience with the show. I'm currently in the Pacific Northwestern US, so I won't be able to tune in to see if it airs tomorrow night. However, once the episode is available online, I'll link to it here.
I loved it! Your partner is so cute! I was in Japan in April and this is the only show I remember. I like it. I am Japanese but have lived outside Japan for very long so this is an interesting perspective. I like the show and you were great! I can't believe they made you return the 50Y but I guess that's Japan for you! I hope you had a good trip! they played up your relationship with your partner quite a bit...it was really cute.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:34 am

@msiamsia

I'm not sure how, but it popped up in my "suggested videos" for YouTube and I immediately knew what it was. I loved it! Especially how "game" you and your partner were to answer their questions. While you were obviously working on the far side of the frugal for the trip, it is a great counterpoint for those who still are under the impression that Japan is "too expensive." Thank you for this!
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi, skinwalker!! I hadn't checked in this thread for A while, and didn't realize your report on this. Thank you so much for sharing ur experience. I'd be sure to check the episode tonight.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
I was stopped by a TV crew outside my ryokan in 2008 and asked those "What do you like about Japan" questions. In the morning the crew was in the breakfast area interviewing guests. An Australian woman talked for about 15 minutes while I was happy to get on with my meal. I went home before the airdate so never saw the show.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I was interviewed outside Itoya in the Ginza a week and a half ago. No idea if anything came of it.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was stopped (while walking with a tall companion) in Odaiba by someone who worked for a television company and wanted to film us getting in and out of a cab to show how small Japanese taxis were and how hard we found it. I did find this mildly amusing, having been in 20+ cabs in the preceding days, all without any problem and declined to participate. How that makes interesting television I have NO idea!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, my sister and I were met by a TV crew when we arrived at Narita in January. It's not exactly your finest moment, standing there all jetlagged and sleep deprived after a 10 hour flight in Economy.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Thanks to this thread, I saw them a couple days ago when arriving NRT and made sure to give them a wide berth
Old Nov 19, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Don't think I'll ever get stopped since I could easily blend in as a Japanese cause of my Asian look.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Don't think I'll ever get stopped since I could easily blend in as a Japanese cause of my Asian look.
But if the tv crew is planted outside your ryokan known for catering to foreigners they would check you out anyways.

The largest group of foreigners in Japan are the Chinese, not Americans, or so I'v heard.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fragola
The largest group of foreigners in Japan are the Chinese, not Americans, or so I'v heard.
If you're talking about tourists, there were 4.2 million tourists from Taiwan, Hong Kong and mainland China last year, vs. 800,000 from the US. All in all, roughly 15% of tourists are from "Western" countries, however you define that term. (And obviously some of those "Western country" tourists are also of Asian descent.)

I could easily blend in as a Japanese cause of my Asian look.
I think a TV crew whose job it is to spot foreign tourists can often spot foreign tourists. Different countries have different fashions in clothing and hairstyles, to start with.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:08 am

Bobby Ologun (YOUは何しに among others) arrested for DV.
Really liked that guy. I'm shocked and disappointed.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Did not expect this show will pop up here if not because of above post

Of all episode, usually the folks they interviewed are from Western Countries rarely seen them interview Asian folks from other country. Either I did not watch episodes or its easier for crew to spot westerners.

I think there is certain episode where they have specific theme like Cabin Crew like this TV Tokyo Link

Quite interesting as they actually managed to interview one Thai based JL crew and somewhat the JL management gave her the permission (she have to ask too) for film crew to be with during her stopover (refer to link above)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.