Biggest Tokyo snowfall in 45 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Tokyo snowfall in 45 years

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems that the weather folks have changed their minds....but just in case Richard you should probably cancel your trip until mid- April to be on the safe side !

Hailstorm, you still using chains on your Rolls minivan ?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Snow is forecast for Osaka/Kyoto as well. Seems to be forecast for late night Wednesday/early morning Thursday.

They're saying that this won't be as bad as the last two, but they were also saying that the last huge snowstorm would most likely be main as late as two days beforehand, so really hard to say. A little nudge in the low pressure system one way or the other makes all of the distance. But I don't see any advantage of going to Osaka versus going to Tokyo. If you're screwed, you're either screwed either way, or there's not enough data to make a determination at this point.
Thanks for the info. I love that reports on a snow storm are coming from a hail storm!

Anyhow, I have decided not to do anything about it until tomorrow. Weather channel and other English language sites are still not even mentioning the possibility.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Forecast has changed from snow to cloudy, so I doubt it should pose a problem.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forecast has changed from snow to cloudy, so I doubt it should pose a problem.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Snow is forecast for Osaka/Kyoto as well. Seems to be forecast for late night Wednesday/early morning Thursday.

They're saying that this won't be as bad as the last two, but they were also saying that the last huge snowstorm would most likely be main as late as two days beforehand, so really hard to say. A little nudge in the low pressure system one way or the other makes all of the distance. But I don't see any advantage of going to Osaka versus going to Tokyo. If you're screwed, you're either screwed either way, or there's not enough data to make a determination at this point.
Is it snowing ?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Is it snowing ?
No!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by LapLap
Ouch! I hope you are wrapped up warm and have sensible footwear.
Wishing you home as soon as possible.
Thanks very much, LapLap.
You are very thoughtful. Your words warmed up my heart then and I didn't catch a cold.

--
Was watching a news, a 98-year-old woman in Miyagi said, "this is the heaviest snow in my life and I have never heard of the snowfall as heavy as this even from my parents." She was rescued by a heli.

--
What I think unusual about the two recent major snowfalls in Kanto is that they were caused by low pressure systems from the south not from the north. Traditionally, southern coast of Honshu does not have so much snow in winter.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by O Sora
What I think unusual about the two recent major snowfalls in Kanto is that they were caused by low pressure systems from the south not from the north. Traditionally, southern coast of Honshu does not have so much snow in winter.
When making a mask for setsubun this year I used Mongolian imagery as an inspiration for our family's Oni as the storm clouds in February usually come from the North. We were also surprised to learn how this was an exceptional year.

I am really pleased you managed to make it out of Motosumiyoshi without having caught a cold. You must have had a miserable night
Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by O Sora
[IMG]By the way, this year JR East is running a promo with a copy shown in the following website screenshot (translated by me).
This year's promotional catchphrase "For the answer, ask the snow." isn't nearly as catchy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.