Wiki Posts
Search

KIX to Osaka Station / IC Osaka

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
KIX to Osaka Station / IC Osaka

Will be arriving at Kix on a Sunday afternoon at 3.50 pm.

Was thinking about taking the JR Airport Express directly to Osaka station and then walk to the Intercontinental which is in the Grand Front Complex next to the station.

I will be taking a larger suitcase (with wheels) with me. Could it be a problem on the train with the luggage? Are there any spaces to store luggage? And will the train be busy and crowded?

Should I perhaps consider other options and if so which ones?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
If you are thinking limited express train Haruka when you mentioned JR Airport Express, then Haruka does not stop at Osaka station, Haruka stops at Shin-Osaka station which is a station for Bullet train (Shin-kansen).

JR has rapid commuter train running between KIX and Osaka station. This is a commuter train, no reserved seating, stops at more stations. You can carry large luggage, but there is no dedicated space for large luggage storage. Rapid train will get crowded as get close to Osaka. I think navigating through Osaka station with large luggage will be more of challenge than riding a rapid train with large luggage.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:05 am

There is a limousine bus service from KIX to Hotel Hankyu International which is only a few minutes walk from the IC. It departs from bus stop #5 just outside the terminal building, and costs 1500yen. The luggage space is quite roomy so I don't think you will have problems there.

You can find the timetable here:
http://www.kate.co.jp/pc/e_time_tabl...a_tt.html#from
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I'll be arriving on a friday morning and heading to the IC as well. Looks like the New Hankyu Hotel is only about 400 meters away from the IC (according to googlemaps). I see the bus also travels from Westin Osaka to KIX which I'll be departing from.

Still looking at the various options of transport when in Osaka. Any recommendations? Will be there for 6 nights, may or may not head to Kobe or Kyoto. First time to Japan for me.

Last edited by lcpteck; Feb 2, 2014 at 8:01 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, NW
I would highly recommend going to Kyoto, as it has a different vibe and look from Osaka.

Like most of the largest Japanese cities, Osaka has an extensive and efficient public transport system of subways and surface trains, with signs marked in Japanese and English, as well as buses, which are usable mostly if you can either read Japanese or have someone tell you which number bus you need to take to get to a certain destination. Nearly everyone in Japan takes public transit, and it's safe and clean.

If you need to take a cab, there are an amazing number of them always cruising the main streets. It's helpful to have someone write down your destination in Japanese or, if you venture out of your hotel, to take the hotel's business card with you, since cab drivers rarely speak much English. However, cabs are by far the most expensive way to travel.

The situation with transit passes has evidently changed since I was last there, so maybe someone with more current knowledge can help you out.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by KIXman
There is a limousine bus service from KIX to Hotel Hankyu International which is only a few minutes walk from the IC. It departs from bus stop #5 just outside the terminal building, and costs 1500yen. The luggage space is quite roomy so I don't think you will have problems there.

You can find the timetable here:
http://www.kate.co.jp/pc/e_time_tabl...a_tt.html#from
Was thinking about taking the commuter (not Haruka) train but the limousine bus sounds quite good.

Last edited by Mr. LAU; Feb 2, 2014 at 11:46 am
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
For the OP's scenario with luggage, another double vote for the Airport Limo buses from KIX to Osaka Station, it will take just over a hour and it is a smooth quiet ride.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
For the OP's scenario with luggage, another double vote for the Airport Limo buses from KIX to Osaka Station, it will take just over a hour and it is a smooth quiet ride.
How much time is the commuter train? And what times is it jam packed for rush hour?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:11 am

Reaching KIX on Friday morning, gonna try the limousine bus as mentioned earlier and walk from there. Looks like googlemaps is updated as well to see the hotel grounds.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:46 pm

Am arriving on a Monday morning and heading to the IC Osaka. I noted that the recommended route is to take the AIrport Limousine to Hotel Hankyu International and then walk to IC Osaka. However, the last bus to Hotel Hankyu International leaves before my flight touches down.

How far is the distance from Hotel New Hankyu to IC Osaka? Would Airport Limousine still be a viable option, or should I consider the commuter train instead?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
Am arriving on a Monday morning and heading to the IC Osaka. I noted that the recommended route is to take the AIrport Limousine to Hotel Hankyu International and then walk to IC Osaka. However, the last bus to Hotel Hankyu International leaves before my flight touches down.

How far is the distance from Hotel New Hankyu to IC Osaka? Would Airport Limousine still be a viable option, or should I consider the commuter train instead?
Actually, the recommended route is the Hotel New Hankyu. Yes, take the limousine bus. Let me post some details after lunch. It's just a short walk.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:46 am

Since I just returned from my trip, thought I'll post my 2 cents worth. I was going to take the Airport Limousine, however seeing JR West have this bundle deal, I took the train instead.

I took the commuter train from KIX to Osaka station (approx 70 minutes) and walked approx 10 minutes through the Grand Front Complex to the IC Osaka. The commuter train was not crowded at all but that could be due to the timing (I took the train at approx 9.30pm and checked in at 11pm). Very easy walk you essentially walk through the entire complex to the hotel entrance which is located at the north of the complex. Luggage was not an issue as the JR KIX/Umeda station have many escalators/elevators throughout the station.

The Haruka+ICOCA deal is pretty worth it as it includes a preloaded ICOCA card (1500Yen Value + 500 Card Deposit), which means the KIX-Umeda journey is 1030Yen, cheaper than the Limousine bus.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319
Since I just returned from my trip, thought I'll post my 2 cents worth. I was going to take the Airport Limousine, however seeing JR West have this bundle deal, I took the train instead.

I took the commuter train from KIX to Osaka station (approx 70 minutes) and walked approx 10 minutes through the Grand Front Complex to the IC Osaka. The commuter train was not crowded at all but that could be due to the timing (I took the train at approx 9.30pm and checked in at 11pm). Very easy walk you essentially walk through the entire complex to the hotel entrance which is located at the north of the complex. Luggage was not an issue as the JR KIX/Umeda station have many escalators/elevators throughout the station.

The Haruka+ICOCA deal is pretty worth it as it includes a preloaded ICOCA card (1500Yen Value + 500 Card Deposit), which means the KIX-Umeda journey is 1030Yen, cheaper than the Limousine bus.
The Haruka doesn't stop at Osaka station right? I retained my ICOCA after returning home since I can use them again next time I'm in Japan. It apparently had a validity date of 10 years if there's no usage.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
The Haruka doesn't stop at Osaka station right? I retained my ICOCA after returning home since I can use them again next time I'm in Japan. It apparently had a validity date of 10 years if there's no usage.
Nope, the Haruka does not stop at Osaka station. It stops at Shin Osaka and you can take a regular train from Shin Osaka to Osaka (1 stop).

There is also the regular Airport Rapid Express from KIX to Osaka, this was what I took.

The bundle deal is valid for almost all stations within the larger Osaka area. You can even use it to Kyoto and Kobe which makes it super worth it.

Whichever option you choose, the traveling time is about the same (approx 70min). I had two large suitcases but no issues with them on the train or navigating at JR Osaka station. Osaka station, after its redevelopment, is so much easier to navigate now compared to years ago. ^^

I keep all my transit cards from all the countries I travelled to. You can also use your ICOCA in other regions around Japan so good idea to keep it with you.

Last edited by SQ319; Apr 26, 2014 at 9:17 am Reason: Error in station name
Old Apr 26, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
FYI - Umeda station(s) and Osaka station are essentially in the same location. Osaka is the name of the JR station and Umeda for Hankyu line, Hanshin line, and the subway.

So ... The subway (Midosuji line) goes from Shin-Osaka to Umeda station
The JR train (Kansai Airport Rapid Service) goes from KIX to Osaka station

I thought it worth mentioning in case the OP tries to find "Umeda" on a JR line map.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.