First Time To Japan - Kyoto/Tokyo Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time To Japan - Kyoto/Tokyo Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
That part is still not clear to me, particularly as we were shown the following message:

"Thank you for contacting us. The E-voucher can be exchanged for train ticket at any time of train (Nozomi, Hikari, and Kodama) as long as it operates at your desired time."

I would be grateful if you can point me to something/anything that would confirm that this deal is for a totally open ticket.
The most reliable proof is first hand experience.

I used this deal.
When using unreserved coaches, you simply take next arriving train just like London underground.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 5:50 pm

This is really helpful as I am going to Tokyo for the first time also, in April. Can someone recommend a good guidebook for Tokyo only?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by desi

I used this deal.
When using unreserved coaches, you simply take next arriving train just like London underground.
Unfortunately, first hand experience only proves "what someone got away with" not what is actually allowed.

I can take on board your experience as anecdotal evidence that the new JTB/Japanican deal tickets are "totally open" but DanielW's email from JTB about "desired time" does still suggest the possibility that a completely open ticket might be a loophole that is yet to be closed (or was overlooked that day).

The best advice is perhaps to have the ticket terms confirmed by JTB/Japanican before purchasing if this is what is expected from the ticket.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by frenchie2
This is really helpful as I am going to Tokyo for the first time also, in April. Can someone recommend a good guidebook for Tokyo only?
You should have started your own thread to ask a new question, but anyway,almost all the major guidebook publishing companies have guidebooks devoted to Tokyo and environs.

Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Frommers, DK, Insight, and a few more that I can't recall offhand. Go to a major bookstore and browse. Everyone's travel needs are different.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
Unfortunately, first hand experience only proves "what someone got away with" not what is actually allowed.

I can take on board your experience as anecdotal evidence that the new JTB/Japanican deal tickets are "totally open" but DanielW's email from JTB about "desired time" does still suggest the possibility that a completely open ticket might be a loophole that is yet to be closed (or was overlooked that day).

The best advice is perhaps to have the ticket terms confirmed by JTB/Japanican before purchasing if this is what is expected from the ticket.
Pre-confirming with japanican (using emails) is something I did before departing from US. They usually responded within 36 hours.

Once you purchase this deal over the internet, they give you confirmation email.
You take that to japanican office at tokyo or shinagawa train station where it is exchanged for normal unreserved nazomi tickets. I had to wait 15 min for English speaking person to free up but after that remaining process was only 5 minutes.

This deal is different from the other deal that included a night at mid-level hotel in kyoto (in that deal, you had to specify early morning or late morning departure and you were given a specific train within that timeslot).

This deal basically includes one roundtrip between tokyo and Kyoto on nazomi in unreserved coach on any nazomi train plus kyoto subway+bus day pass.

Seemed like straight-forward promotion targetting foreigners through japanican. Dont think there was any "one-off" or "loophole" about it as promotion was well advertised on the website and japanican were reassuringly clear about terms in their email replies.

Just re-checked again by clicking on the link few minutes ago and both the title of the deal on thier page as well as T&C are very clear.

If nrt-tok-kyoto-tok-nrt is the only travel planned then thisjapanican promotion+NEX/SUICA is better deal (due to flexible nazomi tickets) than JR pass (total cost is not that different for both options). It is also refundable in case you change your mind and end up not going to Kyoto. (something you cant do with JR pass once you have already used it for NRT-TOK travel)

Last edited by desi; Feb 4, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: MVPG
Kyoto

We're in Kyoto right now.

^ on staying at the Granvia Hotel
^ on their discounted 2200yen breakfast buffet
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Wanted to post an update for our upcoming trip: Due to two different flight schedule changes, I was actually able to change my arrival airport from NRT to KIX (so I'll be MUCH closer to Kyoto to start with!) and push my departure date from Tokyo back one day. Therefore, I can now have 1.5 days in Kyoto AND 3.5 days in Tokyo!!

Now I just need to decide if I am going to stay in Kyoto for one or two nights. Leaning towards two such that we can either take the train to Tokyo early in the AM if we got our fill in the 1.5 days or stay a little longer if we really like it and take a train to Tokyo later in the day. Thoughts?

Thanks a lot for all the help up to this point!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by desi

I used this deal.
Used this last week, absolutely no problems taking the Nozomi unreserved, great deal!

Originally Posted by mojo2121
Now I just need to decide if I am going to stay in Kyoto for one or two nights. Leaning towards two such that we can either take the train to Tokyo early in the AM if we got our fill in the 1.5 days or stay a little longer if we really like it and take a train to Tokyo later in the day. Thoughts?

Thanks a lot for all the help up to this point!
I spent 5 days in Japan last week. I did a day trip to Kyoto and while I would have liked to stay longer, for the short trip preferred to spend the time in Tokyo.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:44 pm

It all depends on your travel patterns and flexibility. Leave Kyoto first thing in the morning and check into a Tokyo hotel late morning? Or spend more time in Kyoto and arrive in Tokyo later? When would a nice comfortable 2-3 hour train trip make more sense for you? The good thing is that there are departures so often on that route you can afford to play it by ear. Either way, I'd make sure to grab a seat on the left side of the train to see Mt. Fuji, and travel during the daytime.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pureboy
I'd make sure to grab a seat on the left side of the train to see Mt. Fuji, and travel during the daytime.
Yes, definitely recommend this, got a great view on the 6am Nozomi from Tokyo to Kyoto.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I would use that last morning in Kyoto to see a bit more. Check-out time is usually 10:00 or 11:00 am and most hotels will hold your luggage an hour or two after you check-out so you could use the whole morning in Kyoto. Arriving in Tokyo at or after 3:00 pm would mean you could check-in to your next hotel immediately rather than just drop bags and come back later. Grab a bento at Kyoto Station to take on board and eat lunch on the train, like everybody else will be doing.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:53 am

I just wanted to say that this thread has been extremely helpful. My wife and I will travelling to Japan in a couple months and plan to split our time as 2 days in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto and 2 more in Tokyo before flying out. She travels to Tokyo a few times a year, but has never been to Kyoto. We figure this is the best compromise for me to be able to experience Tokyo for the first time and also be able to spend a few days in Kyoto...a place she has been wanting to visit. We will likely just get the JR Pass as it gives us some flexibility if we want to take the train somewhere else as a short day trip from one of our two "base" cities.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
My wife and I will travelling to Japan in a couple months and plan to split our time as 2 days in Tokyo, 3 in Kyoto and 2 more in Tokyo before flying out.
If it works with your schedule, consider booking an "open-jaw" ticket, with one side at NRT or HND and the other KIX or ITM. That way you can arrive in Tokyo, leave from Kyoto, (or vice versa,) and spend more time touring and less time backtracking. It would also save you money and the need for a JR Rail Pass.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Well I got all set up with a new hotel in Tokyo for the three nights - now time to book something in Kyoto! Any advice on a great central location spot since my time will be limited (afternoon + full next day)?

Also, is train travel from Osaka airport fairly easy and do I need to get a bullet train ticket in advance to get to Tokyo in the early AM of my departure day (specifically heading to the Conrad if there are any route recommendations)?

Glad this thread is providing others with help and am very thankful so far
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by mojo2121
Well I got all set up with a new hotel in Tokyo for the three nights - now time to book something in Kyoto! Any advice on a great central location spot since my time will be limited (afternoon + full next day)?

Also, is train travel from Osaka airport fairly easy and do I need to get a bullet train ticket in advance to get to Tokyo in the early AM of my departure day (specifically heading to the Conrad if there are any route recommendations)?
Hard to recommend hotels or areas without knowing your requirements. Luxury or budget, or in between. Some would recommend staying near the station for ease of transportation options. I disagree as the area around the station is pretty uninspiring to say the least. I prefer something further north, near Nijo Castle or the Imperial Palace and near a stop on one of the major bus routes or a subway station.

http://www.japanhotel.net/ has reasonable choices and a locator map.

The train from KIX to Kyoto is called the JR "Haruka" and is very easy to use. There is a Japan Rail Travel Service Center right at KIX, up the escalator in the arrivals hall to the second floor and across the street via the enclosed pedestrian bridge. There are signs. You will see the JRTSC to the left, in a glass walled office with lime green trim. Once you have your ticket, the actual train platforms are right across the hall and down the escalator.

I still don't know why you want to leave Kyoto early and arrive in Tokyo early, before check-in time, but if you want an early train, I'd suggest dropping by the ticket office a day or so early and make a seat reservation. The most convenient ticket location is just inside the main, north (Karasuma) entrance but the shinkansens actually leave on the other side of the station. If you take a cab, just tell the driver "shinkansen eki" and he will deliver you to the right place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.