Boingo WiFi in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boingo WiFi in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Boingo WiFi in Japan

I have subscribed to Boingo and have found it very handy here in Japan.

It has contract with

*NTT docomo
Wi2, a subsidiary of *au, KDDI
Mobilepoint operated by *Softbank

* These three are Japanes big 3 mobile operators. So, in almost any place where public wifi is available, you can connect to the internet with your Boingo ID or apps.

The easiest way to find Boingo hotspots is probably to look for McDonalds. 99% of them have Mobilepoint signals, so you can use Boingo.

Last edited by O Sora; Jan 12, 2014 at 6:19 am
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:51 pm

I'll be in Japan for 10 days. I'm considering Verizon's 100MB international plan plus Boingo.

Will I be able to connect to WiFi pretty well while traveling (looking at maps in tourist spots, etc.)?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Don't forget that some of these networks are WEP protected. You need to get the code first to get on the network then you log in.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Since virtually all hotels in Japan have complimentary (though mostly cabled) internet connections, finding WiFI is usually not so important for me. Starbucks however has free, and quite fast, WiFi.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by abraxis
Don't forget that some of these networks are WEP protected. You need to get the code first to get on the network then you log in.
Boingo apps help solve WEP key problem. They automatically configure the keys.(at least on Android, with which I have just confirmed) Also,logging on is one tap away.
Old May 31, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by O Sora
Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Boingo apps help solve WEP key problem. They automatically configure the keys.(at least on Android, with which I have just confirmed) Also,logging on is one tap away.
I don't think it works in iPad.. My android phone can connect but not my iPad...
Old May 31, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by pbd456
I don't think it works in iPad.. My android phone can connect but not my iPad...
the FAQ for boingo app has wep key. i just found out, and able to logon to mobilepoint now.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:44 pm

Do you have a like for the FAQ with the WEP key?

Originally Posted by pbd456
the FAQ for boingo app has wep key. i just found out, and able to logon to mobilepoint now.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Do you have a like for the FAQ with the WEP key?
Do you mean a link or a Facebook thing?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:12 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by KPT
AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Thanks, I will be in Japan in the early Fall and curious to know. I just established my account with Boingo via AMEX Plat as well..
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KPT
Did it work?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Im an AMEX PLAT and have BOINGO.. Was in Japan recently and had issues using my ipad, is this a known issue or just me? Hard to connect to BOINGO unless you have a WiFi Connection already established? It defeats the purpose for me.. And your experience?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I noticed on the iPhone app that if you open help, it lists the web keys needed for the various service providers. Did you try entering the key when connecting?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXPLAT
I noticed on the iPhone app that if you open help, it lists the web keys needed for the various service providers. Did you try entering the key when connecting?
I checked the list of the wep keys and I found it old. Boingo lists Livedoor wireless there, but it stopped operation three or four years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.