Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 12, 14, 3:42 am   #1

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Boingo WiFi in Japan

I have subscribed to Boingo and have found it very handy here in Japan.

It has contract with

*NTT docomo
Wi2, a subsidiary of *au, KDDI
Mobilepoint operated by *Softbank

* These three are Japanes big 3 mobile operators. So, in almost any place where public wifi is available, you can connect to the internet with your Boingo ID or apps.

The easiest way to find Boingo hotspots is probably to look for McDonalds. 99% of them have Mobilepoint signals, so you can use Boingo.

Last edited by O Sora; Jan 12, 14 at 6:19 am.
O Sora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 14, 1:51 pm   #2

I'll be in Japan for 10 days. I'm considering Verizon's 100MB international plan plus Boingo.

Will I be able to connect to WiFi pretty well while traveling (looking at maps in tourist spots, etc.)?
and.y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 14, 3:18 am   #3

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, ANA Mileage Club, SPG Plat
Don't forget that some of these networks are WEP protected. You need to get the code first to get on the network then you log in.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 14, 7:00 am   #4

Programs: UA 1K; OZ D+; MR G; IHG G; HH G
Since virtually all hotels in Japan have complimentary (though mostly cabled) internet connections, finding WiFI is usually not so important for me. Starbucks however has free, and quite fast, WiFi.
a9504477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 14, 4:15 am   #5

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis
Don't forget that some of these networks are WEP protected. You need to get the code first to get on the network then you log in.
Boingo apps help solve WEP key problem. They automatically configure the keys.(at least on Android, with which I have just confirmed) Also,logging on is one tap away.
Old May 31, 14, 6:50 am   #6

Programs: DL PM, CO PE, OZ Diamond. SPG Gold, HH Gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Sora View Post
Wirelessly posted (iPhone5: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; SC-02E Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.166 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Boingo apps help solve WEP key problem. They automatically configure the keys.(at least on Android, with which I have just confirmed) Also,logging on is one tap away.
I don't think it works in iPad.. My android phone can connect but not my iPad...
pbd456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 14, 9:02 pm   #7

Programs: DL PM, CO PE, OZ Diamond. SPG Gold, HH Gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
I don't think it works in iPad.. My android phone can connect but not my iPad...
the FAQ for boingo app has wep key. i just found out, and able to logon to mobilepoint now.
pbd456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 14, 11:44 pm   #8

Do you have a like for the FAQ with the WEP key?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbd456 View Post
the FAQ for boingo app has wep key. i just found out, and able to logon to mobilepoint now.
BigFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 14, 2:29 am   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
Do you have a like for the FAQ with the WEP key?
Do you mean a link or a Facebook thing?
Old Jun 7, 14, 10:12 pm   #10
KPT

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, SPG Gold
AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Old Jun 17, 14, 9:31 am   #11

Programs: UA & TK *Gold, Amex Platinum, Hertz 5* Gold, National Executive, Hyatt GP, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
AMEX US Plat holders should now be able to access boingo hotspots here as part of their membership. I'll report back if it works well.
Thanks, I will be in Japan in the early Fall and curious to know. I just established my account with Boingo via AMEX Plat as well..
Flying Machine is online now   Reply With Quote