Help plan family trip to Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help plan family trip to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

So you're going to Japan but won't be seeing much outside of Tokyo just to save a few points?
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

No, not to save a few points. To be able to take the trip at all.

We're trying to figure out how to make it work. And if using points can save us several thousand dollars, we'd kinda like to do that. It's definitely a factor.

But appreciate your contribution to the thread. We are definitely looking into open jaw options.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Steve M
This is a curious comment. Perhaps it's safer in the sense that peanuts are used less frequently in cooking than in other Asian countries? Maybe.
Definitely, but you find it in the most peculiar places. Much like most bread there has animal fat in it (pork, usually) peanut oil is one of the two most common cooking oils along with rape seed oil.

Perhaps someone on FT that lives in Japan and has more experience with this can contribute.
To be honest, if it were a genuinely severe allergy to peanuts and the derivatives I wouldn't go near Japan unless and only if you could actually control the cooking. That means zero eating out of any cooked food because you simply can't predict how it'll be done. Asking it to be done a certain way will have zero effect IME.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by teach42
We're going to cover that BIG time. pre-printed allergy cards that explain how severe it is in Japanese, as well as extensive planning for where we're going to eat.
Sorry, but I think you're going to be sorely disappointed on that front. The idea of modifying prep isn't really done, as someone else mentioned.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:16 pm

Don't worry about the weather. You're going when you can go, and you can make the best of it. I totally hear you about Disney and beaches: that's not what you're going around the world for. We took our three kids under ten to Japan last August and had an incredible time. A week in Tokyo is great, since it allows you to take some excellent day trips out of town. You will not believe how easy it is to get around and cover long distances.
As far as an open jaw goes: I think if you are using Japan Rail Pass (HIGHLY recommended) you should be able to get back to NRT with little issue. In fact, we toured Nijo Castle in Kyoto for over an hour the morning of our flight home from NRT.
I have plenty of suggestions -- almost all based on helpful comments from Flyertalk and Tripadvisor -- for showing kids a good time in Japan. Search and gather info; you have about as much time to plan as I did.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

We're trying to figure out how to make it work. And if using points can save us several thousand dollars, we'd kinda like to do that. It's definitely a factor.
Saving is always a good thing...but it would be an awfull shame to visit Japan and not see much more than Tokyo.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:08 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dubaych
As far as an open jaw goes: I think if you are using Japan Rail Pass (HIGHLY recommended) you should be able to get back to NRT with little issue. In fact, we toured Nijo Castle in Kyoto for over an hour the morning of our flight home from NRT.
I feel you are oversimplifying things quite a bit here.....

Surely you could do Kyoto-Narita but that would both require your Railpass to still be active and it takes about 3,5-4hrs with at least one transfer. While if you start/end your trip in Kyoto it's a simple train ride that takes just an hour to/from the airport, and you wouldn't need to use one day (or more if you stay in Kyoto) of your Railpass for such an inexpensive ticket.

And the same for the weather.... If it's the only time you can go there is not much of a choice. But don't say it's fine, it's most likely going to be freaking hot and humid. You won't drop dead from the exhaustion but it does require a lot of consideration in your planning, especially in the concrete jungles of Tokyo and Kyoto.

So planning is key here. With good planning you will make the most of your railpass, but if you don't do a return to Tokyo you might not even need one. There are plenty of regional options that might save a considerable amount, especially when travelling with a family. A railpass is not always the best option, even when it looks cheap.

Last edited by RTW1; Dec 23, 2013 at 1:25 am
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
Saving is always a good thing...but it would be an awfull shame to visit Japan and not see much more than Tokyo.
I disagree here. Violently.

On a first visit with kids in tow in the height of the summer there doesn't seem any point to me in charging up and down the country.

With a three and seven year old there is huge array of things to do in and around Tokyo. At the end of the Tokyo stay, perhaps tack on a night in the Hakone area, the Hakone "free" pass for instance would allow two days unlimited use of trains, cable trains, aerial cable cars, boats and buses in the area. It means the family can cover a lot of ground in a very scenic area, meet and say hello to a LOT of people and not get over tired or exhausted. I'd also recommend a trip to the delightful Nihon Minka En for a taste of historical Japan and a visit to Matsumoto, in particular, the wonderful, wonderful castle there.

Tokyo has a HUGE array of things a family can do and 7 days would allow you to barely scratch the surface.
Example (Saturday or Sunday lunchtime)
http://www.papermuseum.jp/en/workshop/

Last edited by LapLap; Dec 23, 2013 at 2:05 am
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by LapLap
On a first visit with kids in tow in the height of the summer there doesn't seem any point to me in charging up and down the country
I see your point... And in August you're probably right. That's something I didn't really consider since I would never go at that time.

But by staying in one place and taking it slow, a few day-trips and maybe a quick train return to Kyoto for a day or two without much luggage, you could actually enjoy the trip a lot more.

I would still find another destination in August though, and look at planning a trip to Japan during another holiday.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Totally understand. But here's the way I'm looking at it... Asia is a place neither my wife nor I have been to. And we both really want ot experience it. I have the points right now to make it happen, and that's after saving them up for years. Given changes in the company and the general devaluation of points, I have no idea whether we'll ever be able to make this trip work again. While we could possibly put it off until 2015, I kinda feel like there's no time like the present. The stars are aligning and I actually have a two week window that I could take off work, the kids will be on summer break, and we could actually make it happen.

Sure, we could go somewhere else. And we're definitely looking into it since we've gotten a lot of push back on the whole August thing.

As for the whole Tokyo thing, I don't know why you keep bringing it up, RTW1... I totally understand your opinion, but if spending 7 nights in one hotel allows us to take the trip at all, then I don't know why you keep being a downer about it. In order for us to afford it, we need to use the Marriot trip package for points + miles. Maybe you don't. That's wonderful. But I'd rather spend 7 nights in Tokyo and 5-8 nights elsewhere than not go at all. I get that you think 7 nights in one place is too long. But based on the advice we've gotten from other people, it seems we could easily spend that long in Tokyo (including day trips) and barely scratch the surface. We wouldn't consider ourselves deprived.

Regarding the weather... Our kids do tend to be pretty resilient. They aren't privledged, and they really aren't complainers. I know it would require a lot of planning and prep, but I can't help but feel like we could handle it. We're from Chicago, so during August, we average 80F+ and humidity in the 50's. I know that there's a big difference between 50 and 80 percent humidity, but it's not like we're coming from Arizona where it's bone dry. Plus, the way I figure it... people do travel there. People do live there. So somehow people survive

Finally, regarding allergies... We can either live in fear or find ways to make it work. And while I trust this forum for flight/hotel information more than any other, there are other forums that I trust more for dealing with allergies while traveling

A few links for those that are intersted in why we chose Japan in particular:
http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/...avel-with-a-pa
http://travel.cnn.com/which-country-...fferers-783356
http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/the...gies-in-japan/

Not comprehensive in the least, but a few of the many articles/posts we based our decision on.

All that said, really apprecaite the discourse and advice. Figure you can never have too many opinions. We're wavering on whether to do Japan or to bail and just go to Europe or something. But if we can make Japan work, we'd really like to.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:21 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

As for the whole Tokyo thing, I don't know why you keep bringing it up, RTW1... I totally understand your opinion, but if spending 7 nights in one hotel allows us to take the trip at all, then I don't know why you keep being a downer about it.
I'm sorry, but wasn't it you who asked for advice.... then you should factor in that you get a different opinion than yours. In your first post you indicated your trip would last 14 days, 9 of which you would spend in Tokyo. Not a very balanced trip if you ask me (and you did).

But I can surely understand your reasoning for going during the summer. And as LapLap has said there is a point to be made to not go traveling around the country but concentrating on short trips.

And I could, and have, spend a lot of days in Tokyo. My first trip consisted of just Tokyo and Kyoto.... but after that I started appreciating the Japan outside of the big cities. And that's something that I feel is a shame to miss.

So have fun whatever you choice will be.....
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: A3,BA
teach42 I get your determination.
What is strange, is that you ask for recommendations and/or support.
Spring 2015 is the best option, August 2014 is the worst.

Whenever you go, you will make it work and you will have fun if you really want to. But you knew what all others would say when you wrote:
...would you recommend that we completely avoid it?

There is no point on trying to persuade others that you will have fun. (1/10000 of the fun you will have in Spring though)
Just accept that it is the worst possible period and go with it.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I looked around to get a sense of what people who live in Tokyo do about coping potentially lethal allergies and wasn't able to come up with any actual horror stories.

I am not in a position to make recommendations or give advice to you in this matter (and feel very fortunate that I've not had direct experience relating to my own family) but I don't think the risks are greater in Japan in relation to being in much of Europe.

There are some steps you can take that will help minimise your risks.

Firstly, there are many Japanese people who are quite appalled by much of the food industry and by the lack of knowledge and control offered to them about what they get to put into their bodies. This may not be a sizeable percentage of the population but it is, considering the sheer size of Tokyo, a huge number of people all the same. My suggestion is that you tap into this. What you want are restaurants that understand and take pride in each of their ingredients. I can assure you that these do exist - and they might be easier to find and more affordable than in Europe.

I personally don't eat meat and animal products except fish, but there are no health implications if this doesn't happen. I am well aware that despite my cards and requests I've eaten meats and meat fats that were in meals, I also know that I didn't take enough steps to avoid this having just strolled into places off the street, particularly chain restaurants (I only have myself to blame by going to a Yoshinoya on my first visit to Japan 10 years ago, the waitrose dutifully made sure there were no large meat pieces in my plain noodles and accompanying beef broth).

I'll post now (so I don't lose info) and try and compile something of a list for you.
Some of the restaurants that source organic foods are listed in this blog: http://tokyoorganicmio.blogspot.co.u...c%20Restaurant

A small chain of restaurants offering organic produce : Nouka no Daidokoro http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/201.../#.Urhbk7IgGSM

Either the chef or his sous chef at Anis in Hatsudai (near Shinjuku) will bring your food to the table, and kitchen is open plan. Lunch (from 1,500yen for two courses) is very affordable here. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/201.../#.UrhdALIgGSM

There are tons of places that sell soba noodles in Tokyo but only a small percentage make handmade truly artisanal soba with freshly ground buckwheat flour. But, again, that's still quite a few. Soba noodles should not have peanut as an ingredient but in your position I would avoid a cheap soba restaurant as it is possible that peanut oil is used for the tempura. Narutomi is one of those handmade soba places, also unusual in that the kitchen is open plan - http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/201...c-combination/

Tokyo farmers markets - as well as the produce these would be a good place to get recommendations from some of those local shoppers who actually care about what they eat.
http://www.japanfarmersmarkets.com

With all of these suggestions, do please contact the restaurant and state your requirements in advance of your visit. This would be the best way to help ensure there are no tragic consequences. Perhaps you can send a list to the hotel you plan on staying at and ask the concierge to do this for you.

Last edited by LapLap; Dec 23, 2013 at 9:43 am
Old Dec 23, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
A few thoughts.

Heat/humidity is really bad in August..... but bearable as long as you know what to expect. Shorts, hats, sandals will help.... and lot's of water. Take a lot of breaks at coffee shops, department stores, parks, etc.

I think 5 days in Kyoto and 7 in Tokyo are fine. You can take day/overnight trips . Worse case you can be booked at Mariott but stay someone else for a night. There are a lot of good day trips from Tokyo.

I'd be really careful about the allergies. Assume you have epi-pens or whatever. That said, I've traveled in Japan with someone with a peanut allergy. He carried a card and most restaurants were pretty sensitive and understood well. Be especially careful about pre-packaged or pre-made food like salad dressings or fried chicken that might have peanut oil. I assume you know all that stuff.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Walkerplus has published a few lists of restaurants in and around Tokyo that *supposedly* have allergy friendly options on their menus:
http://family.walkerplus.com/img_all...backnumber.php

The lists are by area. In each list, the icon to look out for in the restaurant guide is the one on the far right, with the kanji "落花生”(Rakkasei), which is the Japanese word for peanuts. The English word "peanuts" (always plural) is widely understood.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.