Uber in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Thanks for your replies, very useful indeed... ^
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
27k seems like a lot for the trip into Tokyo, nearly 10x the JR train or the limo-bus. Even more so with consideration to the Keisei trains.

Maybe my frugality is at play here. Plus I usually travel alone so have no economies of scale. Perhaps others would consider it money well spent, but almost $240.00 for a one-way ride?
Originally Posted by joejones
I've done it with kids and luggage, when the alternatives would be a colossal hassle. For a single traveler, yeah, probably not worth it.
I guess it only makes sense if your company is paying for it. Since I only travel for leisure, that's totally off limits...
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Heading to HND from the Grand Hyatt Tokyo on Sunday evening.

Any recommendations for a car transfer other than just hopping in a normal taxi? For a better experience (at the same or similar price) or simply something cheaper (also a car though)?

Last time I tried Uber (year back?) they sent a normal taxi. Cost seemed the same.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by ainternational
Heading to HND from the Grand Hyatt Tokyo on Sunday evening.

Any recommendations for a car transfer other than just hopping in a normal taxi? For a better experience (at the same or similar price) or simply something cheaper (also a car though)?

Last time I tried Uber (year back?) they sent a normal taxi. Cost seemed the same.
Uber Black. Usually a Crown, sometimes a van, occasionally a Lexus or Bimmer. Always in very good condition. Nicely dressed driver. Same price as a taxi.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 8:34 pm

I took Uber Black from Shibuya to Haneda mid Feb and the gentleman driver was driving a Toyota minivan that's actually nice, not Dodge minivan or anything like that. It's a little bit pricey, but having a luggage plus a futon (don't ask! :P) it actually worked out well.

The driver was a retired human resource manager for an American company and he speaks good English, but I ended up speaking Japanese with him most of the time since well, I want to practice my Japanese haha. He told me that most of his customers are foreigners and speak English.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Interestingly the Japanese taxi companies released their own app a while back in response to the whole uber thing. It's called 全国タクシー("nationwide taxi") and lets you hail a cab from really anywhere in the country. It tells you how long it'll take for the cab to come, lets you see the car's progress as it's approaching (just like uber). The fare is the same as if you called up a taxi company - standard fare plus something like 400 yen for a reservation charge. I don't think uber is ever going to really catch up in Japan, but this app is getting a lot more popular: http://www.japantaxi.jp/

There's no English mode so it's useless for most tourists though. I wonder if they will release an English version in the future...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
The last couple of times I tried to use the Japan Taxi app (on weekday mornings when it was raining), it didn't work because Nihon Kotsu's booking network was overloaded...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Launched the Uber app Sunday night at 10pm or so in Roppongi. Advertisement for a 30% discount to HND from various zones. Prices still looked identical to a taxi (~7K from Roppongi Hills to HND).

Anyways, no cars available was listed, thus I hopped in a taxi. Told the driver I was in a rush, have never gotten to HND faster. Total fare was about 6300, not horrible, and less than Uber's discounted rate. Of course it was a typical tiny cab, certainly nothing special.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Hello, are there any pick up or drop off restrictions at Shinagawa Station?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:48 pm

Apparently nobody tested the new version of the app in Japan. Terrible. I'll be using taxis for the time being.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
Apparently nobody tested the new version of the app in Japan. Terrible. I'll be using taxis for the time being.
Typical big company BS, evidently at a "unicorn" too. Apparently their thousands of engineers can't even get their simple app right.

As you might well agree, often times a small and well oiled team can run circles around poorly organized larger and better funded groups.

Personally I went back to taxis and hotel cars across Asia.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 2:45 am

I downloaded the Taxi App. Cars aren't as nice Uber Black, but it's cheaper, cars arrive sooner, no BS surge pricing, and the drivers know the roads a lot better.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:33 am

I can't believe how completely unusable the app has become. It's incredible.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I stopped using JapanTaxi recently when I found out that if you use the app in English (or any language other than Japanese), it tells the driver that your name is "gaikokujin-sama" (Mr./Mrs. Foreigner) instead of giving them your actual name.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Deleted

Last edited by jib71; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.