Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Uber in Tokyo

Uber in Tokyo

Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:54 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Seems the fares from HND airport to the city are fixed rates, anybody tried it before?
Uber app shows HND to Sheraton Miyako Tokyo has a fixed rate of JPY6,100. Will give it a try when I'm there around end March. Hopefully there's availability on a thursday evening.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Is Uber (or other factors) pushing down taxi prices? Just paid 5400 from Roppongi Hills to HND. Used to pay 7500 a few months back, rather consistently, at the same time of day.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by ainternational
Is Uber (or other factors) pushing down taxi prices? Just paid 5400 from Roppongi Hills to HND. Used to pay 7500 a few months back, rather consistently, at the same time of day.
No change, but sounds like you got a cabbie that didn't take the highway? I paid 5500 from Ebisu to HND recently when I instructed him to not take the kosoku (looked at traffic and realized it'd only save a few minutes).

No changes in published taxi fares.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:37 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by hamburgler
No change, but sounds like you got a cabbie that didn't take the highway? I paid 5500 from Ebisu to HND recently when I instructed him to not take the kosoku (looked at traffic and realized it'd only save a few minutes).

No changes in published taxi fares.
Interesting! He definitely took the highway.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by ainternational
Interesting! He definitely took the highway.
I'm pretty sure you underpaid then.. the toll would be 930 + the mileage. You're looking at around 20km, and the first 2km would be 730 then 90 yen for every 280m... I calc out a minimum fare of around 6500 + toll which would be 7430... there is no fixed-fare option from Minato-ku to the airport (there is from Shibuya-ku, but it's 6,400 JPY + toll = 7,330...).

I just calced out my route from Ebisu to HND and got a minimum of around 5800... so I underpaid. Might have had a favorable meter...
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:27 am

Isn't there that one Kyoto-based taxi company, MK taxi, that has lower rates than the usual Tokyo taxi? I get them sometimes by accident, and the rate is always less than I would usually pay. Maybe that's what happened?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Isn't there that one Kyoto-based taxi company, MK taxi, that has lower rates than the usual Tokyo taxi? I get them sometimes by accident, and the rate is always less than I would usually pay. Maybe that's what happened?
MK does have the lower flagfall (640 JPY but for only 1.72km instead of 2km) but their rates subsequently are the same as other taxis (90 JPY for 0.28km). They do have better surcharges (23-5 at 10% as opposed to 22-5 at 20%+) but I'm still baffled at how the rate could be anywhere close to 5000 from Roppongi...
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Probably took the Oi Keibajo wormhole.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jib71
Probably took the Oi Keibajo wormhole.
That wouldn't do it, unless he took the Ooi Keibajo one.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
That wouldn't do it, unless he took the Ooi Keibajo one.
Macrons are like coppers - You can never find one when you need one.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
The question was asked upthread (back in 2014), but things can evolve quickly so I'd like to ask again: is it easy to find an Uber at NRT and how much will it cost for a ride to central Tokyo?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by JohnRain
The question was asked upthread (back in 2014), but things can evolve quickly so I'd like to ask again: is it easy to find an Uber at NRT and how much will it cost for a ride to central Tokyo?
I just logged into the Uber app and did the estimate. Seems it's a fixed price of JPY27k throughout Tokyo, even to HND.

Not sure about availability, you might want to login to the app and check when it's about the time of your arrival on different days to see how it is.

That's the good thing about Uber, you can key in your source and destination even when you're not at the location to check the pricing.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I just logged into the Uber app and did the estimate. Seems it's a fixed price of JPY27k throughout Tokyo, even to HND.
Yes, they have flat fees for both HND and NRT.
https://www.uber.com/cities/tokyo/

However, if you're flying to NRT, I would strongly recommend just booking an MK taxi instead. (http://www.tokyomk.com/en/airport.html) MK operates Uber Black in Tokyo, so you are getting the exact same car and service, the price is basically the same, and they will wait for you in the terminal with a placard.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
27k seems like a lot for the trip into Tokyo, nearly 10x the JR train or the limo-bus. Even more so with consideration to the Keisei trains.

Maybe my frugality is at play here. Plus I usually travel alone so have no economies of scale. Perhaps others would consider it money well spent, but almost $240.00 for a one-way ride?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
27k seems like a lot for the trip into Tokyo, nearly 10x the JR train or the limo-bus. Even more so with consideration to the Keisei trains.

Maybe my frugality is at play here. Plus I usually travel alone so have no economies of scale. Perhaps others would consider it money well spent, but almost $240.00 for a one-way ride?
I've done it with kids and luggage, when the alternatives would be a colossal hassle. For a single traveler, yeah, probably not worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.