Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
I like the tiny import market in Omotesando, in the basement of the building that houses the MOMA (New York Museum of Modern Art) store.

Address B1 Gyre, 5-10-1 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

I think that's the right address.

There is a flipping amazing bread shop down there too next door.

Sorry to be off topic. Incidentally, the darn bread store is CASH ONLY.
Kaldi closed a few months ago. There is D'un Rarete (excuse the spelling )the bread shop and also a Magnolia Bakery beside that Hawaiian Pancake place !
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by lobsterdog
There's a Meiji-ya supermarket in the basement of the Marunouchi Bldg and a Seijo Ishii supermarket in the basement of the Shin-Marunouchi Bldg. And of course massive food markets in the Gransta complex in the basement of Tokyo station and the depachika basement of the Daimaru Department store.

They all take credit cards (although a surprising number of Tokyo supermarkets are cash-only, or take only obscure credit cards).
Please give me an example of a supermarket in Tokyo that does not take credit cards. And what do you mean by "obscure" CC?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Please give me an example of a supermarket in Tokyo that does not take credit cards. And what do you mean by "obscure" CC?
Yeah, I was surprised too. I guess an obscure credit card is when you go to Aeon and they only take Aeon credit cards (just a hypothetical example, as I can't remember the exact details of where this actually happened). Not super-obscure, just not a major name like Visa or Amex.

As for no credit cards, the Yoshiya SainE in front of Ushigomeyanigocho station takes cash only. The Deli F on Yasukuni-dori just east of Ichigaya station is also cash only.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by emma69
As a homesick brit who has quite obscene cravings for Waitrose (and M&S) could you tell me if there is a Peacock near Tokyo station? I had a look on the website, but found my auto-translate of it somewhat confusing.
At the other end of the scale, thou can get Asda products in Seiyu shops (both supermarkets are owned by Walmart). Would that substitute for Waitrose stuff ?

Seiyu also take credit cards, but charge for bags.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:57 pm

I just recently returned from a holiday in Kyushu, so I thought to share my experience here and share some data points. I hope it isn't bad form to revive a thread that is a year old. Bear in mind, I spent over 10+ days in the Kyushu countryside towns, and 3 full days in the bigger cities of Beppu, Oita and Fukuoka, so the acceptance rate is somewhat lower.

Hotels - Most ryokans we stayed at accepted credit cards, but a couple did express a specific preference (Visa) and I did have luck using a Amex at a bigger ryokan. For those that specified a preference for Visa, I didn't ask about MCs as I didn't bring one. There was a ryokan in one of the countryside towns which had a cash-only rate for rooms on its online portal, which my friends did not spot when they booked it, but I did when I scrutinized the email. Luckily we did have enough cash to pay upon checkout. This is something to watch out for when the website and/or confirmation email is in Japanese - do scrutinize the translated content in Google Translate, and look for potential surprises instead of scrolling through the content.

Restaurants - If the restaurant is likely to be frequented by tourists, chances are that it will accept credit cards. If it is more frequented by locals or is a smaller establishment, it more often will not accept cards. A rule of thumb is generally to assume they do not, or ask before ordering. For smaller cafes or stalls selling snacks under 1000 to 2000 yen, its easier to use cash.

Shopping - For shops selling local products, there is a greater likelihood of accepting cards if they have high tourist traffic. Especially for spots that may have high volume of tourists from China, Unionpay acceptance is advertised. For supermarkets, most do accept credit cards, although we did have a unexpected surprise when a supermarket in Minami-Aso did not take credit cards when a bigger store of the same chain in a neighbouring town did.

Attractions - The admission fees for most attractions are quite low - approx. <1000 yen. Generally, the experience was that if the admission fee per head was <1000 yen, the admissions counter was unlikely to take credit cards. For more specialized attractions (theme parks, animal parks/safaris) with higher admission fees of 2000yen and above, they are likely to take cards.

Hope the above information helps!
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
My experience at supermarket/hypermart type places is that they may take credit cards at some registers, but not all. So if they sell big ticket items (furniture, jewelry, etc.), the registers in those areas will take credit cards, but if you check out in the supermarket area, they won't accept cards there.

Also one of my Japanese friends told me that Starbucks takes credit cards (just like in the US), but she claims to be the only person in Tokyo who ever uses on there - she got in the habit of using a card at Starbucks when she lived in the US (I'm sure she's not the only person in Tokyo who uses a card there, but it made me laugh when she said that.)

Last edited by manderwa; Dec 10, 2015 at 11:16 pm Reason: typo. fat fingers.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by manderwa
My experience at supermarket/hypermart type places is that they may take credit cards at some registers, but not all. So if they sell big ticket items (furniture, jewelry, etc.), the registers in those areas will take credit cards, but if you check out in the supermarket area, they won't accept cards there.

Also one of my Japanese friends told me that Starbucks takes credit cards (just like in the US), but she claims to me the only person in Tokyo who ever uses on there - she got in the habit of using a card at Starbucks when she lived in the US (I'm sure she's not the only person in Tokyo who uses a card there, but it made me laugh when she said that.)
Starbucks definitely takes credit card. I paid with credit card to buy their limited edition Christmas Starbucks card .
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by BalbC
Seiyu also take credit cards, but charge for bags.
That is mandatory in many countries already (i.e. UK/HK.)
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Aventine
Starbucks definitely takes credit card. I paid with credit card to buy their limited edition Christmas Starbucks card .
That costs money?
Why not transfer funds from your own *bucks card to this holiday Starbucks card?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:01 am

Because you cannot get an empty card for free.

The minimum charge is Ą 1000 and you can spend all the money. How you choose to charge it afterwards is up to you.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:30 am

Just returned from Japan (6 days Tokyo, 4 days Kyoto/Nara/Osaka).

I was concerned about the cash/credit issue, but in these areas we had no problem!

Upon landing we withdrew about 50k Yen for "emergencies" from a 7-11 ATM. We used Credit nearly everywhere, except at temples and for souvenir/gifts. I checked on all of our dinner/lunch plans to see whether they took credit ahead of time, and most accepted CCs, same with our hotels (including Ryokan and temple guest house).
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:02 pm

Credit cards are accepted at more and more places. But there're still some chains (let alone independent places) that don't take credit card. Three F konbini、Mister Donuts (at least, the last two shops I was at), First Kitchen, Gogo Curry, etc.

It seems that most restaurants with the shokken system (pre-pay your order at a vending machine and you get a ticket that you hand to the staff) don't take cc.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Recently visited Yudanaka Onsen and found that some of the shops accept cards. I was surprised since its in the countryside. What I found kind of confusing is that some Lawson's konbini don't always indicate they accept cards. I went three days to the same Lawson's in Yudanaka before finding out they took cards. Also, it seems that some of the smaller hotel/ryokan (at least in the area I stayed) can accept cards but would rather take cash.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gradfly
Recently visited Yudanaka Onsen and found that some of the shops accept cards. I was surprised since its in the countryside. What I found kind of confusing is that some Lawson's konbini don't always indicate they accept cards. I went three days to the same Lawson's in Yudanaka before finding out they took cards.
Pretty sure all Lawsons accept cards, even if there may not be a sign posted to indicate it. Yudanaka Onsen area gets a lot of foreign tourists passing through, so it doesn't surprise me that a lot of shops take cc.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by mkjr
I would add that sometimes, I get Yen Denominated TC's in Canada at a rate that is not bad actually.

The rate on CAD TC's is decent. I usually use CAD TC's or take Yen TC's and exchange at NRT or HND.
Is using/bringing Traveller's Cheques to Japan still a relevant or viable solution in 2017 ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.