Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Shopping is one of my many vices and I've nothing but great things in Japan haha.

I think I'll follow peoples advice here and go for 90-100k jpy and rest in my AMEX.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

I'm off, soon! Weeee!
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:02 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by flipstah
So after much planning, my trip to Japan is finalized and ready to go!

With a strong exchange rate, 1CDN:92Yen, it's a very good time to go and see the Land of the Rising Sun.

My question is, should I be leaning towards bringing more cash or just use my credit card for majority of purchases?

Usually, I bring cash>credit card because of bartering power but I read around that the Japanese aren't accustomed to bartering and consider it rude (verify?).

Thoughts?

Dōmo arigatō!
Have fun on your trip!

I try to use a credit card with no FOREX fees when possible. At this point - my major non-credit card purchases for my upcoming trip will be at some restaurants. So I'm bringing (more than enough) cash to cover those and other incidental fees (my local buy/sell at my local bank are better than yours - albeit not by much). Robyn
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by robyng
Have fun on your trip!

I try to use a credit card with no FOREX fees when possible. At this point - my major non-credit card purchases for my upcoming trip will be at some restaurants. So I'm bringing (more than enough) cash to cover those and other incidental fees (my local buy/sell at my local bank are better than yours - albeit not by much). Robyn
There aren't too many in Canada, though.
(That being said, I have access to credit cards in other nations.)
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:47 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
There aren't too many in Canada, though.
(That being said, I have access to credit cards in other nations.)
I for the most part am using the Chase Sapphire card now for a non-FOREX card (because of its affiliation with the UA miles program). Although other cards may work for other people.

Also - the exchange rates are good on that card. I trade some currency stuff from time to time. And keep charts. On our trips to Canada last month - and Stockholm late last year - the exchange rates were spot on.

I don't use AMEX abroad - because it has some pretty hefty FOREX fees. Robyn
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Eh, I use my Costco AmEx in Japan despite the forex fee if I want something expensive or breakable- if something happens within the purchase protection period, they'll cover it with little to no hassle (I've claimed a phone before- one online form and 48 hours later and I had my money back) and I'm only out the forex fee. The same can't be said of Bluebird, but oh well.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:02 pm
In memoriam

Good point Jamar - but I don't tend to buy stuff when I'm traveling. The mileage of other people may vary. Robyn
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Another Canadian responds!

We've spent October 2008 and 2010 in Japan travelling independently.
Firstly, DO NOT take Canadian cash to exchange in Japan; you'll lose big time! Change all cash into Yen before leaving home - and do familiarise yourself with the money as this is your first trip.

In essence Japan is primarily a cash society, and cash is / can be used for everything, even hotel bills. Canadian visa cards (pin and chip) worked fine in Japan in 2010.

We did not observe anyone using debit cards in Japan, although we used ours in Europe a lot.

What to see and where to go is a matter of choice. We loved Hakone - use the Hakone Free Pass, as well as Kyoto-Oaska and several days spent in Hiroshima.

One major difference for Canadians visiting Japan is the abundance of politeness we encounter everywhere. Rudeness, abruptness, displays of impatience is practically non existent. Japanese people have a passionate habit of adhering rigidly to rules. If a hotel check-in time is 2.00pm they would not dream of attempting to arrive at 1.55pm!

Enjoy your trip to a wonderful contry!

Last edited by TemboOne; Aug 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reason: clarification
Old Aug 8, 2013, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Update! No issues with the AMEX in Tokyo! Widely accepted except one or two places and MC took over as backup foe them.

Switching to cash soon because my yen barely got worked on lol!
Old Aug 8, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
When a CC transaction "backfires," do you get a rejection slip or something like that in case of further disputes?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aster
When a CC transaction "backfires," do you get a rejection slip or something like that in case of further disputes?
I usually have one that says 'TRANSACTION NOT COMPLETED/DECLINED'
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by aster
depends.

AMEX didn't work at one restaurant which I know they do accept it. Got no slip. I guess it depends on why it's not working.

At another place PIN-enabled MC was not accepted with message (in Japanese) displayed on the terminal. Again no slip.

These were probably network-related errors.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88
depends.

AMEX didn't work at one restaurant which I know they do accept it. Got no slip. I guess it depends on why it's not working.

At another place PIN-enabled MC was not accepted with message (in Japanese) displayed on the terminal. Again no slip.

These were probably network-related errors.
You could have taken the terminal and performed a manual to test...
(enter card number, exp date, CSC if applicable)
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Are ATM withdrawal limits per transaction reasonable in Japan? Any issues if I need to withdraw 10k Yen in one go?

Just asking as some countries have smaller limits per transaction so if I have to break up into multiple withdrawals then I'll get hit with that many more charges...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
10K JPY is roughly 100 usd.

Check with your bank to see what your daily withdrawal limit is, because this could be different from the ATM limit. Japan being still a cash based society, large withdrawals from ATMs are not abnormal.

It is very much possible to withdrawal 1 million yen at the ATM in one go if your limit allows it.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
10K JPY is roughly 100 usd.
Which can be gone in about half a day if you're not careful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.