Reload this Page >

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards or Cash in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Always use a CC when you can, one with no foreign transaction fees obviously. Taxis, hotel, stores, everywhere. Why not get the points and save on conversion fees.

But I always carry at least 30,000 Yen with me as well for situations where a CC won't work such as various restaurants, bars or smaller stores.

First out is always the CC though, no reason not to try it.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Please see the horrible exchange rate for CAD cash in Japan. http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

Preferred modes of fundings (starting with the lowest cost):

1. No fee USD T/C funded from a USD account
2. No fee CAD T/C
3. CC
4. ATM (Plus and Cirrus)
5. USD cash
6. CAD cash

I have only used 1 ,3, 4, though carry all of the above except #2. Well because in Canada, no Forex CC is hard to find and I don't like the offering. Likewise for ATM.

I also use CC for everything, purchases as little as 500yen.

Chip-and-PIN cards: No problem with Visa/MC everywhere. AMEX rejected by JR ticket machine(MC was ok), accepted at ticketing office - though for different transactions.

Last edited by beep88; Jul 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by beep88
Please see the horrible exchange rate for CAD cash in Japan. http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

1. No fee USD T/C funded from my USD account
2. CC
3. ATM (Plus and Cirrus)
4. No fee CAD T/C
5. USD cash
6. CAD cash

I have only used 1 - 3, though carry all of the above except #4.

Chip-and-PIN cards: No problem with Visa/MC everywhere. AMEX rejected by JR ticket machine(MC was ok), accepted at ticketing office - though for different transactions.
1:87?! Eff that noise!

Buying USD to bring or buy it in advance here in Canada.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
if you buy USD, that defeats the purpose, unless you are bank staff and can buy USD for cheap.

No fee CAD T/C is the next best option. (notice I updated the order of the list).
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Jamar said that you pay $5 plus 2.5% for ATM with a typical Canadian bank. That's horrendous. The $3 flat fee option is ok. Withdraw $300 and you are paying 1%.

This problem is not isolated to traveling in Japan for Canadians. If I were Canadian (and a frequent traveler) then I would look at other options such as opening a bank account in the US with Capital One, for example, which charges no fee and interbank rate. But maybe it is not worth it if these same Canadian banks probably fleece you in the CAD to USD conversion when you need to transfer funds to the US bank.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

if you buy USD, that defeats the purpose, unless you are bank staff and can buy USD for cheap.

No fee CAD T/C is the next best option. (notice I updated the order of the list).
By "T/C", you mean traveler's cheques right?

Originally Posted by gnaget
Jamar said that you pay $5 plus 2.5% for ATM with a typical Canadian bank. That's horrendous. The $3 flat fee option is ok. Withdraw $300 and you are paying 1%.

This problem is not isolated to traveling in Japan for Canadians. If I were Canadian (and a frequent traveler) then I would look at other options such as opening a bank account in the US with Capital One, for example, which charges no fee and interbank rate. But maybe it is not worth it if these same Canadian banks probably fleece you in the CAD to USD conversion when you need to transfer funds to the US bank.

Yup, my TD is $5 +2.5%, which is disgusting. I can upgrade my account so it's free foreign transactions but at $30/month (unless you carry a positive balance), I'd rather utilize cash + my Amex Platinum so that I get SOMETHING back.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Yes, T/C seems to mean traveler's checks in Japan.

And if you're wondering what bank charges a flat $3, it's ICBK, the Canadian division of a Chinese mega-bank. Not so "mega" in Canada, though- 2 branches in/near Vancouver and I think 4 or 5 in/near Toronto. But hey, with an account with unlimited transactions for no fee or minimum balance it's a sweet deal for someone like me who visits every so often.

And as a bonus, it's UnionPay- less worrying about finding an ATM that'll take your card, since you can use some of the Japanese big-bank ATMs as well (and Aeon, and Bank of Kyoto ATMs).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: FT

2. No fee CAD T/C
3. CC
4. ATM (Plus and Cirrus)
5. USD cash
6. CAD cash

I have only used 1 ,3, 4, though carry all of the above except #2. Well because in Canada, no Forex CC is hard to find and I don't like the offering. Likewise for ATM.

I would add that sometimes, I get Yen Denominated TC's in Canada at a rate that is not bad actually.

The rate on CAD TC's is decent. I usually use CAD TC's or take Yen TC's and exchange at NRT or HND.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

2. No fee CAD T/C
3. CC
4. ATM (Plus and Cirrus)
5. USD cash
6. CAD cash

Thanks for that link, beep88! It helped a lot in determining which way to go.

Since CAD-->JPY is a joke in Narita, my options are either:

USD->JPY or CAD->JPY

I don't have USD right off the bat so I have to go CAD->USD->JPY, which makes it a complete loser:

TD is my bank rate while Calforex is the Canadian forex kiosk that I know. They charge a flat rate of $3.50CAD, regardless of amount or currency.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Wow, TD is worse than Japanese banks. Right now the interbank is 0.970 bid. CAD/USD.

Looks like Calforex is charging more than 3%. Plus a fee. Awful.

My bank in Europe charges 0.1% for forex in any currency.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Its what I have to work with, unfortunately.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
Its what I have to work with, unfortunately.
i think CAD TC's are the best way to go and exchange at the airport. the rate between US TC's and CAD TC's is better than convering into US first.

if you have an RBC avion card, there is no charge for TC's. also, the rate to buy TC's in Yen at RBC is not too bad and if you compare to the airport, it is close.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:23 am
Original Poster

I'm finding out the rate for TCs within TD. I don't have RBC, unfortunately.

Is there a limit on how much Narita can exchange for TCs?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by flipstah
I'm finding out the rate for TCs within TD. I don't have RBC, unfortunately.

Is there a limit on how much Narita can exchange for TCs?
not that i am aware of. not sure about all hotels, but the Gravia in Kyoto, Hiroshima and also the Park Hotel in Tokyo had no issues cashing yen denominated TC's. NRT was also very easy with CAD$ TC's.
[if you were in YYZ, i could just go the bank and get you TC's at no charge... ]
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
There aren't any other banking options in that part of Canada?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.