Wiki Posts
Search

NRT to eliminate extra passport checks [as of Mar 31 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2013, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
NRT to eliminate extra passport checks [as of Mar 31 2015]

Nikkei reports this morning that NRT is installing 150 new security cameras, including 70 cameras linked to a facial-recognition system, so that they will be able to eliminate the passport checks for everyone coming into the terminals. No word on exactly how long the checks will continue, but there does appear to be an end in sight...

Link (in Japanese, subscription required): http://www.nikkei.com/paper/article/...Y3A620C1CR8000
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Assume this is airport entrance not immigration. The check at the entrance has been so perfunctory for so long, I can only imagine it was for job preservation. They must have found another non-productive function for the security personnel to perform.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA MP
The ironic thing is that, if one really wanted to bypass the passport check, all they would have to do is simply buy a ticket on a domestic flight to Narita.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Good news!

Last month was my first time departing from NRT in years (I usually transit through or use HND), so the passport check after getting off N'EX caught me and quite a few other trains passengers off guard. I wish there was some announcement as we were pulling into the NRT stations as lugging a large suitcase and fumbling around for my passport was not exactly fun.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by acregal
The ironic thing is that, if one really wanted to bypass the passport check, all they would have to do is simply buy a ticket on a domestic flight to Narita.
But in that case, your bags would have been inspected before you got to NRT, so I guess they're cool with that.

I wonder how they'd respond if a Japanese person with no ID showed up to take a domestic flight from NRT... ID isn't required for domestic, is it? Or did that change?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 6:26 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I thought the inspection was required for anyone entering the airport, whether or not they're flying. (Unless you're talking about some other ID check...?)
Old Jun 28, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I thought the inspection was required for anyone entering the airport, whether or not they're flying. (Unless you're talking about some other ID check...?)
No. That's the one. And you're right, it's an ID check and inspection to enter the airport, regardless of the purpose of your visit.

But if someone who is not legally obliged to carry ID on their person is taking a domestic flight for which ID is not required (I think), I just wonder what the agents at the inspection counter would do. Given Narita's history, I wonder if they'd have the sense just to inspect the person's bags and let them pass.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
My understanding is that the inspection portion was reserved primarily for Japanese citizens. Foreigners presenting a non-Japanese passport get waived through, but Japanese citizens may be pulled over for inspection (although in practice it rarely happens). My understanding was that the whole point was to protect the airport from domestic terrorism by the local farmers and others that are militantly opposed to it, and not for general aviation safety.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
My understanding is that the inspection portion was reserved primarily for Japanese citizens.
Yes. The checks at the airport perimeter and railway station were primarily aimed at protecting the airport itself from domestic militants. The decision to move to cameras with face recognition is probably down to the fact that they know who the militants are. You can be sure that the police have been monitoring them for the last few decades.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Also, they don't seem to even require passports at the entrance inspections. I've gone through twice by just showing my NEXUS card (which otherwise counts for nothing in Japan).
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: UA *G MM
When I have driven people to Narita then my passenger has handed over the passport. I never presented one and they didn't ask for it. I guess a white guy with Shinagawa plates is unlikely to be a Chiba militant.

It's been a while but I am not sure that I went through a checkpoint when taking the shuttle bus from offsite parking?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by jamar
Also, they don't seem to even require passports at the entrance inspections.
Yep. I've used my driver's license when going to the airport to meet people.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. The checks at the airport perimeter and railway station were primarily aimed at protecting the airport itself from domestic militants. The decision to move to cameras with face recognition is probably down to the fact that they know who the militants are. You can be sure that the police have been monitoring them for the last few decades.
Or the fact that the militants now run the offsite parking lots, work at the airport or hotels, or are otherwise dependent on the airport so they have probably redirected their efforts to stopping more international flights at Haneda.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
Yep. I've used my driver's license when going to the airport to meet people.
Even the health insurance cards (no photo) work fine. Honestly, with as cursory a glance as they give things, a card-shaped piece of paper with some scribbles on it would likely pass muster.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 8:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

For the first time yesterday, one of the officials actually looked at my passport photo. That was the second most shocking point of the day, after learning that one of the T1 restaurants didn't have kaki furai.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.