currency exchange

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

currency exchange

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
For me, I'd exchange it for local currency->USD-JPY or local currency->JPY at a forex kiosk (whichever has a better return).

If I was bringing a lot of cash, I'd do 60% JPY, 40% USD. I was thinking for my 2-week trip of bringing ~$1000CDN or ~$1000USD equivalent of JPY (whichever gives a higher return during exchange) then just ride the rest on card.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:46 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by flipstah
If I was bringing a lot of cash, I'd do 60% JPY, 40% USD. I was thinking for my 2-week trip of bringing ~$1000CDN or ~$1000USD equivalent of JPY (whichever gives a higher return during exchange) then just ride the rest on card.
I don't think there's anything to be gained by converting Canadian Dollars to USD in preparation for travel to Japan. You'll lose quite a bit in the course of two currency conversions. Better to use an ATM card and get your yen from a 7-11 or post office ATM.

Last edited by jib71; Jul 17, 2013 at 1:52 am
Old Jul 17, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Here in Singapore the spreads are very tight for most currencies, with the Yen being at 12.64 (sell) 12.75 (buy). I take it I can forget about such small spreads in Tokyo and would be better off bringing some Yen purchased from here (in addition to cards for ATM access)?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:16 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by aster
I take it I can forget about such small spreads in Tokyo and would be better off bringing some Yen purchased from here (in addition to cards for ATM access)?
Yes, that's what I would do. When I visited Japan from Hong Kong, I bought yen beforehand and brought them with me. I had my ATM card as a back up in case I need more money. With ATM fee charged by my HK bank account, I got worse exchange rate with ATM card than buying yen at the bank counter in HK.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by msb0b
Yes, that's what I would do. When I visited Japan from Hong Kong, I bought yen beforehand and brought them with me. I had my ATM card as a back up in case I need more money. With ATM fee charged by my HK bank account, I got worse exchange rate with ATM card than buying yen at the bank counter in HK.
The funny thing about this is that all the no-foreign-ATM-fee UnionPay cards I have are from HK-based banks. Dah Sing charges me nothing to make foreign withdrawals from my account opened at their Shanghai branch. Same with Wing Hang (except that their Shanghai branch is in a location that's inconvenient at best). BEA gives me two free overseas withdrawals a month (but have more than one branch in Shanghai). And all of them have been within .05yen/RMB of the mid-market rate (cash incurs a 2yen/RMB spread- ouch).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:12 pm

Travelers Checks

With all this talk about CC and debit/atm cards and hearing mostly about Visa cards. Are Amex cards accepted in Japan? More importantly, are Amex TC's accepted?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Lamronba
Are Amex cards accepted in Japan?
Yes.

Originally Posted by Lamronba
More importantly, are Amex TC's accepted?
Generally, no. You can exchange them for cash at a bank counter, and maybe use them at a large hotel or department store, but that's about it.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Generally, no. You can exchange them for cash at a bank counter, and maybe use them at a large hotel or department store, but that's about it.
So, no prob exchanging them at the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by jamar
The funny thing about this is that all the no-foreign-ATM-fee UnionPay cards I have are from HK-based banks.
Admittedly anecdote was from a while back, before UnionPay became widespread in Hong Kong and Japan.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:09 pm

I was planning on exchanging dollars for yen for my trip, but when I went to the AAA store, the exchange rate was $1=93 yens plus $10.50 service fee.I decide to hold off for now. I came across this thread and decided I should probably exchange dollars for yen either at the departing airport or at Narita before boarding the Nex Trains. I am worried I won't find an ATM in the airport in time to catch my NEX train to Tokyo Station. I probably should have some cash with me before I leave Narita airport.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:29 pm
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
There are several ATMs in each airport on the first floor (I use Citibank, and they're conveniently near the escalators to the N'EX/K'SEI in T1). The question is whether or not you have a premier banking relationship with any of them (that will help minimize fees for withdrawing).
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by KPT
There are several ATMs in each airport on the first floor (I use Citibank, and they're conveniently near the escalators to the N'EX/K'SEI in T1). The question is whether or not you have a premier banking relationship with any of them (that will help minimize fees for withdrawing).
Thanks. I will double check with my bank before I leave.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
- The first ATM(s) you see just after you exit customs often have long lines during afternoon rush hours. Those at the train station level or departure level do not.

- I always cash T/C at the airport for cash
Old Aug 24, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: Delta
I live in Japan and am trying to bring a large amount of dollars from the US. While in the States last week, I found that my mother's bank offered TC for free, so I bought $9000 worth and brought them back. After exiting customs (KIX) I went to the foreign exchange booth to change into yen. They were nearly 2 yen per dollar more valuable than cash. However, they would only change $3000 per day. Frustrating. Now I have to go to a bank.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by beep88
- The first ATM(s) you see just after you exit customs often have long lines during afternoon rush hours. Those at the train station level or departure level do not.

- I always cash T/C at the airport for cash
This is why I always keep a bit of cash in my Chinese bank accounts if I'm heading to Japan. Thanks to UnionPay, I can skip the lines of people waiting for the 7-Eleven/Post Office/Citi ATMs and head over to the less crowded Mitsubishi-UFJ or Mizuho machines (or Mitsui-Sumitomo, but they charge UnionPay cardholders 75 yen a pop).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.