Community
Wiki Posts
Search

currency exchange

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:02 am
Original Poster

currency exchange

Again - thank you everyone for the suggestions and conversations on this topic - helpful and much appreciated
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by KPT
The only type of place I have yet to be able to use my CC and this is a big one, is the train station, when you need to recharge Suica cards. You still have to use cash for that one (unless they changed it in the last 6 months ).
Yeah, that's a tough one. The machines are different depending on the train line. I have seen some that have a slot for a credit card. I tried once or twice (with a Japanese CC) and it rejected it after I entered my pin. Maybe it doesn't allow it for this specific transaction (re charging Suica/Pasmo).
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by gnaget
Maybe it doesn't allow it for this specific transaction (re charging Suica/Pasmo).
Yes. I think mobile SUICA with an annual fee - as Jamar describes - is the only way to load your SUICA with a CC.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KPT
....Note: Citigold waives the foreign transaction fee, but still charges a non-Citibank ATM fee for withdrawing at...you guessed it, Citibank ATMs in Japan.
For the last year or two, this inane fee seems to have gone away for me.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jib71
Yes. I think mobile SUICA with an annual fee - as Jamar describes - is the only way to load your SUICA with a CC.
IF you can get Japanese CCs, then you can get a View card to load from with no additional annual fee. Since I can't, I just pay the fee and keep racking up Avios/UA miles/etc at places I otherwise couldn't.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
If true, that that would be a deal. I find it hard to believe, however. Please provide the name of your bank and a link to the information that supports what you say - I'm sure many would be interested.

In most cases, you'll find that the exchange rate used by banks or other institutions in the US is very different from the actual rate that day. For example, the Travelex booths in many US airports use an exchange rate that's about 14% different from the actual exchange rate, even though they say "No Commission". Whatever they want to call it, they're making 14% on each exchange. Banks do this too. Be careful to know what you're really getting. Get an actual quote for an actual date, and compare with the actual rate - don't believe anything they tell you about "no commissions!"
Thanks for getting me to double check Steve M. I just went to my bank to day and got a quote. If I buy 3008.94 worth of yen, I get 282,000Y. So that's 6% if my math is right? Plus $7.50 for the transaction fee.

I'm thinking of getting some TCs and maybe a couple of Visa gift cards. Any thoughts on the gift cards, instead of CCs?

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 26, 2014 at 8:39 am Reason: close quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think you will do better getting a US bank account with a Visa/Mastercard debit card, and simply using Japanese ATMs with that.

Traveler's checks get a better rate in Japan but you will probably have to pay a substantial fee to have them issued in the US. Gift cards also have extra fees IIRC.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
I think you will do better getting a US bank account with a Visa/Mastercard debit card, and simply using Japanese ATMs with that.

Traveler's checks get a better rate in Japan but you will probably have to pay a substantial fee to have them issued in the US. Gift cards also have extra fees IIRC.
So I'll skip the gift card and go with TCs and cash. I'm on a budget and need to stick to cash to stay on budget. I'd lose track of spending to quickly with a bank card(not knowing fees or exchange rates wouldn't help either) I'll be able to keep more track of spending with cash and TCs.

Thanks
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Well, the places you exchange your cash at will be happy campers, that's for sure. Personally I'm not fond of letting middlemen needlessly take a cut (and in some cases, a pretty big one, like I saw with the bill exchanger at the Aeon Mall).
Old Jul 13, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
So basically exchanging cash is a bad idea in general, or are there places where the spreads are decent and comparable to doing an ATM withdrawal to pick up some Yen?
Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: UA, NW
Except for exchanging a little cash at the airport, I simply use the ATMs and withdraw as much as I can each time to minimize transaction fees.

I have a daily limit of $500, so it was tough when the yen was at 79 to the dollar on my last trip in October 2012. It meant that withdrawing even „40,000 would put me over the limit, so I survived on „30,000 withdrawals, which meant having to withdraw more frequently. (I paid for hotels with a Capital One credit card--no foreign transaction fee--so the „30,000 was for meals, transportation, and other incidentals. I didn't get a JR Pass, because I never left the Tokyo area on that trip.)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
Except for exchanging a little cash at the airport, I simply use the ATMs and withdraw as much as I can each time to minimize transaction fees.

I have a daily limit of $500, so it was tough when the yen was at 79 to the dollar on my last trip in October 2012. It meant that withdrawing even „40,000 would put me over the limit, so I survived on „30,000 withdrawals, which meant having to withdraw more frequently. (I paid for hotels with a Capital One credit card--no foreign transaction fee--so the „30,000 was for meals, transportation, and other incidentals. I didn't get a JR Pass, because I never left the Tokyo area on that trip.)
Just out of curiosity, How far did Y30,000 get you?

The bank I'm using, I can get free travelers checks, so that's how I'm bringing my money.

Aster; Bringing cash to exchange isn't bad, you just get a better rate with TC's. Using a CC or Debit card is more convenient(since more places take them now). Just talk to your bank to see what the fees are, so you can decide what is better.

I have reasons I can't use anything but cash, so that's the way I have to go. :-)
Old Jul 15, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Lamronba
Just out of curiosity, How far did Y30,000 get you?
Three to four days of meals (including going out drinking and eating with others in my line of work), incidental purchases (newspapers, umbrellas, local crafts), and debits from the Suica for transportation. I eat cheaply when I'm by myself, which is how I can afford those group outings.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
Three to four days of meals (including going out drinking and eating with others in my line of work), incidental purchases (newspapers, umbrellas, local crafts), and debits from the Suica for transportation. I eat cheaply when I'm by myself, which is how I can afford those group outings.
Cool thanks, even if it lasted just 3 days that means I should have enough for my trip. ^
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by aster
So basically exchanging cash is a bad idea in general, or are there places where the spreads are decent and comparable to doing an ATM withdrawal to pick up some Yen?
No. Unless your ATM card has awful fees and that has to be really bad relative to the norm. With some US based ATM cards you can get interbank rate without any fees, so that's impossible to match.

The only place that I have seen really good cash rates has been in Turkey. Of course when things go really down hill like in Argentina right now there is a black (or blue) market for USD and EUR.
http://dolarblue.net/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.