Narita to Hilton Tokyo-Shinjuku

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Narita to Hilton Tokyo-Shinjuku

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
That's why the suggestion was to *not* go through the west exit and instead come out of the new south exit (by Southern Terrace) and get a cab from there.
Old May 26, 2013, 6:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gnaget
It's generally predictable for those of us who spend a lot of time here. I can predictably tell you that it takes 1 hour and 10 min to get to NRT from Shibuya by bus leaving in early morning until 4 pm.
Is the travel time of the bus more dependable when you take it more often? A bit of an exaggerated statement wouldn't you think....

For me, based on my trips I have taken with the bus, the NRT-Tokyo trips have been rather unpredictable and most have taken a little less than two hours to get to Shinjuki. But that's mostly around 8am or 6pm....

The bus to NRT has never been a problem so far.

When I have limited luggage I still prefer the train. And sure, sometimes there are winds, but the chance for that is rather limited.

Both are decent options.....
Old May 26, 2013, 6:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joejones
That's why the suggestion was to *not* go through the west exit and instead come out of the new south exit (by Southern Terrace) and get a cab from there.
I'm not disagreeing with you. The Southern Terrace exit would be the best but there are three other exits with "South" in the name, South Exit (南口), East South Exit (東南口) and New South Exit (新南口) and some are not so convenient for getting a taxi.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:28 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I'm not disagreeing with you. The Southern Terrace exit would be the best but there are three other exits with "South" in the name, South Exit (南口), East South Exit (東南口) and New South Exit (新南口) and some are not so convenient for getting a taxi.
That's not only a good point but the exits keep changing due to construction! However, for the last year or two, there's only been one escalator going up from the N'Ex platform, the one other escalator leaving the platform goes down. You take that up escalator and turn left at the top to get to the best exit.

The escalator going down will eventually lead to the west exit, but you might need a Sherpa to guide you if you want to get there without having to use stairs.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
you might need a Sherpa to guide you if you want to get there without having to use stairs.
I assume the Sherpas bring ropes and pitons to help you avoid using stairs?
Old May 26, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Many thanks for all the insights and suggestions. Last question: Does the bus have a bathroom?
Old May 26, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by 747FC
Many thanks for all the insights and suggestions. Last question: Does the bus have a bathroom?
Yes - On most routes, there's a cramped and somewhat malodorous chemical loo at the back:
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/information/useful/

Not that the train loos are all that much better...
Old May 27, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
My point is that I have a larger data set than you do. I also drive in Tokyo and know the traffic patterns. I don't know how many times you have taken it and the circumstance of your alleged 3 hour trip. I am guessing that you have not taken it too often since you say it's slow and prefer the train.

Similarly, I had a visitor who nearly missed a flight because the NEX was cancelled; arrived past the check-in deadline. In that person's limited experience set the NEX is a complete disaster and should be avoided.

Shinjuku could be slow point to point (if you are staying at the "wrong" hotel) because the buses might stop at multiple hotels. I don't know.

Finally, there is a large board with live traffic conditions next to the ticket counter. I admit it's difficult to decipher if you are not familiar with the highway system.

Originally Posted by RTW1
Is the travel time of the bus more dependable when you take it more often? A bit of an exaggerated statement wouldn't you think....

For me, based on my trips I have taken with the bus, the NRT-Tokyo trips have been rather unpredictable and most have taken a little less than two hours to get to Shinjuki. But that's mostly around 8am or 6pm....

The bus to NRT has never been a problem so far.

When I have limited luggage I still prefer the train. And sure, sometimes there are winds, but the chance for that is rather limited.

Both are decent options.....
Old May 27, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by 747FC
On my last trip, I arrived from customs at :45 and bus at :50. Bought ticket and went to bathroom with time to spare and avoided chemical toilet on bus.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Love this Forum. Helpful people, great advice about travel...even about bathrooms Thanks again!
Old May 27, 2013, 10:39 pm

Travel times for the bus are available online in English in real time:

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/cgi-bi.../busdata_e.cgi

NRT-Shinjuku currently takes 70 minutes (midday on a weekday).
Old May 28, 2013, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Hilton Forum has a thread or two about this hotel, and iirc one post describes how one can use the underground walkways to get to the basement level of the Hilton. It's easier because there's no street crossing, it's protected from weather and as I recall it's not all that tricky (I have used it to and from Shinjuku station).
Old May 28, 2013, 11:07 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Hilton Forum has a thread or two about this hotel, and iirc one post describes how one can use the underground walkways to get to the basement level of the Hilton. It's easier because there's no street crossing, it's protected from weather and as I recall it's not all that tricky (I have used it to and from Shinjuku station).
To the best of my knowledge this would only be doable from a subway stop, most likely nishi-Shinjuku on the Maronouchi line and possibly nishi-Shinjuku-gochome on the Oedo line. In other words, not from Shinjuku station, although I can picture a route from Shinjuku station west exit (underground) that would be covered most of the way, but that route would be confusing enough that I wouldn not recommend it for first timers.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:37 pm

To get to the Hilton by an underground route from Shinjuku you would have to go out the west exit of Shinjuku Station, take the long underground walkway to the Metropolitan Government Building (Tochomae Station), go into the basement of the Sumitomo Building (exit A6), and take the underground corridor from there toward Nishi-Shinjuku Station. Agreed that this is probably too much of a PITA for first-timers.
Old May 29, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
To get to the Hilton by an underground route from Shinjuku you would have to go out the west exit of Shinjuku Station, take the long underground walkway to the Metropolitan Government Building (Tochomae Station), go into the basement of the Sumitomo Building (exit A6), and take the underground corridor from there toward Nishi-Shinjuku Station. Agreed that this is probably too much of a PITA for first-timers.
Are you talking about the passageway that comes out into the Hiltopia underground mall?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.