Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Recommend app(s) to learn a little Japanese?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend app(s) to learn a little Japanese?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
No grammar nerd is going to correct you, Joe. But you need to be a grammar nerd to make sense of the advice that "ga" always denotes a subject. Unfortunately, that's not the situation that applies in the context of someone who wants to learn a little Japanese.
Originally Posted by Pickles
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Never a word more truly spoken. (And when I say never, I mean that there may, in fact, have been some occasions).
Old May 22, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
GA is a tricky business. But I would like to correct ABMJ regarding object market. O is the standard object market as in XXXXX-O kudasai. Give me XXXX.

Joe is correct that GA is by definition a subject marker while WA often refers to the subject it is by definition the topic marker.

But there is also an exception that you use GA in place of O (where O is the object marker) in expressing need or desire. Like XXXXX-GA irimasu. But Osora is making the point that you would use WA if you don't need something. But then shouldn't it be XXXX-O iranai desu? I guess I am still confused on that issue.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
In all of your examples, 'wa' is designating the subject of the sentences - Suzuki-san, Tokyo and watashi. In two of them, 'ga' is referring to the object - nani and hito. The object of a sentence is the part that the verb "operates" on. Ex. Watashi wa nihongo ga wakarimasen. Watashi = subject, nihongo = object because the verb refers to it, not to the subject.

No mas!
I would say Nihongo-O wakarimasen. Or Nihongo-O wakaranaidesu. If you use GA then you are emphasizing relative to something else. Like if the conversation was about different languages. (Or does someone else have a sense of the implication of GA vs. O in this sentence?)

Generally you would omit watashi-wa in this sentence when it is clear.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by gnaget
I would say Nihongo-O wakarimasen. Or Nihongo-O wakaranaidesu.
Then you are speaking broken Japanese. Wakaru doesn't take objects with "o." The correct way to say it is "nihongo ga wakarimasu."

You could say "nihongo o rikai suru" though. Correct grammar though it is not a common expression.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:19 am

But there is also an exception that you use GA in place of O (where O is the object marker) in expressing need or desire. Like XXXXX-GA irimasu. But Osora is making the point that you would use WA if you don't need something. But then shouldn't it be XXXX-O iranai desu? I guess I am still confused on that issue.
Like wakaru/wakarimasu, iru/irimasu is an intransitive verb but native English speakers conceptualize it as being equivalent to a transitive verb in English, and that is the source of the confusion.

Think of "wakaru" as actually meaning "is understood" (thus, nihongo ga wakaru = Japanese is understood [to me]) and "iru" as actually meaning "is needed" (biiru ga iru = beer is needed [for me]).
Old May 23, 2013, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by jib71
Unfortunately, that's not the situation that applies in the context of someone who wants to learn a little Japanese.
This whole thread should illustrate that learning Japanese is fraught with danger.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Then you are speaking broken Japanese. Wakaru doesn't take objects with "o." The correct way to say it is "nihongo ga wakarimasu."

You could say "nihongo o rikai suru" though. Correct grammar though it is not a common expression.
I never claimed to even speak broken Japanese.

Ok, you reminded me of something important re GA vs. O regarding transitive vs. intransitive verbs, but I never put it into a big picture context. I didn't realize that wakaru is intransitive. I also just learned how to use iru (and aru) without it being explained that it is intransitive. I guess that's a big pitfall for non-native Japanese because we extrapolate how the verb is in our other language. I speak two other European languages fluently so it really slaps you in the face how different it is to learn Japanese.

Otherwise, classic examples are hajime vs. hajimaru or shime vs. shimaru where there are different variants for transitive vs. intransitive. Here I was taught the transitive vs. intransitive issue.

So it's doa-ga shimarimasu as the lady says in the elevator or on the subway. Here it is obvious from an English speaker's perspective.
And then John-wa doa-o shimemashita.

But to illustrate another point, it could be John-ga doa-o shimemashita. If you want to make a point that it was John and not someone else. Correct?
Old May 23, 2013, 9:57 pm

But to illustrate another point, it could be John-ga doa-o shimemashita. If you want to make a point that it was John and not someone else. Correct?
Basically. I recall reading a book by Jay Rubin (the Harvard prof best known for translating many of Haruki Murakami's novels into English) where he said one way to differentiate "wa" and "ga" is to remember how they are used in questions. You always say "nani ga...," etc. when asking to identify an unknown subject, but you say "kore wa...," etc. when asking something about a known subject. So when you say "John-ga doa-o shimemashita" it is as if you are answering the question "who closed the door?" When you say "John-wa doa-o shimemashita" it is as if you are answering the question "what did John close?"
Old May 24, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Basically. I recall reading a book by Jay Rubin (the Harvard prof best known for translating many of Haruki Murakami's novels into English) where he said one way to differentiate "wa" and "ga" is to remember how they are used in questions. You always say "nani ga...," etc. when asking to identify an unknown subject, but you say "kore wa...," etc. when asking something about a known subject. So when you say "John-ga doa-o shimemashita" it is as if you are answering the question "who closed the door?" When you say "John-wa doa-o shimemashita" it is as if you are answering the question "what did John close?"
Yes, that's the explanation.

Furthermore, if your version of "I don't understand Japanese" is Nihongo GA wakarimasen, you're either announcing the fact or answering the question "What language don't you understand?' If you say Nihongo wa wakarimasen, you're answering someone's question about whether you speak Japanese.

Those little particles are the bane of foreign learners, just as the proper use of "a" and "the" stymies Japanese people learning English. There are entire workbooks on wa and ga written for the benefit of foreign students at Japanese universities.
Old May 25, 2013, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
But Japanese verbs - sheesh! All those varied forms and endings denoting formality/humility/politeness/etc. Fortunately this dumb gaikokujin tourist isn't expected to get that stuff right. I just stumble along, speaking pidgin, but getting there somehow.

And don't get me started on counters!
Oh come on: Japanese has three, count them, three irregular verbs. OP asked about survival/travel Jpns: You do not need to screw around with anything beyond a plain form and, if you're anal about it, a polite form for word endings. Someone looking for a simple '20 survival phrases in Japanese' doesn't even need to know that much: simple plain form will get by.

Most of you are making Japanese out to be some sort of mystery language. It isn't. Speaking survival Japanese is dead simple. It doesn't help, for example, to have people say "Japanese doesn't have consonants or vowels" when that is plainly wrong. It does. It just, like most languages, doesn't represent them alphabetically.

On the positive side, a lot of the posts did make me laugh.

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; May 25, 2013 at 9:09 am
Old May 25, 2013, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Basically. I recall reading a book by Jay Rubin (the Harvard prof best known for translating many of Haruki Murakami's novels into English) where he said one way to differentiate "wa" and "ga" is to remember how they are used in questions. You always say "nani ga...," etc. when asking to identify an unknown subject, but you say "kore wa...," etc. when asking something about a known subject.
Unless you live in the north of Japan where 'ga' is often substituted for 'wa' anyway. Being 1.8+ metres, blond, and blue eyed and coming out with fluent Tsugaru-ben certainly causes raised eyebrows in Tokyo & anywhere south.

Last edited by SeriouslyLost; May 25, 2013 at 9:18 am Reason: helps if I don't misspell the dialect :)
Old May 25, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Most of you are making Japanese out to be some sort of mystery language. It isn't. Speaking survival Japanese is dead simple. It doesn't help, for example, to have people say "Japanese doesn't have consonants or vowels" when that is plainly wrong. It does. It just, like most languages, doesn't represent them alphabetically.
Fair enough. It does have aiueo, and n (but in that order!). The point I really wanted to make is that you don't pronounce them like you would in English, but "flat", as you would in Spanish. Everything else is vowel-consonant pairs.
Old May 27, 2013, 8:38 pm

There are two irregular verbs: suru and kuru. Are you including aru because the negative is just nai? I guess the ara part was dropped at some point in history.

It's not that simple just because there are only two (or three) irregulars. The conjugation is quite complicated.

It's different if you learn by immersion.

I would advise against using plain form if you are only addressing stranger.

p.s. There is no reason to learn to speak in honorific or humble (except using kudasai) form. Polite is adequate. But tourists (and local expats) will be exposed to service industry people that speak like this on a daily basis. So it becomes helpful to comprehend it.

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Oh come on: Japanese has three, count them, three irregular verbs. OP asked about survival/travel Jpns: You do not need to screw around with anything beyond a plain form and, if you're anal about it, a polite form for word endings. Someone looking for a simple '20 survival phrases in Japanese' doesn't even need to know that much: simple plain form will get by.

On the positive side, a lot of the posts did make me laugh.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:46 pm

Agreed that as a visitor, you should be learning polite form and not plain form. This is how people would generally speak to you (unless they are patronizing you like a small child) and it is how you would generally be expected to speak to them. Plain form is for use among family or friends, or by bosses or particularly rude customers.

You will hear the honorific and humble forms a lot as they are always used by customer service people. When speaking to a customer you are supposed to use honorific verbs to refer to anything that their side does and humble verbs to refer to anything that your side does. This extends to things like PA announcements -- you will hear the word "moshiagemasu" a lot, which is the humble verb of "say" and literally means something like "speak upward" as if the speaker is physically below their audience. This area of the language is tricky enough that many Japanese people get it wrong, particularly younger types, so as a beginner the best you can hope for is to catch some of the nuances here and there. As a customer you would only have to use polite form, and you could get away with plain form if you didn't mind ruffling some feathers here and there.

Most phrasebooks I have seen only show polite form, and when I learned Japanese in school we did everything in polite form for a few months until we were ready to "graduate" to plain form, and eventually to honorific and humble form (though pedagogical methods elsewhere may differ).

Last edited by joejones; May 27, 2013 at 10:58 pm
Old May 29, 2013, 7:36 pm

Polite or not, I tend to get by as an occasional tourist in Japan with snatches of Japanese sentences. I probably sound like a not particularly bright person who has the vocabulary of a toddler. Thanks for the pointers to move me up to a slightly more intelligent sounding toddler

All this talk reminded me that I tend avoid Japanese Starbucks shops where international tourists don't tend to frequent. Figuring out how to order various Starbucks drinks with Japanese English (+ pidginized Italian) pronunciation could also do with an explanation here. I mean, I usually just drink "hot-o tea" but if I had to order something other than cak-e/keiki or something else I can point at, I'd be holding up the line and quite amusing for the locals, I'm sure.

http://edition.tefl.net/articles/hom...ation-changes/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.