Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Where to spend a long layover: NRT or NGO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA

Hi guys. This June, I am scheduled to fly to PDX from MNL, hopefully on DL, for a conference, and there are quite a number of interesting itineraries that DL.com has been generating for me. Some of these include long layovers in Japan, and I was wondering where I should spend my layover. I can choose from the following:

*DL 172 -> DL 608 (MNL-NRT-HNL): 7h45
*DL 630 -> DL 612 (MNL-NGO-HNL): 8h40

I was last in Tokyo in 2009, so I don't mind going back for a bit and looking around again, but if I stop in Nagoya, it will be my first time there. Also, yes, I hold a U.S. passport.

Thanks and I hope this will be a very interesting layover!
Old May 7, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
For a seven or eight hour layover, I think Tokyo is probably more interesting than Nagoya. The trouble with Nagoya is that when you get there, there isn't any there there. (Apologies to Gertrude Stein and mjm)
Old May 7, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Nagoya has a number of interesting things located an hour or two away, but very little right in the city, unless you just want the feeling of wandering streets in Japan.

If you were on a longer stay, it could be the base for day trips to Takayama, Ise, Hikone, and Inuyama, but as a destination in itself, it fits the description, "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."
Old May 7, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
....well, maybe a couple of things in favor of a Nagoya layover.....isn't the train from airport to city fairly quick, 30 mins or so?.........and does flying out of NGO give you a better chance of upgrade for the long segment to HNL?

Look at info on some of the museums of science/technology in Nagoya to see if they are of interest......the Noritake china dish store/oulet at their former factory site is a 15min walk from Nagoya station.....and the station has the usual set of huge major dept. stores for any shopping (as in Tokyo).
Old May 8, 2013, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by peersteve
.isn't the train from airport to city fairly quick, 30 mins or so?
About 30 to 40 minutes. The journey time from NRT to Nippori or Ueno is about the same.

.and does flying out of NGO give you a better chance of upgrade for the long segment to HNL?
I don't know. Does it?

I think the suggestion to look up some museums is a good one if the OP has to do a long layover at NGO and hasn't been to Nagoya before.

For myself, if I had an 8 hour layover at NGO, I'd probably look around the run down neighborhoods that I've seen from the train to the airport. And I might check out the INAX site near the airport .... and then I'd probably spend a few hours at the airport onsen.

Last edited by jib71; May 8, 2013 at 2:17 am
Old May 8, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
There is an onsen inside NGO. Can't say that about NRT...
Old May 10, 2013, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, the NRT layover is no longer tenable because of the cost (it's now $200 more expensive), so it looks like I'll be spending my long layover in NGO. Any suggestions as to what I should do? The onsen sounds nice (and I hope it's not too pricey), but I was also thinking of probably doing Nagoya Castle and a few other sights, as well as lunch in the city.

Last edited by Akiestar; May 10, 2013 at 1:12 am
Old May 10, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Akiestar
Unfortunately, the NRT layover is no longer tenable because of the cost (it's now $200 more expensive), so it looks like I'll be spending my long layover in NGO. Any suggestions as to what I should do? The onsen sounds nice (and I hope it's not too pricey), but I was also thinking of probably doing Nagoya Castle and a few other sights, as well as lunch in the city.
http://www.taotaotasi.com/2006/03/24...in-nagoya.html

I really can't see the point of visiting ferroconcrete reconstructions of castles, when anyone with a lego set can build one with as much authenticity, but I suppose they allow you to imagine how things were once upon a time. Museums sounds like a better option to me. I've been to the Toyota museum, which was fine. The zoo ... I don't like zoos.
Old May 10, 2013, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have visited that castle and totally agree with jlb71, it's a yawner.
Old May 13, 2013, 9:48 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
For the real deal, go a little bit further north to Inuyama. There are non-stop trains from NGO that will take you to Inuyama Station in 55 minutes; Inuyama Castle is another 20 minute walk from there. Depending on when in June you'll be here the weather may be warm and sunny or humid and overcast.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Originally Posted by ksandness
If you were on a longer stay, it could be the base for day trips to Takayama, Ise, Hikone, and Inuyama, but as a destination in itself, it fits the description, "It's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there."
A friend of mine (who is from Japan) suggested that I go to Ise, though I'm worried since the ferry to Matsuzaka takes around 70 minutes, then to Ise is another 15 minutes by train. Not sure 85 minutes is the best way for me to see Japan.

and does flying out of NGO give you a better chance of upgrade for the long segment to HNL?
I can get an upgrade on NGO-HNL? I'd love that!

But then again, I highly doubt I will get an upgrade unless something happens.

Look at info on some of the museums of science/technology in Nagoya to see if they are of interest......the Noritake china dish store/oulet at their former factory site is a 15min walk from Nagoya station.....and the station has the usual set of huge major dept. stores for any shopping (as in Tokyo).
I could see the Toyota Museum, which I hear is quite interesting. And maybe I can find a nice lunch around Nagoya station.

Originally Posted by armagebedar
For the real deal, go a little bit further north to Inuyama. There are non-stop trains from NGO that will take you to Inuyama Station in 55 minutes; Inuyama Castle is another 20 minute walk from there. Depending on when in June you'll be here the weather may be warm and sunny or humid and overcast.
I was really thinking of doing Inuyama Castle instead, especially since there are trains that go from Nagoya to Inuyama in only 37 minutes.
Old May 20, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Akiestar
I was really thinking of doing Inuyama Castle instead, especially since there are trains that go from Nagoya to Inuyama in only 37 minutes.
Meiji Mura is in Inuyama. It's a pretty cool place. For lunch, go to the Nenohi, a Nagoya institution. The head office and a couple of their locations are near Nagoya station.
Old May 28, 2013, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jib71
I've been to the Toyota museum, which was fine. The zoo ... I don't like zoos.
Which one?
Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology
or
Toyota Automobile Museum

How does it compare to the one in Tokyo?
Old May 29, 2013, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Which one?
Toyota Automobile Museum

It's a long time since I visited, but I remember that it was a good car museum. I think I've been to places in Europe that have larger collections - like the one in Beaulieu. But there were some very unusual historical vehicles showing the development of key technologies in cars today and a good collection of Japanese vehicles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.