Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 9, 13, 4:27 am   #1

Thumbs up Tokyu Stay Nihonbashi

Back from our annual Japan pilgrimage, and I wanted to sing a quick song of praise for the Tokyu Stay Nihonbashi, a great option for longer and/or family stays in Tokyo.

One major caveat up front: it's a business hotel with daggy everything-in-shades-of-tan decor, so there's absolutely nothing luxurious or traditionally "Japanese" about the place. If it's a once-in-a-life honeymoon and you want to sleep on tatami with views of Mt. Fuji, geisha serving green tea and ninjas leaping up through the floorboards, this is the wrong place. But if it's not...

The most awesome thing about this place is the location. It's right next to Shin-Nihonbashi station on the underappreciated JR Sobu Kaisoku line, which means direct access to Tokyo station (2 min), Shinagawa (10 min), Chiba (30 min), Yokohama (30 min) and Narita Airport (82 min). (No elevators in the station though, so if you've got bags, take the N'EX to Tokyo station and cab it for under 1000 yen.) It's also a short stroll away from JR Kanda station for the Yamanote and Chuo lines and the subway's Mitsukoshimae stn (Ginza/Hanzomon) and Kodenmacho stn (Hibiya), which add zippy routes to Akihabara, Shinjuku, Ueno, Ginza, Roppongi, Shibuya etc etc. Basically, if it's anywhere in central Tokyo, you can get there in under 20 min!

There's more: Nihonbashi/Kanda is packed full of restaurants and there are hundreds of places to eat and drink within a few blocks. Particularly notable is Unagi Kappo Ooedo うなぎ・割烹 大江戸 next door, which is one of the very best grilled eel restaurants in all Tokyo if not Japan. The sushi at Tsukiji Sushiko 築地すし好 is also great, and they do take-away. The 24-hour Hanamasa supermarket is at the nearest intersection and the Mitsukoshi department store is a block away. If you're in a real hurry, the hotel also does Y500 all-you-can-eat breakfasts, although it's very Japanized western style (squishy croissants, sweet toast, pilaf, cream stews etc) and you're probably better off shuffling to the Sukiya on the corner for a tonjiru yakishake mooningu setto.

As for the rooms themselves, they're mini-apartments: all but the very smallest come with a kitchenette, full-sized fridge and a washer-dryer. The twin room we stayed in is 30 m2, spacious for Tokyo, with two beds that can be pushed seamlessly together into a ginormous super-king, and an inner door between the bedroom and the kitchen. The fast and free internet comes in both wifi and wired flavors, with no hoops to jump through: connect and you're in, as many devices as you like, no passwords etc. Last but not least, the bathroom comes equipped with a big Japanese ofuro tub for soaking away.

And the price is right: singles start from around Y6000/night, while you can score the twin for ~Y11,000/night (per room, not person). If there's another place in central Tokyo that gets you all this for less, I'd like to hear about it!
Old Apr 9, 13, 9:46 am   #2
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Transjakarta Platinum
I've frequently used Weekly Mansions for (Tokyo budget) single rooms, but 6 grand in Nihombashi by a supermarket is a good deal. That Tokyu Inn offers free wifi in the rooms (and often have washing machines en situ) is even better.
BuildingMyBento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 2:17 pm   #3

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, I am a big fan of the Tokyu Stays, especially for...stays as opposed to quick visits.

I think they'd be especially good for families with a small child or two, given the in-room washer-dryers and kitchenettes. In fact, when I spent a month in the Monzen-Nakacho property, there was a family living there. I saw the four of them at breakfast every morning, and if I walked out early enough, I could see the children being picked up by a van that had the name of one of Tokyo's international schools on the side.
ksandness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 14, 7:59 pm   #4

Tried something a little new last week and went with this Airbnb apartment in Bakurocho, one stop further out on the JR Sobu Kaisoku line but arguably even more convenient, with Toei Asakusa, Toei Shinjuku (Bakuroyokoyama stn) directly connected and Hibiya line (Kodenmacho stn) a few blocks away.

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/68670 "from" ¥9000/night

It's a snug "one-room mansion", but it's a complete, functioning home with everything you need and then some. If travelling solo, as a couple or with one kid it's pretty great; cramming in two adults and two kids, though, was a wee bit tight. Although having a Denny's right around the corner went a pretty long way in fixing this (oh my, highchairs and kids menus!).