BOS to NRT: Best way there

Subscribe
Hello,
I have UA miles and would like to take ANA to NRT with my miles but it seems that the only way I can when I want to is if I go to JFK and transfer to LaGuardia which I would think is a bit of a hassle. Is there anywhere else that would be a better transfer without switching entire airports? I would think Chicago but nothing is showing for the end of December or start of January.
Where are you coming from? Can you get a direct connection at SFO, LAX or SEA?
Quote: for the end of December or start of January.
In that time of the year, ANA flight will be packed with Japanese expats visiting their families back in Japan. I would book any flights available.
I've done some price comparisons, and the cheapest way by far to travel to Japan on any airline is to leave from LAX, possibly because of competition with so many other Asian airlines.

On my upcoming trip, I'm flying NH out of LAX, but MSP<>LAX is booked separately on Sun Country, a locally based LLC. (I'm leaving a day early in anticipation of possible delays, but even with staying overnight near LAX, flying out of there is cheaper than flying out of anywhere else.)

So I'd suggest finding a cheap flight BOS<>LAX to mesh with the LAX<>NRT flight of your choice.
ksandness, OP is burning miles.
if i should take whatever i can, then could i at least know if switching between JFK and LaGuardia is easy/cheap enough? or else i may have to fly through IAD or something
Quote: if i should take whatever i can, then could i at least know if switching between JFK and LaGuardia is easy/cheap enough? or else i may have to fly through IAD or something
Erm... this is the Japan forum, right?

You might find more useful information here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...nnections.html
thank you sir
Quote: thank you sir
Or if you want to use UA miles the UA forum might provide better advice.
I've done the BOS-Tokyo trip many times (though maybe not as many as others here). If you're using United miles and starting in Boston, the best places to connect (in order of preferance) are Toronto, Chicago, and Dulles. New York stinks because of both the JFK/LGA switch and delays. Changing in LAX or SFO means hours of extra flying. If you're traveling between Xmas and New Year and if you're willing to wait, you'll likely have no trouble scoring an award seat from BOS-NRT. Getting back from NRT will be more challenging.

All that said, if you will pay $$ instead of miles, the only sensible choice -- especially at that time of year when weather can ruin connections -- is the JAL non-stop BOS-NRT. The flight is an AA codeshare, so check prices on both JAL and American.
Although completely unhelpful to the OP, the best way from BOS to NRT is on JL 007, the 787 non-stop.
JFK is probably showing up for the OP because ANA just added its second daily frequency on the route, and that flight seems to have really good availability for award redemption in comparison to other ANA transpac flights.
Quote: Although completely unhelpful to the OP, the best way from BOS to NRT is on JL 007, the 787 non-stop.
Heh.
A photographer once told me "The best camera is the one you have with you." In that vein, I might say "The best flight to NRT is the one you can get."
The "best" way to get from Boston to NRT on UA miles is F on LH .... 747 from BOS>NRT, hang in the F lounge at FRA for a few hours and then the A380 from FRA>NRT. There are quicker ways to do it and ways that require less miles, but there is no better way to do it. You will however, need to book close in.
Quote: The "best" way to get from Boston to NRT on UA miles is F on LH .... 747 from BOS>NRT, hang in the F lounge at FRA for a few hours and then the A380 from FRA>NRT. There are quicker ways to do it and ways that require less miles, but there is no better way to do it. You will however, need to book close in.
Even by FT standards, that's pretty kinky.