Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Umbrella Repair

Umbrella Repair

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Umbrella Repair

Anybody know an umbrella repair store in Osaka?

I have owned a Trussardi umbrella for years. It needs a little bit of maintenance.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
http://www.kokado.net/
Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Anybody know an umbrella repair store in Osaka?

I have owned a Trussardi umbrella for years. It needs a little bit of maintenance.
That is most impressive. I don't think that I've ever owned an umbrella that wasn't lost or destroyed within a year.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
As an aside, when I was in Shanghai recently, I saw umbrella repair people along the sidewalk in several places, each with a little specialized machine for this purpose. It made me wonder: if a basic umbrella is 500 yen in Japan, they've got to be even cheaper in China. That being the case, what is the case for having them repaired? After looking a bit, the Chinese version of the 500 yen umbrella costs about US$1.50. Even at that price, people get them repaired when they break rather than consider them a throw-away item. Amazing.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
As an aside, when I was in Shanghai recently, I saw umbrella repair people along the sidewalk in several places, each with a little specialized machine for this purpose. It made me wonder: if a basic umbrella is 500 yen in Japan, they've got to be even cheaper in China. That being the case, what is the case for having them repaired? After looking a bit, the Chinese version of the 500 yen umbrella costs about US$1.50. Even at that price, people get them repaired when they break rather than consider them a throw-away item. Amazing.
I have been to umbrella specialty stores in Japan, where the basic models were 5,000-10,000 range, with higher end umbrellas pricier still.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve M
After looking a bit, the Chinese version of the 500 yen umbrella costs about US$1.50. Even at that price, people get them repaired when they break rather than consider them a throw-away item. Amazing.
Perhaps it makes sense when viewed as a percentage of salary.

I think I found a couple of 100 yen umbrellas in a 100 yen shop at Kamakura station a while back. They were smaller than the 500 yen ones, but similar quality.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
I also have lots of 100 yen umbrellas I use but you can't compare the Daiso umbrella to my nice one.

Walnut handle, engraved emblem, triple stitch, super strong metal frame etc. About 10 years ago, wife purchased it for me as a gift. It was just under 20,000 yen.

I use regular cheap umbrellas most times but when I dress up to go out, business meetings etc I do carry my nice one. Problem with the 100 yen ones, they break easy. Won't stand up to the wind. Problem with the expensive one, you are always worried about losing or forgetting it somewhere.

There has to be a balance somewhere. I just want to reseal my nice umbrella and repair the hinge release. It's more of a sentimental value now than strictly usability thing.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 100 yen umbrellas are so small as to be useless in anything but a small drizzle. You might as well just go outside wearing a hat.

I've not any experience using such a nice umbrella as you but, if they are as strong as you say they are, if you use them in a typhoon and they don't break, wouldn't the wind either rip it out of your hand or send you flying like Mary Poppins?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The 100 yen umbrellas are so small as to be useless in anything but a small drizzle. You might as well just go outside wearing a hat.

I've not any experience using such a nice umbrella as you but, if they are as strong as you say they are, if you use them in a typhoon and they don't break, wouldn't the wind either rip it out of your hand or send you flying like Mary Poppins?
After having my Tumi umbrella ripped out of my hands two nights ago, I was thinking the same thing.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 2:24 am

Programs: UA *G MM
We bought two 200 yen umbrellas several weeks ago at a 100 yen store because it started raining unexpectedly and we were about 1 km from home. They lasted about 45 seconds. A wind gust ripped the plastic off the frame of both them with about a half second interval. It even caused a few bystanders to laugh.

The 400-500 yen umbrellas sold at Donki, for example, are moderately durable. Stay away from the 100 yen stores.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.