Hotels and eating breakfast in Tokyo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels and eating breakfast in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Plat.
I can recommend the Hotel Celestine. It's a very nice business hotel. It's about a 5 minute walk from Tamachi station and 2 minutes from the Mita subway station. There's a Jonathan's about 5 minutes north of there if you want a relatively cheap breakfast. In the past I've stayed there for around 11,000-12,000Ą/nt. If you prepay, I think you can stay even cheaper.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Thanks I'll keep the Celestine in mind

Lpols like a great hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Last month an all day buffet restaurant called Maison de Lobros opened in the new Gran Roof building next to Tokyo Station (on Yaesu side)

By far the best deal is breakfast. For 1200 yen there are made to order omelets and French toast, plus many kinds of bread, meats, fruits, vegetables, juices, and desserts. And the place is very elegant looking, and barely 20% full at 8am.

Very close to the quality of a restaurant breakfast buffet, at a third of the cost! ^
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Maison de Lobros Morning Buffet

There are also Lunch & Dessert Buffet and Dinner Buffet. Morning Buffet and Lunch & Dessert Buffet has 90 minutes time limit. Dinner buffet has 120 minutes time limit.

This implies that in few years average Japanese will be as fat as average Americans!
Old Oct 29, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Last month an all day buffet restaurant called Maison de Lobros opened in the new Gran Roof building next to Tokyo Station (on Yaesu side)

By far the best deal is breakfast. For 1200 yen there are made to order omelets and French toast, plus many kinds of bread, meats, fruits, vegetables, juices, and desserts. And the place is very elegant looking, and barely 20% full at 8am.

Very close to the quality of a restaurant breakfast buffet, at a third of the cost! ^
As is often the case, the second trip was a disappointment. The ingredients seemed a lot chintzier already. The potato of the day was limp, crinkle cut french fries, and the "German Potato" were those same french fries mixed with some crumpled bacon. The kid making my omelette had a heck of a time trying to flip it over (still don't think that chopsticks are the best utensil to use for that, but it seems to be used by everyone in Japan), and, although it was edible, gets a C- for presentation. And, something else I didn't notice last time, though there is self serve milk and juice, you only get one serving of coffee or tea.

The pastries were still decent, and I like their tomato salad dressing (though they have no actual tomatoes for the salad), but now I'm not so sure that this place is even worth 1200 yen, yet alone being a deal at that price...
Old Oct 29, 2013, 8:47 am

check out the Park Hotel

Check out the Park Hotel. It's located right above the train line so makes it very easy getting around. Also lots of food choices under and next to the hotel.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:23 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
As is often the case, the second trip was a disappointment. The ingredients seemed a lot chintzier already. The potato of the day was limp, crinkle cut french fries, and the "German Potato" were those same french fries mixed with some crumpled bacon. The kid making my omelette had a heck of a time trying to flip it over (still don't think that chopsticks are the best utensil to use for that, but it seems to be used by everyone in Japan), and, although it was edible, gets a C- for presentation..
The omelette feller should watch Tampopo for a couple of hints.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Oct 31, 2013 at 6:29 pm Reason: added video link for reference
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Since I can't afford the expensive hotel breakfasts (Ą5000?) and have a limited tolerance for watery scrambled eggs (what do they do to them to make them both watery and crumbly at the same time?) and sawdust sausages, I tend to go to bakeries and coffee shops for breakfast.

Pronto offers a wide selection of sweet and savory rolls (beware of the cod roe with double mayonnaise, though) with coffee, as do some of the coffee shops and independent bakeries.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness

Pronto…….
Hmmm…..
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness
Since I can't afford the expensive hotel breakfasts (Ą5000?)
I have never paid 5000 yen for a breakfast buffet in Japan. My all time high is about 4460 at the Ritz Carlton Tokyo.

If half that amount is acceptable, you can get the Westin Tokyo buffet for 2500 yen via advance reservation on their website. Unlike the RC (and, sadly, the Imperial Hotel as well...), their Fresh Orange juice really is squeezed fresh right in front of you.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We went to the ANA Intercontinental a few times in 2007 & 2009 when it was charging around 2,500yen for their buffet breakfast - in those days with a club room you could go to the main buffet rather than take the club lounge's more limited offerings so long as you got up early enough. We'd see that a noticeable proportion of the clientele were taxi drivers. A good sign, we thought.
The buffet breakfast there is now 3,150yen.
I wonder if this has deterred this segment of their client base.

Anyone noticed current breakfast places with a healthy proportion of taxi drivers?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
We went to the ANA Intercontinental a few times in 2007 & 2009 when it was charging around 2,500yen for their buffet breakfast - in those days with a club room you could go to the main buffet rather than take the club lounge's more limited offerings so long as you got up early enough.
When I stayed on Shin-Kobe CP's Club Floor, I was actually more impressed with the breakfast buffet in their Club Lounge than the regular their regular buffet breakfast which I've had on other visits. For one thing, the Club Lounge breakfast buffet had a chef manning the cook-to-order omelette station and there was also a selection of different espresso drinks, things that were not available in their regular buffet. Since then, I've always assumed the breakfast buffet is better in Club Lounge than in their regular buffets. But is it usually the opposite?
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
When I stayed on Shin-Kobe CP's Club Floor, I was actually more impressed with the breakfast buffet in their Club Lounge than the regular their regular buffet breakfast which I've had on other visits. For one thing, the Club Lounge breakfast buffet had a chef manning the cook-to-order omelette station and there was also a selection of different espresso drinks, things that were not available in their regular buffet. Since then, I've always assumed the breakfast buffet is better in Club Lounge than in their regular buffets. But is it usually the opposite?
In general, the Club Lounge is a subset of what you would find in the main breakfast restaurant.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 3:16 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
We'd see that a noticeable proportion of the clientele were taxi drivers. A good sign, we thought.
My assumption would be that they had some discount or freebie. I just can't get my head around taxi drivers spending thousands of yen on breakfast.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
My assumption would be that they had some discount or freebie. I just can't get my head around taxi drivers spending thousands of yen on breakfast.
MrLapLap's grandfather spent a few years as a taxi driver (seems it was - and perhaps still is - a common retirement plan) and the idea of spending about 800yen more than you might in order to enjoy higher quality ingredients and a much wider range of foods than at somewhere like Denny's made a lot of sense to him.
I thought about it a bit (my reaction had been the same as yours) and realised that if I'd been working all night and wanted a full meal - these guys don't look at breakfast in the same was as someone who has just woken up - an all you can eat deal at 7am would be a viable extravagance... Particularly if the hotel can offer a discount. Work all night, kick back in relaxing surroundings eating a full range of foods, go home, bathe, take a dump, sleep, get up in the evening and start all over again.
None of the taxi drivers we saw appeared to be beginning their days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.