Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels and eating breakfast in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by steve4031
To go all of the way south/west towards Hiroshima and beyond would require an over night or two away from Tokyo.
I agree with that assessment. My day trip to Matsushima was just barely feasible and got me back to Tokyo at 10PM, and I would definitely stay overnight if I were going to Hiroshima and beyond, at least if I wanted to see anything besides train stations in any of those places.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Your information was very helpful. I think I am going to go with the Shinagawa prince hotel. I understand that rooms will be small. But it looks like they are modern and the bathrooms and showers will work. So I would be happy with this kind of set up.

I understand that the breakfast set up will be different in Japan.
I always stay at the Shinagawa Prince Hotel in the Annex tower (I'm always with Mr Falconea). If you sign up for their frequent stay program (free) they will give you a free breakfast. Their Hapuna restaurant is where the breakfast buffet is and it is enormous, with western, chinese and japanese options available. It starts at 6 am as well which enables you to catch the early trains.

I usually pop a banana in my bag for lunch and then stop in the food hall of the department store just outside Shinagawa station to pick up dinner - there are lots of options here for take-away food and in the evening the prices drop rapidly.

Audrey
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Thnx Audrey

I was wondering about the prince hotels frequent stay program. Your info about breakfast clinched it!! There is a prince hotel in Hiroshima too.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Is there a website for dormy inns?

I saw a nice review of one near the Kyoto train station. I might want to explore them too. If I can use there website and make a cancel on day of arrival reservation.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:46 pm

You might also want to think about staying near Ueno station, from which several Shinkansen lines depart. Ueno is an interesting neighborhood (moreso, IMO, than the neighborhoods in the immediate vicinity of either Tokyo or Shinagawa stations), and you'll have a choice of several hotels in yourt price range. For those shinkansen departing from Tokyo and which don't stop at Ueno, it's an easy 7-minute ride on the Yamanote Line from Ueno to Tokyo.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the Ueno suggestions. I'll look into that.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by wideman
You might also want to think about staying near Ueno station, from which several Shinkansen lines depart. Ueno is an interesting neighborhood (moreso, IMO, than the neighborhoods in the immediate vicinity of either Tokyo or Shinagawa stations), and you'll have a choice of several hotels in yourt price range. For those shinkansen departing from Tokyo and which don't stop at Ueno, it's an easy 7-minute ride on the Yamanote Line from Ueno to Tokyo.
The nice thing about Ueno is going to be a significantly lower price, as you're in a further out part of the city. I would note, though, it's much less upscale than the more expensive parts, and I think you'll still have problems finding a breakfast buffet.

On the note of buffets, if your manhood can handle it, you should try a cake buffet. They mainly cater to high school girls and young women, but they also have all you can eat delicious cake, in a variety of fancy forms.
(Edit: I just noticed I necroed this thread; sorry about that, you can just ignore this.)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: UA, NW
If you stay in Ueno, you really know that you're in Japan, as opposed to the Generic International Business Land of Shinagawa.

I haven't investigated the breakfast offerings of the various hotels there, but an increasing number of business hotels offer *something* in the morning, and on my recent trip, I noticed more and more bakeries and coffee shops that offer a low-priced light breakfast.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:54 am
Original Poster

I do like the prince hotels

I signed up for the frequent stay program. Since this is my first visit I'm looking for a hotel that will be a decent home base where I can get a breakfast that I am comfortable with. For lunch and dinner I look forward to trying Japanese cuisine.

Perhaps as I become more comfortable I'll be more open minded about the Japanese style breakfast.

Thanks for the cake buffet info. That sounds interesting. If my manhood is threatened I can exit stage left. Lol.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Towers and sections of shinagawa prince hotel

I see that this hotel is huge. Once I Signed up for there program, I saw rates for 6 or 7 sections of the hotel. Which part is best? Which part to avoid at all costs?

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I signed up for the frequent stay program. Since this is my first visit I'm looking for a hotel that will be a decent home base where I can get a breakfast that I am comfortable with. For lunch and dinner I look forward to trying Japanese cuisine.
That's certainly a valid plan. I think that the Prince Hotel breakfast will be adequate for your needs, though it reminds me a bit of a college dorm cafeteria.

If you get bored with Prince breakfast, and have about $20-$40 to splurge, there are several great breakfast options a short train ride away.

The luxury hotel breakfasts are the best, but also the most expensive.

Two regular restaurant breakfast options in Tokyo that I'd highly recommend are slightly cheaper:

Eggs 'n Things
http://www.eggsnthingsjapan.com/menu/

bills
http://bills-jp.net/
Old Jun 25, 2012, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

How does prince compare to a Marriott?

Better or worse. Is there a USA chain that is a good point of comparison?
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Better or worse. Is there a USA chain that is a good point of comparison?
Hard to say. The "Prince" brand covers a wide array of hotels, from cheap business establishments to quasi-luxury resorts. The Shinagawa complex is somewhere in the middle, though leaning towards the former.

They have such a Japanese way of doing certain things that it really isn't fair to try and make a direct comparison to a US chain.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I saw a nice review of one near the Kyoto train station. I might want to explore them too. If I can use there website and make a cancel on day of arrival reservation.
This looks like their official website (linked from the Japanese website).
http://www.japanican.com/hotels/shis...1A11&ref=dormy
Old Jun 26, 2012, 1:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I see that this hotel is huge. Once I Signed up for there program, I saw rates for 6 or 7 sections of the hotel. Which part is best? Which part to avoid at all costs?

Thanks.
I haven't stayed there but have been to meet friends who were staying there. Have you checked TripAdvisor reviews which seem to cover different types of rooms? A quick glance suggests the Main Tower (especially upper floors) is good but the Annex and East(?) Towers are not so good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.