Search

6 day trip, JR Pass worth it? Arr KIX Dep NRT

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
6 day trip, JR Pass worth it? Arr KIX Dep NRT

Hello,

Going to Japan for 2nd time, this time with my gf and she has never been to Japan. I went to Tokyo on my own last year and did fine using NeX and subways/walking around.

Arriving into KIX at 9am and staying in Hyatt Osaka for 2 nights and then taking the Shinkansen to Tokyo on the Hikari train, staying at Hyatt Regency Tokyo for 4 nights.

JR Pass is 28,300 yen.

2 days in Osaka, with trips starting from JR Osaka station since Hyatt has a free shuttle to there
Osaka-Tokyo is 13,750 yen (JR Central)
Shinjuku - NRT on the NeX is 3110 yen (JR East)
4 days in Tokyo probably centered around Yamanote Line (JR East) - around 3000 yen in suica

1. Any JR lines going from KIX to Hyatt? Right now I plan on either taking the Airport Bus or 1500yen p/p or taking Nankai Line to Namba, then Yotsubashi line to Suminoekoen and then New Tram to Nakafuto station. Don't think any of those train lines are JR lines, thus JR pass is not valid.

2. Bought the Suica/NeX combo last year when I went alone and over 3 days/2 nights, basically used up all Suica value so assuming Suica will cost me 3000 yen over 5 days/4 nights.

3. Going around Osaka/Kyoto, probably around 2000 yen for 3 days/2 nights.

So looking at the above, probably not worth it for me to get the JR Pass for 7 days, am I correct?

Thanks all
Old May 7, 2012, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by indo79
1. Any JR lines going from KIX to Hyatt? Right now I plan on either taking the Airport Bus or 1500yen p/p or taking Nankai Line to Namba, then Yotsubashi line to Suminoekoen and then New Tram to Nakafuto station. Don't think any of those train lines are JR lines, thus JR pass is not valid.
Thanks all
You could take the JR Haruka to Shin-Osaka station and switch over to the JR Kyoto local headed towards Osaka station. It is the next stop. Plus there is just one transfer at Shin-Osaka on this route.

If you're paying for the Shin-Osaka to Tokyo route out of pocket, the Nozomi is only 300 yen more. The N700 trains are newer and regular class has a power port near the window which is handy. Nozomi will be N700 and early Hikari's can be http://jprail.com/trains/sort-by-dep...e-gallery.html
Old May 7, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Individual fares will work out cheaper and give you more flexibility than a JR pass.

Hyatt Regency Osaka is in the docklands to the West of the city. "Nice hotel but inconvenient location" is the recurrent theme in Tripadvisor reviews. I'd recommend staying at a hotel around Namba or Umeda - or the Hyatt Regency Kyoto.
Old May 7, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA, NW
I'd suggest staying in Kyoto, especially if you have never been there, over staying in an inconvenient part of Osaka.

First of all, Kyoto is simply a much more interesting and distinctive city, especially if you have already been to Tokyo. Osaka will look like just more of the same.

Second, although some airline personnel refer to KIX as "Osaka," it's actually no more inconvenient to travel to Kyoto than to travel to Osaka by train. You have two choices to Osaka--the JR Haruka Express to Shin-Osaka and the private Nankai railroad to Namba--but the Haruka terminates in Kyoto and costs only a bit more.

Staying in Kyoto will save you an hour each way of commuting time. Staying in Osaka is not an impossible setup, but as others have said, the location is relatively inconvenient, and according to the Hyatt Regency Kyoto's website, it's located in a very nice area.

Since you're traveling on an open-jaw flight, I'd recommend against getting a Japan Rail Pass.

I'm getting a Pass for my upcoming visit, but then I'm making a roundtrip between Tokyo and Hiroshima and exploring Shikoku on the way back, so it will definitely be a money-saver in my case.
Old May 7, 2012, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Do stay in Kyoto, it's soo much better than Osaka for first time visitors.

And also look at the JR West pass for travel from KIX to Osaka/Kyoto. You can buy a one day pass that's only JPY 2.000 for the Haruka from the airport.

And although I really like the Hyatt in Kyoto, I think the Granvia is even better due to the location. Being at the station is really convenient for subway or bus access to just about anywhere.
Old May 7, 2012, 12:57 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As everyone above suggests, the pass is not a good deal for you.

If you want to try a bit of adventure, find what's called a "coupon shop" and you can even get a modest discount on the shinkansen trip if you pay cash.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all, I will skip the JR Pass, and as for the Hyatt Kyoto, would love to stay there, except it is 24,650Y vs 10,800Y, 2.5 times, I simply cannot justify

I am also paying for 4 nights at the Hyatt Regency Tokyo and 3 nights at the HK TST on this trip so yeah, any cost savings right now would be great
Old May 7, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you are using points for the Hyatt stays, the Hyatt Regency Kyoto is one of the best deals around. Right next to Sanjusangendo Hall, just across the street from the Museum and across another street from a couple of huge temple complexes. Also right on the tourist bus line (Chin-Chin Line) as well.
Old May 7, 2012, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Stay in Kyoto, not Osaka, where the only thing to see beyond a modern big city is the castle. I would also avoid the JR pass, partly because using it on bullet trains can be complicated, with validation and reservations required while it is not valid on the best trains.
Old May 8, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would also avoid the JR pass, partly because using it on bullet trains can be complicated, with validation and reservations required while it is not valid on the best trains.
Reservations are most definitely not required to use the non-reserved cars on the Shinkansen with the JR Pass - just show your pass at the gate as normal and walk on. They are clearly marked on the platform information screens and on the train cars themselves in both English and Japanese.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by indo79
Thank you all, I will skip the JR Pass, and as for the Hyatt Kyoto, would love to stay there, except it is 24,650Y vs 10,800Y, 2.5 times, I simply cannot justify
You might be interested in the "Explore Classic Japan" special offer they have if you combine Tokyo and Kyoto..... I used it some time ago and it was a great offer then. It's not as good now as it was then, but still nice (free 4th night at Kyoto).

http://kyoto.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt...sBookable=true
Old May 8, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by ponder
Reservations are most definitely not required to use the non-reserved cars on the Shinkansen with the JR Pass - just show your pass at the gate as normal and walk on. They are clearly marked on the platform information screens and on the train cars themselves in both English and Japanese.
The reason to skip the JR Pass is not because of the supposed complexity of using it, but because the OP will not be taking enough train rides to justify the expense.
Old May 8, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
Originally Posted by ksandness
The reason to skip the JR Pass is not because of the supposed complexity of using it, but because the OP will not be taking enough train rides to justify the expense.
Totally agree on that. I was just grumpy this morning and correcting the earlier claim that reservations are required for Shinkansen travel with the pass
Old May 8, 2012, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
Agree, taking trains in Japan are not as complicated as what some people make out to be. Just use some common sense and keep asking people

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.