Wiki Posts
Search

Shinkansen toy trains

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by weegiewife
Thank you so much everyone for all this wonderful advice! You'll make a 6 year old VERY happy!

I think the plarail may be our best bet. Will try Yodobashii and Toys r us Odaiba. Anyone know if the Akihabara Yodobashii also has a selection of toys? Or is Nishi-Shinjuku a better choice.
If it's just the Plarail, then you can get that from Amazon without even going to Japan!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...il%2Caps%2C528
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:01 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If it's just the Plarail, then you can get that from Amazon without even going to Japan!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...il%2Caps%2C528
Good find but that is not even remotely close to the selection in Japan. It is really mid-boggling in its scope.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
When I was a kid, I had a Belgian uncle who used to bring me some Meccano when he visited England. I can't really fathom why. It seems Meccano was originally a British brand and there was a factory in Calais, France. I imagine the stuff was readily available in British toy stores. Whatever ... I loved those Meccano kits.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:05 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
I think the plarail may be our best bet. Will try Yodobashii and Toys r us Odaiba. Anyone know if the Akihabara Yodobashii also has a selection of toys? Or is Nishi-Shinjuku a better choice.
You know, I would be willing to bet that they would have it. If they don't, there's bound to be at least one other shop in the area that has it. It is アキバ after all.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Good find but that is not even remotely close to the selection in Japan. It is really mid-boggling in its scope.
True, but to find out whether it's something that the nephew would actually enjoy, it's much simpler to get one of these first than to haul a bunch of stuff back in your luggage and hope for the best.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:20 pm
mjm
Original Member

True, but to find out whether it's something that the nephew would actually enjoy, it's much simpler to get one of these first than to haul a bunch of stuff back in your luggage and hope for the best.
Simpler as they are staying in a hotel is likely going to Toys 'r' Us. This is a bit of a bit of a xanadu for parents. If Amazon is the preferred method, local Amazon is a better choice too. Amazon JP PlaRail choice.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
Simpler as they are staying in a hotel is likely going to Toys 'r' Us. This is a bit of a bit of a xanadu for parents. If Amazon is the preferred method, local Amazon is a better choice too. Amazon JP PlaRail choice.
"Shipping: We're sorry; this item can not be shipped outside Japan"

Which kind of defeats the purpose of having the item before the OP goes to Japan to load up on such merchandise in case that it is not what the OP's nephew desires.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 1:33 am
mjm
Original Member

"Shipping: We're sorry; this item can not be shipped outside Japan"

Which kind of defeats the purpose of having the item before the OP goes to Japan to load up on such merchandise in case that it is not what the OP's nephew desires.
Fair enough if the goal is to ascertain in advance of a child enjoys toys. I am guessing based of a lot of my own direct experience that that is a no brainer though. You don't get a lot of kids turning down toys.

The link was provided to allow purchase of a Shinkansen as opposed to a Skyliner or locomotive. The assumption was that purchasing through Amazon.jp and shipping to the hotel they are staying at here would be an option vs. going o the Toys 'r' Us.

In any case, I am sure there is enough material for the OP to pick through already. Maybe let it drop.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW, DL
OP here - thanks for the additional helpful advice. We're going to be moving around a lot on our trip, though we are hoping the last leg of the journey will be spent in Tokyo. At that stage, I think going to the Odaiba ToysRUs may be best so we can see what we can get that we can cram into the suitcase
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:15 pm

I picked this up from Kyoto station along with some Dr. Yellow socks:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/2007139...sort=BestMatch

It is very simple and doesn't connect with any cars as far as I could tell, but my toddler has had some fun with it.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:25 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
There is a Plarail shop right next to Tokyo Station, which would probably be the most convenient for the OP.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: nobody
Anyone know if the Akihabara Yodobashii also has a selection of toys?
Yes Yodobashi-Akiba has a floor for toys also, I bought a plarail train set there back in 2010 for a 7 yr old.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by armagebedar
There is a Plarail shop right next to Tokyo Station, which would probably be the most convenient for the OP.
There are a ton of shops down there with stuff that would appeal to youngsters. Rilakkuma FTW!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW, DL
Thanks everyone! When I was last there, the whole shopping area within/along Tokyo Station was being renovated/constructed so didn't know about the plarail shop! That will likely be a top stop for us then.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:14 am

You might want to try Jusco/Aeon supermarkets. They're everywhere throughout Japan. It's a supermarket on the ground floor. On the floor(s) above, there's a toy section where you should find a nice selection of assorted, inexpensive metal shinkansen models. I've bought model shinkansen trains there for myself and for my nephew. It's in Japanese, but here's the link: http://www.aeonretail.jp/shop/aeonlist.html#reg-kanto
I'm not sure whether or not you can read kanji. In Tokyo there are ten Jusco/Aeon stores. I hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.