Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Is 4 hours connection from KIX to ITM durable ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 4 hours connection from KIX to ITM durable ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Are 4 hours connection from KIX to ITM durable ?

I am currently schedule to arrive LH FRA-KIX in F at 9:15am, connecting NH ITM-HND at 1pm.

This will be my first time on LH F and LH, not sure if they would have fast trak for F pax at customs at KIX, then I would take the bus from KIX to ITM, seems like it would be 1 hour to 1.5 hours max I guess with the bus.

Do you think with the arrival, customs, and bus would get me to ITM by 12pm for my 1pm flight ?

If not I guess there are so many flights for ITM-HND depart every hour, and they are all 763/772/773, if I miss it they would just put me on the later ones right ? Btw, this is all on miles, and I am *G.

I choose ITM-HND instead of KIX-HND just because a shorter layover time, as the only flight KIX-HND available with miles is the one at 8:20pm, so I would have a 11 hours layover. I can't choose a later ITM-HND flight as on that day 1pm is the last flight of the day open with miles.

PS. Moderator if there is a consolidated thread feel free to move.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 9, 2011 at 10:38 pm
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Bus timetable here -
http://www.okkbus.co.jp/timetable/kix/f_itm.html

Assuming on time arrival, you should comfortably make it onto the 10.30 bus, which has an ETA of 11.40. Plenty of time for a domestic departure - even if there is some congestion. I would not worry about it.

For future reference - If you are looking for alternatives, you might also look for flights from UKB to HND. (UKB can be reached via ferry from KIX).
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: UA, NW
Or just take the train if you're not in a terrible hurry.

Take the Haruka Express to Shin-Osaka or Kyoto and hop onto the next Nozomi or Hikari Shinkansen. (They leave every five to ten minutes, depending on the time of day.)

This will get you into central Tokyo in about three hours.

It may even take less time than flying, given that you have a four-hour transfer between airports, and you'll get to see some of the countryside.

Hyperdia tells me that if you clear immigration by 10:00AM, you can be in central Tokyo by 2PM for a combined price of ¥9650.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by jib71
Bus timetable here -
http://www.okkbus.co.jp/timetable/kix/f_itm.html

Assuming on time arrival, you should comfortably make it onto the 10.30 bus, which has an ETA of 11.40. Plenty of time for a domestic departure - even if there is some congestion. I would not worry about it.

For future reference - If you are looking for alternatives, you might also look for flights from UKB to HND. (UKB can be reached via ferry from KIX).
Ah ok, UKB didn't come to my mind at all, however I don't know if UKB consider as one of Osaka's airport though. I mean for award tickets I have to connect within the same city but ok with different airports, like ITM and KIX, HND and NRT.

Thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by ksandness

Hyperdia tells me that if you clear immigration by 10:00AM, you can be in central Tokyo by 2PM for a combined price of ¥9650.
That is just way too long and overpriced, consider my connecting flight is at 1pm and the bus cost only 1900 yen.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
I don't know if UKB consider as one of Osaka's airport though.
UKB is included in the city code OSA (Osaka, which also includes KIX and ITM). I think airlines consider it as a valid Osaka airport for awards, but perhaps different airlines have different rules.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
That is just way too long and overpriced, consider my connecting flight is at 1pm and the bus cost only 1900 yen.
No, that's without the flight.

I assume that you are landing at KIX and want to go to Tokyo. If your flight from ITM-HND is already paid for, then forget what I said, but if you have not yet booked the flight, the train will get you into Tokyo at about the same time a flight would.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 9:32 am

It is theoretically doable but that kind of connection will make me nervous. If your incoming flight is delayed then the window gets compressed and it becomes more hairy. You should also account for morning traffic in Osaka region.

Good luck.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Maji
If your incoming flight is delayed then the window gets compressed and it becomes more hairy.
If the incoming flight were delayed by 45 minutes, I think the OP would still likely make it onto the 10.30 bus. Customs and immigration at KIX is typicallly quick - especially for those who are first off the plane.
If the incoming flight were delayed by an hour or so the OP would still make it onto the 11.00AM bus and ETA at ITM would be 12.10PM. That's plenty of time to check-in and get onto a domestic flight - even allowing for some congestion on the roads.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:12 am

I am not saying it is not doable, but it makes me nervous. The typical travel time from KIX to ITM on the limo bus is about 90 minutes. So, out of 3hrs 45min, the OP now has 2hrs 15min left. I believe KIX does not have the pressure of NRT, and the customs/immigration is faster. However, one has to account for a minimum of 30 minutes for that effect. Also, he should be in the ITM check-in bout 30 minutes before flight time. So, that leaves 1 hour 15 mins buffer. Any delays will make this connection hairy. My suggestion is ksandness's recommendation... to take the train, if possible.

Good luck.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ksandness
No, that's just the base fare. Once you add in the limited express/shinkansen supplements, it becomes Y15,630.

But that is still reasonably competitive with the air fare.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:17 pm

I am not saying it is not doable, but it makes me nervous. The typical travel time from KIX to ITM on the limo bus is about 90 minutes. So, out of 3hrs 45min, the OP now has 2hrs 15min left. I believe KIX does not have the pressure of NRT, and the customs/immigration is faster. However, one has to account for a minimum of 30 minutes for that effect. Also, he should be in the ITM check-in bout 30 minutes before flight time. So, that leaves 1 hour 15 mins buffer. Any delays will make this connection hairy. My suggestion is ksandness's recommendation... to take the train, if possible.

Good luck.
There is a "legal" connection time between Kansai and Itami and it is less than 4 hours (3 hours from memory) so ANA will just put you on a later flight if by chance your flight into Kansai is late. By 10.30am the bus will take no more than 50 minutes to Itami anyway so on the list of things to worry about this would be low.
Edit- from the horse's mouth
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/wws_co.../plantrip.html
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:16 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by valve bouncer
there is a "legal" connection time between kansai and itami and it is less than 4 hours (3 hours from memory)
Going from KIX to ITM, international-domestic connections have an official MCT of 3 hours and 20 minutes, so the OP should be fine.

BTW, the NH link posted by valve bouncer above only covers NH-NH connections, not connections from other carriers to NH (though there won't be much difference if any in the actual transfer time).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:25 pm

Good luck.
The important question is whether your objective is to experience Japanese domestic air travel or to get to Tokyo with as little hassle as possible. Taking the train meets that criterion, especially with trains leaving every few minutes and no worries about getting stuck in traffic.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
But that is still reasonably competitive with the air fare.
Since the OP is on an award ticket, I assumed that the cost of the domestic leg to him is zero.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
Any delays will make this connection hairy. My suggestion is ksandness's recommendation... to take the train, if possible.
Then again, taking JR assumes that the Hanwa line isn't backed up and running late... again. (Although I've always had good luck with the Hanwa line when I used it to commute to work.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.