Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

if the worst happens & they have to evacuate Tokyo, where are people supposed to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

if the worst happens & they have to evacuate Tokyo, where are people supposed to go?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

If the worst happens & they have to evacuate Tokyo, where are people supposed to go?

I hope it never happens, but word from my friends in Tokyo is that they have no idea where to go in such cases. A city of 20 million citizen can't exactly all get on trains/planes/bues/cars and leave,... does the government of Tokyo (or the Japanese central government) have a plan(A, B, C, or D)?
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:27 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Red face

Originally Posted by potove
If the worst happens & they have to evacuate Tokyo, where are people supposed to go?

I hope it never happens, but word from my friends in Tokyo is that they have no idea where to go in such cases. A city of 20 million citizen can't exactly all get on trains/planes/bues/cars and leave,... does the government of Tokyo (or the Japanese central government) have a plan(A, B, C, or D)?
They have evacuation areas in Tokyo and there are regular drills in which they use these evacuation areas with route maps. The tokyo government has a plan in mind, but it will definitely be structured in a way that all people don't head for the same exit at once.

Sanosuke!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Everywhere in Tokyo has a designated disaster evacuation area in which people are supposed to gather. I have no doubt that evacuating to these areas will be the first stage in evacuating the city should that prove to be necessary.

For example, my nearest outdoor evacuation area from home is Shiba Park; at the office, it's Aoyama Park; or Prince Arisugawa Memorial Park if Roppongi-dori cannot be crossed (which I've always assumed to mean that the elevated section of the Shutoko has crashed down).

Your friends can probably contact their local ward office for information if they're genuinely unable to figure this out for themselves.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by NickW
Everywhere in Tokyo has a designated disaster evacuation area in which people are supposed to gather. I have no doubt that evacuating to these areas will be the first stage in evacuating the city should that prove to be necessary.
In case of a radioactive fallout, it is better not to gather outdoors awaiting further instructions, but to stay indoors. Going to parks is the worst possible idea, because radioactive dust cannot be quickly washed away there. This is probably the true reason why several parks have been closed to the public, according to media reports.

I suppose they will just tell people to stay indoors while they wash the streets - just like it was done in Kiev following the Chernobyl disaster. Once the wind changes direction away from Tokyo, it should be possible to go outside again.

Let's hope this horrible scenario never materializes.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:01 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I think the question here was, if Tokyo itself has to be evacuated (ex. due to fallout) , what other area of Japan would the evacuees go to.
I can only suppose that they'd have to go west, with employees of companies having branches in oter cities moving to those cities
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
This is assumes that if the worst happened, Tokyo would need to be evacuated. But you see, even if the "worst happened" (any way you want to imagine it, short of Gojira coming over for a stomp), evacuation of Tokyo would not be something that would be needed.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:50 am

Is this really a possibility to begin with? What are the odds of Tokyo needing to be evacuated in the first place? It's just the media taking things out of proportion as always. Have there been any signs of dangerous levels of radioactivity anywhere near Tokyo at all?

After what I've read thus far the radiation levels are quite a bit far from being strong enough to have an direct impact on Tokyo. Not to mention all weather reports I've seen lately shows wind blowing towards the sea and away from Tokyo and not towards the city?

All this makes it highly unlikely that Tokyo will get effected by the radiation in any critical or major degree? So why would you evacuate and start a mass-panic in a city of this size, with so many inhabitants if the possibility of disaster is so unlikely? Wouldn't a mass evacuation of a city with so many people in it most likely damage the city and the people more than the radiation itself at it's current state?

If there wore to be a complete meltdown of the reactor core(s), and the radiation would leak straight out into the atmosphere and the wind brought it straight at Tokyo I guess it would be too late to evacuate the city but the Japanese government have to reconsider the possible downsides of a evacuation and compare it to the current risk of heavy radiation hitting Tokyo and currently things are pointing towards Tokyo being left okay doesn't it?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:17 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Pickles
short of Gojira coming over for a stomp
Finally. Someone who knows what "worst" means.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:37 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by RamGuy
Is this really a possibility to begin with? What are the odds of Tokyo needing to be evacuated in the first place?
The latest media sensation is a possible eruption of Fujiyama.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
日本沈没 (Japan Sinks)
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:13 am

Ask the French - they abandoned Tokyo first.

Ask the French where to go - or rather where they went. The French Embassy was the first embassy to urge their nationals to evacuate. And so many French and French-speaking people have. I am told that the Shangri-la Hotel is virtually closed because the top management from France and Europe have left the country; the ANA Inter-Continental appears to have the same problem with its European managers just quitting their jobs and leaving. The chefs at a number of Michelin-starred French restaurants (which will go unnamed) have already left Tokyo, with some refusing to ever return. Even French cooks in smaller places we know of in Tokyo we hear have quit and left Tokyo or the country. A friend says the French president of her French-owned subsidiary in Tokyo simply left his office after the quake and later emailed the staff he was leaving and then recommended the staff evacuate.

A Japanese friend in the hospitality industyy in Japan quipped that with such stalwart profesional devotion as that, he hopes they will not come back.

Last edited by chamade; Mar 18, 2011 at 7:18 am Reason: edited
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chamade
Ask the French - they abandoned Tokyo first.
Yet their president is one of the first heads of state to announce his plans to travel there:
http://elysee.blog.lemonde.fr/2011/0...-que-possible/
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Yet their president is one of the first heads of state to announce his plans to travel there:
http://elysee.blog.lemonde.fr/2011/0...-que-possible/
Assuming this isn't feigned concern for the media, then by all means Sarkozy should come to Tokyo -- immediately. That would certainly help neutralize the indelible negative feelings Tokyoites now have for his compatriots.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chamade
Assuming this isn't feigned concern for the media, then by all means Sarkozy should come to Tokyo -- immediately. That would certainly help neutralize the indelible negative feelings Tokyoites now have for his compatriots.
I'm not aware of of indelible negative feelings reserved primarily for the French from any Tokyo dwellers.
Do you have a source for this view or is it conjecture?

I recall you making an assertion not so long ago that foreigners were already leaving Japan in droves
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...pan-tough.html
These contributions seem to be of a similar quality to those you made then.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
I'm not aware of of indelible negative feelings reserved primarily for the French from any Tokyo dwellers.
I think "indelible" was a typo. The negative feelings are actually "inedible" negative feelings. Since the chef left, the food has taken a turn for the worst and Sarkozy should come to fix the Hollandaise -- immediately.

It's a bit unfair to single out the French for this criticism - German food took a turn for the wurst far earlier.

Last edited by jib71; Mar 18, 2011 at 8:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.