Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Best Hotel in Tokyo

Hi! We will be spending 1 night in Tokyo- coming in from the airport, soending the day and then need to be back at the airport in time for our 10:45 am flight back to the States. We will be there 1st week in April.

What is the best hotel option? We like lux hotels but would like it ti be relatively close to where you catch the train (if thats the best to/from airport scenerio).

We are Plat on SPG and Plat on Hyatt but will consider anything that is special.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I believe you will be better served if I move your thread to the FT Japan Forum.
Happy New Year...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

thanks
Old Jan 3, 2011, 4:57 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Most of the good hotels -- including all the Hyatt and Starwood properties -- have door-to-door bus service to the airport, so take your pick. I think that out of the Starwood/Hyatt subset, the Century Hyatt and Park Hyatt are in the most interesting area for first-time tourists. Park Hyatt is many times nicer than Century Hyatt, but priced accordingly. The Sheraton Miyako is in the middle of nowhere (but a good value), while the Westin is in a not-so-touristy upscale nightlife area and the Grand Hyatt is in a very touristy/often seedy nightlife area.

I'd vote for the Peninsula if both loyalty programs and price were not a factor. It's awesome in just about every way.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
My suggestion - forgo points and luxury. Stay at the Hotel Lungwood by Nippori station - cheap, clean, convenient. From there your journey to/from the airport is just 36 minutes and you can take the Yamanote line to reach the rest of Tokyo with ease. Spend the money you save on a nice dinner.

Perfick.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this was re-directed from the LUXURY forum(where you can't even breathe the words starwood/hyatt) I will propose the 1 of the Four Seasons(at Marunouchi) and 1 Mandarin Oriental.......sorry no points at either but both will show you a good time while taking your money!
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis First
I always enjoyed staying at the Imperial. The Palace is also interesting.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by kayak-dan
The Palace is also interesting.
If you're interested in construction it may be interesting, but if you want to stay the night, it's not ideal.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
If you're interested in construction it may be interesting, but if you want to stay the night, it's not ideal.
They are really constructing that complex up at a quick pace.....
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: Too Many
I personally like the Imperial, or the Park Hyatt. Other nice choices would be the Peninsula or the Ritz.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
They are really constructing that complex up at a quick pace.....
You said it. I feel all san-chome no yuhi!

To the OP: What you're seeing on this thread is that while the Hyatt and SPG properties in central Tokyo are fine hotels, they're not conveniently located for the airport. This means it takes at least 90 minutes to reach any of them - and the bus is the best way to go, because they're nowhere near the direct rail connections to the airport. Although that doesn't matter much for people who stay a couple of nights or more, it's just a pain in the neck for folks who have an overnight stop in Tokyo. Hence the multiple recommendations for fine luxury hotels near Tokyo station (Peninsula, Imperial, FS Marunouchi) and my rather downmarket suggestion for a cheap and cheerful business hotel with a weird name near Nippori station.

FWIW, there are other choices around Tokyo station, at various points in the price spectrum. If you want more options...

Last edited by jib71; Jan 4, 2011 at 4:56 am
Old Jan 4, 2011, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Deadbeat, United 1K/4mm, Delta Diamond/5mm, Singapore PPS, BA Silver
Tokyo

The Conrad Tokyo might be one of the world's best urban hotels. Although, for your short stay I would highly recommend the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. Not only is their bar {the Oak Door} is a fine place for a drink, with a very mixed international crowd in attendance, rooms are amazing. Furthermore, the immediate area (Roppongi) is open all night and not to be missed.

Your two transportation options back to Narita:

Limo Bus: 7AM (from Hyatt lobby) @ Narita 8:50AM

Narita Express: 8:00AM (From Tokio Station**) @ Narita 9:00AM
(**taxi from Hyatt to Tokio Station = 15 minutes = US$20)
Old Jan 4, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I stayed at the Park Hyatt 2 weeks ago. For me it was the best hotel ever. I had a suite. I think others have made some good suggestions. Location wise I consider Hyatt ok as you are a 5 min cab ride or shuttle to Shinjuku station.

Rob
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ChicagoKat
Hi! We will be spending 1 night in Tokyo- coming in from the airport, soending the day and then need to be back at the airport in time for our 10:45 am flight back to the States. We will be there 1st week in April.

What is the best hotel option? We like lux hotels but would like it ti be relatively close to where you catch the train (if thats the best to/from airport scenerio).

We are Plat on SPG and Plat on Hyatt but will consider anything that is special.

Thanks!
For the combination requested: Luxury + convenience to airport (if the airport is Narita) then definitely the Park Hyatt.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
I would be a little cautious about assuming the Park Hyatt is that convenient for Narita. Assuming you want to plan on arriving at the airport 90 minutes before your flight at 10.45am, either:
  • you'll be catching the 7.05am Limousine Bus to arrive at Narita Terminal 1 at 8.55am; or
  • you'll be catching a taxi to Shinjuku station in time to get the 7.06am N'EX which arrives at Narita Terminal 1 at 8.36am (so be stepping into a cab about 6.50am I would suggest).

Alternatively, you could stay at the Four Seasons at Marunouchi which is 3 minutes walk from Tokyo station, and catch the 8.00am N'EX getting to Narita Terminal 1 at 9.01am.

Realistically speaking, you're 45 minutes closer to Narita by staying at the Four Seasons, which is also truly a world-class hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.