Wiki Posts
Search

Nude-o-scopes coming to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Thumbs down Nude-o-scopes coming to Japan

Well, so much for those voluntary tests at NRT. The good news is that the scanners will only be used as an alternative to a pat-down IF the metal detector goes off. Story here:

Five kinds of full-body scanners were tested at Narita Airport from July to September, and the ministry concluded that one of them was as effective as a pat-down check in detecting suspicious items.

The device emits millimeter waves, a kind of electromagnetic wave, to clearly depict passengers' body contours, it said.

To protect people's privacy, the ministry has set conditions for airline companies to introduce the device.

These include having officials of the same sex scan men and women in separate rooms and destroying the images immediately after inspection.

Passengers who do not clear regular airport metal detectors will have to choose a body scanner inspection or a pat-down as an additional check.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 6:45 pm

Nooooooo!!!!!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
According to another news report I read the other day:

"Japan Airlines Corp and All Nippon Airways Co have no immediate plans to install the scanners, the companies’ officials said, citing privacy issues and their costs."
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by joejones
Well, so much for those voluntary tests at NRT. The good news is that the scanners will only be used as an alternative to a pat-down IF the metal detector goes off.
So the goal is not to set off the metal detector.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:37 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by DoubleJ
So the goal is not to set off the metal detector.
Which at Japanese airports is pretty easy not to do, in my experience.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:40 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Aviation Wire reports that HND and NRT have begun introducing millimeter-wave body scanners made by Provision 2 (HND) and eqo (NRT) in their international terminals as of yesterday: http://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/115754 (JP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.