2 questions re: meeting a friend in NRT and airport hotel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
2 questions re: meeting a friend in NRT and airport hotel

Hi,

I have two questions about my upcoming trip to Japan

1- I changed my flights and am now arriving a day earlier than my friend. I'm going to stay in an airport hotel (see question 2 below) and take their shuttle back to NRT the next day and meet him at the airport. My question is if I am allowed to go inside the arrivals hall as an outside person or is it restricted to current travelers only? If allowed, what would you guys suggest as the best meeting place? FWIW, I have a cell phone rental I need to pick up and we need to exchange our JR Rail exchange orders into actual passes. Is there a good area by any of those places to meet?

2- What are some recommendations for a cheap airport hotel to spend the night? Expedia shows me the Narita Port hotel for about $70 with breakfast included and that seems like a decent value to me. Any other suggestions?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, you will be allowed inside the airport, but not into the immigration/customs area. There are two big doors where everyone, including tour group leaders, congregates with signs, etc. to meet the arriving passengers who have just passed through customs/immigration.

However, as a recent previous thread on this topic noted, you have to stand in a crowd, so it may be more comfortable to meet in the airport Starbucks so that in case your friend arrives before you do (flights DO arrive early on occasion), s/he will not have to wander around looking for you.

As far as the hotel is concerned, $70 should give you a clean, safe hotel that contains the bare necessities and nothing more. Think college dorm room, only with a tiny private bath. I always stay in rooms in that price range unless someone else is paying for it.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ksandness
Yes, you will be allowed inside the airport, but not into the immigration/customs area. There are two big doors where everyone, including tour group leaders, congregates with signs, etc. to meet the arriving passengers who have just passed through customs/immigration.

However, as a recent previous thread on this topic noted, you have to stand in a crowd, so it may be more comfortable to meet in the airport Starbucks so that in case your friend arrives before you do (flights DO arrive early on occasion), s/he will not have to wander around looking for you.

As far as the hotel is concerned, $70 should give you a clean, safe hotel that contains the bare necessities and nothing more. Think college dorm room, only with a tiny private bath. I always stay in rooms in that price range unless someone else is paying for it.
Perfect, thanks. I'm not looking for anything nicer with regards to the hotel for this night, especially since I'm paying with my own $. The rest of the trip is a different story...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I always stay at the Comfort Hotel Narita before early flights from NRT. It's Y6,000 a night including breakfast (even for two people) and right next to the Keisei Narita train station. There's also free coffee, a computer in the lobby and some other useful perks.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember to bring your passport, it will be checked before you are admitted to the airport.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Remember to bring your passport, it will be checked before you are admitted to the airport.
And it's likely to be checked after you are admitted, assuming you are alone and don't look Japanese.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.