Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Help for a Family of Four

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:00 am
Mul

Bump this thread.
I'm looking for a family of 4, w/ 2 young teens for hotel in Kyoto. I already checked Kyoto's Granvia hotel, which isn't available during July 15 timeframe.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mul
Bump this thread.
I'm looking for a family of 4, w/ 2 young teens for hotel in Kyoto. I already checked Kyoto's Granvia hotel, which isn't available during July 15 timeframe.

Any recommendations? Thanks.
I see the Iori rental houses used periodically in travel documentaries and they do appear be beautiful. Although there are a wide variety of traditional houses you can stay at in Kyoto most are inexpensive but won't have the kind of levels of air conditioning you will probably be expecting (or wanting) at that time in July.

so there's this place that still has a vacancy on your peak travel days
http://www.kyoto-machiya.com/eng/isa.html
I personally regard the extra bed charges as excessive for two youngsters and would contact the company to see if it's possible to wrangle a discount given the kids status as dependent minors. Even so, compares favaourably with the cost of four people at the Granvia.

As an alternative, and this isn't a rec as I've never been there or see the interiors, the Kyoto Royal Hotel is part of the Ishin Hotel group which has some child friendly policies. If any of your children are under 12 you wouldn't need to include them on the booking so long as they're able to share a bed/bedding.
http://www.ishinhotels.com/en/child/index.html
Unfortunately, there's no availability around your key date either.
Might be useful as a cheaper tag on place if you need to keep to a budget.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
If you're willing to expand your horizons to Osaka, any number of child friendly possibilities exist.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:41 pm

I'm trying to use points to stay at the Tokyo and Osaka Hyatt Regencies, with our kids aged 5 and 8 in tow, and don't want to get second rooms if we can avoid it. The Tokyo HR is said to have only rooms with 1 king for 2 people, but at 24 sq.m. should be big enough for us. Would anyone care if they brought sleeping bags and slept on the floor? Do we even need to tell anybody? We do this all the time in the USA without problem.

What about in Osaka? They have a suite we may be able to afford, but I don't think we can in Tokyo. Thanks people.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azlefty
I'm trying to use points to stay at the Tokyo and Osaka Hyatt Regencies, with our kids aged 5 and 8 in tow, and don't want to get second rooms if we can avoid it. The Tokyo HR is said to have only rooms with 1 king for 2 people, but at 24 sq.m. should be big enough for us. Would anyone care if they brought sleeping bags and slept on the floor? Do we even need to tell anybody? We do this all the time in the USA without problem.

What about in Osaka? They have a suite we may be able to afford, but I don't think we can in Tokyo. Thanks people.
As a visitor to a foreign land representing your country, I respectfully ask that you not pursue this plan.

You may or may not get away with it, but people _will_ notice, and it will not look well.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by azlefty
Would anyone care if they brought sleeping bags and slept on the floor? Do we even need to tell anybody? We do this all the time in the USA without problem.
Hotels outside the USA tend to charge by the person, so yeah, they would likely "care". We fight this issue a LOT, and it's always a challenge to find a hotel which will allow us to put 2 adults and 2 kids in one room. Usually e-mailing the hotel directly is required - though I think when we were in Tokyo we booked the Shinagawa Prince through a 3rd party (Travelocity? Expedia?) and it took our booking for 2 adults + 2 kids in a 1 King room. You'll almost certainly be needing more towels than get provided - especially if you didn't agree on the number of occupants with the hotel ahead of time.

Obviously if breakfast is included you'd have more difficulty - again depending on the hotel. Recently in Singapore it took a lot of back-and-forth e-mailing, but the hotel charged us an extra person for the 12yo and nothing for the 8yo - and breakfast was included. They ended up providing us a room with 3 beds and the 8yo camped happily in her sleeping bag.

Because the Hyatt is a US-based chain, you *might* be able to find somewhere on their website that children stay free with paying adults. (We booked a Holiday Inn in Cairns once specifically because of this.) I would really strongly suggest e-mailing the hotel if the online booking does NOT show 2 adults and 2 kids. I've not had an issue (though I think we were very circumspect at the Prince due to having no specific approval beyond the booking being accepted) but have heard horror stories of folks being required at checkin to get a 2nd room - and/or being turned away because there weren't 2 rooms. That's just NOT how you want to start a vacation!!!

Have a great time in Tokyo! My kids had a blast, hope yours will too.

Richard
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:45 pm

Richard, thanks for your helpful thoughts.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:18 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by rsolomon
... I would really strongly suggest e-mailing the hotel if the online booking does NOT show 2 adults and 2 kids...

Richard
I took a look at the Tokyo HR - and 2 adults and 2 children are not allowed in a king room when you try to book for that occupancy (2 adults and 1 child is ok - but I didn't check if the rates are different). So I would definitely try to work things out directly with the hotel in advance. And - if things can't be worked out with the hotel - I wouldn't risk trying to put 4 people in a room that has a maximum occupancy of 3. Robyn
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Officially, only a View King or View Twin can be booked for two adults and one child. I was also able to negotiate getting an extra bed thrown in at no charge.

But I would not try to sneak two adults and two children into one room. Better to contact the hotel in advance and see if something can be worked out.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate post deleted

Last edited by hailstorm; Dec 28, 2012 at 4:53 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:40 am

It's also worth pointing out that the reason Japanese hotels are stringent about maximum room occupancy is not just because they're Japanese rule-sticklers, but because there are strict fire codes about this stuff. Tokyo hoteliers, in particular, still remember the Hotel New Japan fire in 1982 that killed 33 people all too well, not least because the owner was sent to jail for negligence and the hotel's burned-out shell sat on display in the middle of Tokyo for over a decade until it was finally pulled down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.