Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Disney Land/Sea

Tokyo Disney Land/Sea

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
First I wouldn't suggest to anyone who is visiting Japan to use their precious time and money and spend three different days at Tokyo Disney to begin with. As you allude to, there are a million other things one can do then see Disney characters while visiting Japan.

Well it is Japan, overcrowding is going to be expected if you are traveling to one of the largest Metropolitan areas in the entire world during special days at the park.

As for the English part, I would venture to say as much as 98-99% or so of their customer base is probably Japanese people, there's a reason why both parks are profitable parks, and its because of that base, yes it is a American company, but they exported it to Japan to get Japanese people into Disney.

If you like roller coasters then there's nothing like riding some of the worlds tallest and fastest coasters at Fuji Q Highland theme park. Nothing cool like riding a coaster with a clear and fantastic view of Mt. Fuji.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
First I wouldn't suggest to anyone who is visiting Japan to use their precious time and money and spend three different days at Tokyo Disney to begin with.
It depends on how much of a Disney fan they are. If they are really big park fans, then it does take at least 3 days to feel that you've seen everything.

As you allude to, there are a million other things one can do then see Disney characters while visiting Japan.
This could apply to *any* activity in Japan. It's up to each person to decide what's important to them.

yes it is a American company, but they exported it to Japan to get Japanese people into Disney.
Actually that's one of the reasons that Disney fans like to go to Tokyo Disney: it's the only Disney resort worldwide that the American company has 0% ownership of and doesn't manage itself. It's owned and managed by a Japanese company under license. So, the service and maintenance standards are so much higher than elsewhere not just because it's in Japan and caters to Japanese guests, but because it's owned by a Japanese company and managed by Japanese managers. There's a different feel to the place as a result.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
Actually that's one of the reasons that Disney fans like to go to Tokyo Disney: it's the only Disney resort worldwide that the American company has 0% ownership of and doesn't manage itself. It's owned and managed by a Japanese company under license. So, the service and maintenance standards are so much higher than elsewhere not just because it's in Japan and caters to Japanese guests, but because it's owned by a Japanese company and managed by Japanese managers. There's a different feel to the place as a result.
It appears that this was not part of the appeal for the following poster:

Originally Posted by Malcolm12
Disneyland Tokyo we would not return to the staff don't speak english <snip>
The people try to help but not speaking english is a major problem.
You would think that the employment of staff for Disney should have english as a 2nd languge.
I personally would have thought that Korean or Mandarin would be more useful as second languages, but what do I know.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 3:52 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
My cousin works at Disneyland, it was a requirement for her employment to pass an English proficiency test. She says all frontline staff must pass this test. They may be shy speaking it but for sure they can understand it.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
My cousin works at Disneyland, it was a requirement for her employment to pass an English proficiency test. She says all frontline staff must pass this test. They may be shy speaking it but for sure they can understand it.
Perhaps what you mean is that "for sure they can understand basic written English".
Pretty much every student in Japan is required to pass a series of English examinations and proficiency tests. Has been that way for many years.

If communicating in English is so important then take a notebook and pen and present your requests succinctly in clear, legible writing.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Need an excuse to call my cousin, this was as good as any.

She said that her test was verbal, given by an American HR woman for basic English conversation. She said the test was super easy and basic.

In her opinion, many of the people who work there can speak and understand however they are shy or intimidated. Especially if the visitor's English accent is a little different than the English they were taught, they second guess themselves.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
She said that her test was verbal, given by an American HR woman for basic English conversation. She said the test was super easy and basic.
Sounds like the mining exams:

Originally Posted by Peter Cook
... and so I became a miner instead. A coal miner. I managed to get through the mining exams—they’re not very rigorous. They only ask one question. They say ‘Who are you?’, and I got 75% for that.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Even though we wouldn't go back to Disneyland we would go back to Japan tommorrow if we could, a very enjoyable place but would spend more time in the villages etc and stay at ryochans and visit the outer country side.
A fine idea. But Ryochan's is in Shibuya, up on the hill with the hourly hotels, I believe, so need to hit the countryside.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Steve M
Actually that's one of the reasons that Disney fans like to go to Tokyo Disney: it's the only Disney resort worldwide that the American company has 0% ownership of and doesn't manage itself. It's owned and managed by a Japanese company under license.
The Hong Kong and Paris parks are owned by local companies in which Disney owns a minority stake, but the distinction is largely an issue of taxes and profit sharing. I believe Disney refrained from buying stock in Orient Land (the public company that owns Tokyo Disney Resort) because they didn't want to get hit with Japanese corporate taxes on the profits.

It's not a very material distinction because a license agreement gives the licensor much more power than they have as a shareholder; Disney can dictate exactly how they want the characters and themes to be used because of the license agreement, not because they own stock. (Try buying stock in a company and then telling management what to do; they will politely laugh you out of the room. Cf. the last Goldman Sachs AGM.) If you think that Disney takes a hands-off approach to any of its theme parks, you are mistaken. They are very active in monitoring and controlling what Orient Land does with the franchise, just as they do with the other franchised and Disney-owned parks.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, 7G, SPG (for now)
I just think that being an Internationally known park originating from the US that english should be a 2nd language.
By that logic, since McDonald's is an internationally known restaurant originating from the US, English should be a second language for all staff.

As others have pointed out, although all the Japanese staff undoubtably has some English skills due to mandatory reqs in junior high and high school, they may be either too shy or not confident enough to use it. Also, due to the distribution of guests that come to Tokyo Disneyland, I doubt that the staff usually uses any English on any given day anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by ninja138
By that logic, since McDonald's is an internationally known restaurant originating from the US, English should be a second language for all staff.
For some reason that I can't really fathom, the staff at McD and Starbucks do actually communicate about orders with each other in a warped form of English.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:55 pm

Disneyland and Disneysea

wrong post sorry

Last edited by Malcolm12; Feb 16, 2012 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strategies for minimising wait times?

I know there are a few veterans who knock around this forum who have PLENTY of experience at these parks.
Next month I'm going on my first family trip with papa, grandad and a 2 and a half year old. We will avoid the weekends/holidays.

First question: There's a spike in hotel prices around the 28th March (even more so than the expected peak around the 20th March Bank holiday). Does anyone have any comments on why this might be?

Second question: Maximising Fastpass.
I thought a stratagem might be to head for the Hunny Hunt ride as soon as the doors open and wait in line there whilst MrLapLap goes to the Fastpass machine for Monsters Inc with our entry passes.
Is this feasible? The assumption is that a. MrLapLap won't need to wait much more than 20 minutes to get the FPass, and that b. he will be able to rejoin us in the HHunt queue. Or would it be better if I get the passes as it might be more palatable to those in line at HHunt to allow a 'mommy smash' through a line to reunite with her sprog?

Waiting in line has been an understood part of the experience for me - I've some wonderful memories of spending that time with sweet strangers and adorable families - but I don't think LapInfant will be quite so happy to shuffle around for extended periods (although I know she's going to LOVE the rides, enough to make the queuing worthwhile). I'm keen to reduce her frustration as much as possible.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Does anyone have any comments on why this might be?
Spring break / End of academic year?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
I know there are a few veterans who knock around this forum who have PLENTY of experience at these parks.
Next month I'm going on my first family trip with papa, grandad and a 2 and a half year old. We will avoid the weekends/holidays.

First question: There's a spike in hotel prices around the 28th March (even more so than the expected peak around the 20th March Bank holiday). Does anyone have any comments on why this might be?
What the Jibster said:
It's the end of the school year and all the children have vacation until the first week of April. I would suppose it is a mini-peak also there could be some collateral action from the cherry blossoms. IMO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.