Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Mt Koya - worth it?

Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP

I have a day in Osaka (arriving into KIX late at night leaving next evening). Was wondering if it makes sense to try a day trip to Mt Koya. I've been to Osaka before, although I'm sure there more stuff in the city to do.

I was thinking of taking an early morning train out on the Nankai electric railway and taking an earlyish afternoon train back which should give me enough time to get to KIX.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Sure, they sell a package train, cable car and bus round trip ticket at the Nankai Namba station. Just beware Koya san will be quite a bit cooler than in Osaka.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJUAMMF
Sure, they sell a package train, cable car and bus round trip ticket at the Nankai Namba station. Just beware Koya san will be quite a bit cooler than in Osaka.
Yeah, I saw the package on their website. But was wondering if it's worth it to go all the way just for effectively a few hours.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:55 pm

Not so, the last stretch from Hashimoto to the cable car station is very picturesque. On the way to Hashimoto is not scenic but still interesting. This is not a railroad lined with back side of car repair shops.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
you might realize u also have an option in Nara.
Anyway, I'm just not sure when's the latest you can get into Koyasan. or else, u'd have enough time for Koyasan (I arrived at 3.30pm, did nth much the 1st day, went to 3 sites the next day and left at ~1230)
could have spent a bit more time if we didnt want to be at Kyoto at 7 AND at the same time spent some time around namba before heading north.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: Pretty much most hotel and FF programs
Definitely worth a temple stay

I did an overnight stay at a temple on Koya-san a decade or so ago...

This left ample time for exploring - it is an area to be walked, very calm, very peaceful. The vegetarian dinner/breakfast were beautiful and delicious.

The only proviso is that, compared to the tenet of Buddhism's founder - Shakamuni - that one should renounce wealth as an element of earthly desire, around Koya-san I saw more BMWs/Mercs than I have ever seen anywhere in my life, all being driven around by priest in their gorgeous robes.

In that aspect, it can be a bit disappointing when compared to temple travel in Southeast Asia where practioners are still humble in their lifestyle.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: UA, NW
A day trip to Koya-san doesn't make much sense to me.

The overnight stay in the temple, with the vegan meals and the 6AM service, are the essence of the experience.

Sure, the scenery is nice, but the idea of a hurried Buddhist experience seems odd. If you don't know anything about Shingon Buddhism or Japanese history, a day trip is going to be nothing but a chance to gawk at more temples.

When I went in 2000, I arrived at the last moment, had dinner, went to bed early, got up for the service, had breakfast, and spent a peaceful morning walking through the temple area (a young novice monk was making the rounds, praying at each temple), walking through the adjacent town (the owners of a coffee shop left an employee in charge and took me to a little-known temple that had amazing azaleas in bloom), walking through the woods and seeing the tombs of famous historical figures, soaking up the reverent atmosphere in which Shingon adherents visit the tomb of Kobo Daishi (their founder), and then visiting the eccentric modern cemetery, with its whimsical tombstones.

I guess what I'm saying is that Koya-san is more appropriately a restful timeout than a hurried day trip to take just so you can check the area off your list.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ksandness
A day trip to Koya-san doesn't make much sense to me.

The overnight stay in the temple, with the vegan meals and the 6AM service, are the essence of the experience.
Seconded. The temples, in themselves, are no match for eg. Kyoto or Nara -- it's the chance to get a bit closer by staying at one that sets apart Koya-san.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 6:38 am
Suspended

I've just realized 1 problem. does OP know it take good part of 2-3 hrs from Namba to the heart on Koyasan?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:22 am

Programs: UA, NW
If' you'd like a temple day trip, why not go to Nara? The main sites are all within walking distance of one another. If you're into history, you may want to stop off on the way at Horyuji, where the world's oldest wooden buildings (seventh century AD!) make up a temple complex that is within pleasant walking distance of the train station.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I completely agree with the consensus. You need at least 2 days in Koya so that you can experience the temple stay. A day trip would be too rushed, given the travel time.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
My first experience of Koya-san was a day trip and I count it as one of the most rewarding experiences from my first visit to Japan. I remember that we made a very early start and spent the best part of the day hiking up the mountain, through virgin forests with a guide who explained the flora. Somewhere along the way, we stopped for o-nigiri and tea. When we got to the top, my friends gave me a little history lesson, we walked around the Okunoin cemetery, played "find the corporate grave", and then took the train home (which, at that time, was not far from where Kansai Airport is today).

I have since spent nights on Koya san, attended morning prayers, eaten vegetarian dishes, looked around temples etc. I really enjoyed those experiences, but I don't think that my first experience was "missing the essence" or whatever. I think that some of the "essence" of Koya san is in the feeling of pilgrimage - and you certainly get that when you walk it. There is more than one way to skin this cat.

Having said that, though, I fully agree that there are more impressive temples in Kyoto and Nara and Koya san is not suitable for a rushed day trip on a stopover.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, guys. I've been to Kyoto and Nara (twice each) and Osaka (once), which is why I was exploring the Koyasan possibility for my upcoming stopover.

I downloaded the train schedules; it doesn't actually take 2-3 hours, more like 1 1/2 hours from Namba (slightly shorter from Shin-imamiya or Tengachaya) to the Koyasan station. I also found various walking tour guides (with a few bus segments) that take anywhere from 5 to 7 hours, which sounds just right for me (I tend to travel very fast when I play tourist by myself anyway). I speak some Japanese so I think I should be able to ask for help or take cabs if I am in a rush for time.

If anyone has more recommendations, let me know.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:08 am
Suspended

1.5 hrs is right, but do add on extra time for the bus to weeve through the mountain to get to the town. walking on the road is prohibited...
Old Apr 9, 2010, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by kaka
...walking on the road is prohibited...
Really? Plenty of people walking when I was there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.