Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Grand Prince Hotel Akasaka

Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking for a cheaper hotel for my trip to Tokyo in April and I can get a Double at the Grand Prince Hotel Akasaka for 10,000 yen a night which would include breakfast because I joined the free PCI Club.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it or it's location in Akasaka.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I stayed there once a couple of years ago. the location is decent and central and the hotel is modernistic, efficient and a decent value. I'd stay there every time if the Westin were not in ebisu across the street from my clients offices.

http://www.princehotels.com/en/akasaka/
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:47 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
While I never stayed at the hotel itself, however, a few months ago I went to attend a concert there where a famous Japanese singer was performing, the facilities and access to the nearby subway station were good.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:23 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
This hotel was going to close on March 31, 2011, but now Tokyo Mayor and the hotel have agreed to use it as a shelter for those evacuated Fukushima.^
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:54 am

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by O Sora
This hotel was going to close on March 31, 2011, but now Tokyo Mayor and the hotel have agreed to use it as a shelter for those evacuated Fukushima.^
This is such great news. ^
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, UA, NW, DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by ltp711
Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it or it's location in Akasaka.
I have stayed there a few times and had a good-great experience each visit. Very clean, professional and a superb value as PCI Club Member. I'd highly recommend it.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Clarification. The hotel closes on Mar 31. No change. The building will be used as a shelter.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

So how could the OP get a booking for April?

Despite the glowing recommendations above, this is basically what the Japanese call a "business hotel." So bear in mind that the rooms, especially the single rooms, will be very small. But, if still available, they'll be clean and functional.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So how could the OP get a booking for April?
I guess the hotel hadn't anticipated its closure and the Tohoku region relief requirements in April 2010.

I'll grant you, this oversight gives lie to the myth of Japanese earthquake readiness.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:44 pm

The closing of the hotel was announced last April:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0100430a7.html
Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
LA Times article about use of the Grand Prince Hotel Akasaka for refugees:
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7647109.story
Old Apr 10, 2011, 3:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The hotel has about 700 rooms and can accommodate up to 1,600 people but so far only 140 families (360 people) have applied to stay there. Only those people who are already in temporary accommodation in Tokyo appear to be eligible. They were going to charge 300 yen for breakfast and 500 yen each for lunch and evening meal, but have now decided to waive these charges.

Many people seem to be deterred by the fact that the accommodation is only available until the end of June.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
This hotel was torn down in novel fashion and rebuilt as a fancy high-rise building, upon the top of which now sits The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kiocho hotel.

And now you know...the rest of the story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.