Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

19 hour overnight transit in Narita by myself....

Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I have a 19 hour overnight transit in Narita airport by myself. I am kinda nervous and unsure about whether I should I get a hotel or stay in the airport.

Does anyone have similar experience? How does the procedure work if I choose to get a hotel room? What scenario will I face if I stay in the airport?

Please help!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
Who are you flying with? Japan Airlines provides hotel rooms for pax with long layovers and I think ANA does as well.

If you do choose to get a hotel room, the Holiday Inn Tobu Narita has rooms for about $60 if you book 2 weeks in advance. A word of caution, ask the front desk for a map to the local convenience stores to buy food, hotel restaurants in Japan are very expensive.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am flying from Guangzhou to Narita with ANA, then ANA again to Chicaco. So ANA actually provides hotel rooms? And does anyone have experience with Narita Airport Resthouse? I just want to avoid the whole checking in and checking out system since I do not know the language and I had difficulty communicating with them before.

Last edited by Joeyisfantastic; Nov 8, 2009 at 12:02 am
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:04 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Joeyisfantastic

I am flying from Guangzhou to Narita with ANA, then United Airline to Chicaco. So ANA actually provides hotel rooms? And does anyone have experience with Narita Airport Resthouse? I just want to avoid the whole checking in and checking out system since I do not know the language and I had difficulty communicating with them before.
I had an 11 hour lay-over and have slept for 4 hours at Narita's day-room "hotel" which is located in the main terminal. Small but comfortable bed with tiny clean shower: total cost around $24. The reason I stayed for 4 hours only at the day room because I was flying in F BKK-NRT-LAX and had access to Narita's AA lounge with its huge shower suite.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Small but comfortable bed with tiny clean shower
Does the shower provide shampoo/bath soap ect.?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Does the shower provide shampoo/bath soap ect.?
yes, everything you need to take a shower.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:05 am

That's an awfully long time to just hang around...

If you have a through-ticket with NH and they provide a hotel that's a great start...and your bags can be checked right through.. you won't have to see them in NRT...

.... but I'd still get "out and about"...

It depends on your arrival/departure times of course.. but when I had a similar layover (evening to afternoon) I booked a room at the Holiday Inn... and next morning went to the Shinsho-ji temple complex... then had lunch in a little restauarant in Narita township... before heading back to the airport...

Please note I speak NOT A WORD of Japanese... and I had very little trouble getting around...^
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:56 am

NRT closes during the night, so you will be removed from the terminal anyways.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
For 19 hours just go into Tokyo, have some fun sightseeing etc with a night in a comfy bed.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Gold, KLM Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For 19 hours just go into Tokyo, have some fun sightseeing etc with a night in a comfy bed.
Or go to Roppongi and forego the bed
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:12 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold

I am flying from Guangzhou to Narita with ANA, then ANA again to Chicaco. So ANA actually provides hotel rooms?
JAL does in certain cases and I have heard ANA does as well. Call them and ask.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:12 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...onnection.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...t-layover.html
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Narita city is a nice place to visit for a while - it only take about 20 min to get to (and you could probably find a place to stay there for cheaper than Tokyo), but with 19 hours, Tokyo is definitely doable.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:58 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Most of the hotels near NRT are very reasonably priced, and have free shuttles. I'd opt for a bed and a shower. If your 19 hrs includes some daytime, a visit to the Naritasan temple complex (use the loop bus from the airport or any of the major hotels - JPY300 IIRC) is a marvelous way to spend a couple of hours.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 10:55 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
For added info, please follow as the thread moves to our Travel->Japan forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.