Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

19 hour overnight transit in Narita by myself....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

19 hour overnight transit in Narita by myself....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Pooch
one doesn't tip the service staff?
That is correct.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Pooch
So if JAL is putting one up at an airport hotel (dinner/breakfast included) one doesn't tip the service staff? Just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!
My experience with JAL-sponsored hotel stays at NRT is that they give you a coupon for a dinner in which you have two choices for each course. Breakfast is a buffet.

Some high-end restaurants add a service charge, but unless they do, just pay what's posted. (Most restaurants have a little note on their menus stating that the listed prices include consumption tax.)
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:51 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
I'm looking into this for a 23-hour layover. My brother is coming with me and he would prefer a rural Japanese experience to Tokyo city, so I was considering either Narita town or Sawara (hard to find a place to stay there though). Any recommendations?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
deleted.

Last edited by 5khours; Aug 23, 2014 at 1:44 am Reason: responded to a very old post.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:07 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by b8b
I'm looking into this for a 23-hour layover. My brother is coming with me and he would prefer a rural Japanese experience to Tokyo city, so I was considering either Narita town or Sawara (hard to find a place to stay there though). Any recommendations?
If he wants to see a rural part of Japan on his layover, I would not recommend Narita...that said, if Sawara is the other option on the table, he might as well spend a night in Narita.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Does anyone have a reference for this JAL benefit? I've tried searching both their site and the JAL forum but I'm coming up empty.

I have an overnight (<24 hour) transit in February flying PEK-NRT-ORD in JL C/F on a US award ticket, interested to know if I qualify or not.

I'm planning on just spending the day in Narita since I won't land until 1pm and my next flight is at 11am, plus I'll have been in Tokyo rather recently anyways.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:30 am
b8b

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
If he wants to see a rural part of Japan on his layover, I would not recommend Narita...that said, if Sawara is the other option on the table, he might as well spend a night in Narita.
Where would you recommend? Would be nice to have an "authentic" Japanese experience, or at least something unique and memorable (maybe an interesting place to stay), but not have to go too far. Thoughts?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I got the impression that when you mentioned “a rural Japanese experience” you meant as some nice place not far from Narita airport which is not a big city Tokyo. However, when I first read your post indicating “a rural Japanese experience” I assumed that you are looking for some out of place even local Japanese do not consider for R&R (rest and relaxation) weekend.

Sawara is a nice area including Suigo pond area when it is in season. Many local Japanese do visit Sawara area, but most Japanese will not consider Sawara area as rural. Northeast end of Chiba prefecture, Choshi and Inubo peninsula are also nice place, but again I do not think people consider area as rural.

If you are really looking for rural area then one come to my mind is Yoro-keikoku, south of Narita and pretty much on the center of Chiba prefecture. There are some hot spring Japanese ryokans. However, it is rural so it is not an easy access from Narita.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:55 pm
b8b

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I got the impression that when you mentioned “a rural Japanese experience” you meant as some nice place not far from Narita airport which is not a big city Tokyo.
Thank you, AlwaysAisle. Somewhat, yes, let me clarify: would like to find somewhere to stay and explore that isn't the big city of Tokyo, but you can experience good food, nice sites, something memorable and unique, and likely not see another gaijin (or at least not be so touristy). Date would be at the end of Feb, 2105. I thought about Sawara, but having a hard time finding a decent place to stay looking this far out.

Would prefer not to spend a lot of money (my brother is a young and his career is just getting started, and he prefers to pay his own way, proudly), or spend hours on a train (last time I went to Tokyo from NRT, it was a long round trip, and fairly pricey). I could rent a car ($80/day), and am familiar with left-hand drive.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.