Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

19 hour overnight transit in Narita by myself....

19 hour overnight transit in Narita by myself....

Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:41 am
Original Poster

You guys are so helpful! Thank you for all your comments!

One more thing, do I have to pick up my baggage (not carried-ons) during my transit in Narita? Or they are going to be put onto my next flight?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
JAL has always asked me if I wanted to pick up my bag or not. I always have and by the time I made it through customs it was waiting for me.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Joeyisfantastic
You guys are so helpful! Thank you for all your comments!

One more thing, do I have to pick up my baggage (not carried-ons) during my transit in Narita? Or they are going to be put onto my next flight?
ANA will be able to check it through to Chicago - so you won't need to touch it again until you reach ORD.

BTW - If ANA's providing a hotel, it will probably be near the airport, so you could spend a little time exploring Narita, which is a nice enough little town. However, if you're paying for your own hotel and you're taking the 5.55pm ANA flight to Chicago, I'd suggest taking a train into Tokyo and seeing Tokyo rather than Narita. Sure it's an hour each way to Tokyo, but I think it's worth it.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: no status
Great Thread. I will be in NRT for a bit longer than 24 hours in January, traveling on UA. I would definitely like to visit Tokyo, and suggestions on an easily reachable and decent budget hotel would be appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Great Thread. I will be in NRT for a bit longer than 24 hours in January, traveling on UA. I would definitely like to visit Tokyo, and suggestions on an easily reachable and decent budget hotel would be appreciated.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japan...er-thread.html
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Homey, what's your budget? Is this a Winnipeg budget, or is it a comfortable 3* budget? Is it more than Smidgen's budget?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Homey, what's your budget? Is this a Winnipeg budget, or is it a comfortable 3* budget? Is it more than Smidgen's budget?
Probably would prefer to stay below C$100, whatever that may be in yens. I guess if that's not reasonable I will spend more.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably would prefer to stay below C$100, whatever that may be in yens. I guess if that's not reasonable I will spend more.
You are looking at a range of between 8-9000 JPY. Laplap usually has some good ideas for those types of places, do you have any other "currency" such as hotel points?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:05 pm

Hotel Lungwood is in that price range!
LUNGWOOOOOOOD!
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Joeyisfantastic
Hi, I have a 19 hour overnight transit in Narita airport by myself. I am kinda nervous and unsure about whether I should I get a hotel or stay in the airport.

Does anyone have similar experience? How does the procedure work if I choose to get a hotel room? What scenario will I face if I stay in the airport?

Please help!
Read some posts before on similar topic, recall some said ANA gives discount to its pax to stay in their hotel near NRT (Crown Plaza ANA Narita), if you could not get a room for free.

You should be able to have your luggage checked through to final destination.

I would venture out and stay near the Narita Station (many hotels nearby; lots of restaurants too). Shopping malls and temples to visits.

Most hotels, if far from Narita Station, would provide free shuttle service to & from.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Let us remember Smidgen is a high roller. Nothing but the best for the critter.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Black Adder
JAL has always asked me if I wanted to pick up my bag or not. I always have and by the time I made it through customs it was waiting for me.
im planning for a *25* hours layover at NRT. can i through check my luggage for LHR-NRT-HKG? I'd only do the layover if i can through check for sure (otherwise i WILL run into issues for what i'm thinking of buying to HKG)
Old Apr 7, 2011, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by kaka
im planning for a *25* hours layover at NRT. can i through check my luggage for LHR-NRT-HKG? I'd only do the layover if i can through check for sure (otherwise i WILL run into issues for what i'm thinking of buying to HKG)
The guidance I've seen is for stops of less than 24 hours. In this situation, I suggest you ask the airline.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 8:39 am

Programs: UA, NW
Hotel restaurants may be expensive (although some of the budget hotels provide a free or low-cost breakfast buffet), but convenience store food is not your only alternative.

Japan has more hole-in-the-wall restaurants than you'll believe if you haven't been there, and just about any place you can afford is going to have either plastic models or photos of the food in the window, labeled with prices. What you see is what you get in terms of both food and price, since the listed price includes taxes and service, so no tipping.

If the server doesn't speak English, simply point to what you want.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 7:30 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ksandness
Hotel restaurants may be expensive (although some of the budget hotels provide a free or low-cost breakfast buffet), but convenience store food is not your only alternative.

Japan has more hole-in-the-wall restaurants than you'll believe if you haven't been there, and just about any place you can afford is going to have either plastic models or photos of the food in the window, labeled with prices. What you see is what you get in terms of both food and price, since the listed price includes taxes and service, so no tipping.

If the server doesn't speak English, simply point to what you want.
So if JAL is putting one up at an airport hotel (dinner/breakfast included) one doesn't tip the service staff? Just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.