Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

1 extra passenger boarded on JL046 on Mar 21 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:27 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum

I am having a hard time understanding this

https://www.jal.co.jp/info/inter/170328.html

On March 21, a no check-in passenger was onboard the aircraft of JL046 (Paris-Charles de Gaulle – Tokyo-Haneda), due to inappropriate responses between ground handling staff and cabin crew. JL046 decided to return soon after the aircraft leaving from the parking spot, because one passenger onboard over the seating capacity had been confirmed. One passenger concerned was offloaded.

JL046 departed at 20:09 (local time) with a delay of one hour and 9 minutes.
A "no check-in passenger" and "inappropriate responses" between ground handling staff and cabin crew? What does that even mean? Did someone board the plane without check-in but CA didn't find it until they were taxiing even though it's 1 passenger over the capacity?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak
I am having a hard time understanding this

https://www.jal.co.jp/info/inter/170328.html

A "no check-in passenger" and "inappropriate responses" between ground handling staff and cabin crew? What does that even mean? Did someone board the plane without check-in but CA didn't find it until they were taxiing even though it's 1 passenger over the capacity?
It was in the TV news streams over here yesterday. Basically yes, they left the gate one person over passenger manifest, returned to the gate and off loaded the excess passenger.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It was in the TV news streams over here yesterday. Basically yes, they left the gate one person over passenger manifest, returned to the gate and off loaded the excess passenger.
One over manifest is different from one over capacity. i have a feeling someone just use google translate for this English version of the statement
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
One over manifest is different from one over capacity. i have a feeling someone just use google translate for this English version of the statement
I guess it comes down to the translation of 定員. There is no possible way they would have started taxiing with a passenger standing in the aisle, but capacity may mean a lot other than all seats being occupied.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:19 am
Original Poster

I guess it comes down to the translation of 定員. There is no possible way they would have started taxiing with a passenger standing in the aisle, but capacity may mean a lot other than all seats being occupied.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.WNttxlLlRE4

Well...NH left the gate without realizing someone was standing at the aisle though...so anything is possible
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Something weird just happened...got redirected to page saying my post won't be visible until approved by mod
I had the same. I thought it was the Japanese characters I put in.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:26 am
Original Poster

I had the same. I thought it was the Japanese characters I put in.
You are right! Got a response from mod saying there's a software update. Japanese, Chinese, Korean characters will got flagged LOL. They are working with the tech team to fix it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.WNttxlLlRE4

Well...NH left the gate without realizing someone was standing at the aisle though...so anything is possible
I remember that one. Though with the JAL flight attendants always making thumbs up through the aisles before push back, I find it unlikely to have a passenger standing somewhere... But NH did indeed manage, though I am less familiar with their departure process.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: JL OW Sapphire, NH *A Gold
I find it unlikely to have a passenger standing somewhere....
Asahi Shinbun article says
one passenger found his/her seat was occupied after coming back from the restroom just before start taxing!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LandMiler
one passenger found his/her seat was occupied after coming back from the restroom just before start taxing!
Very interesting. And it explains how the push back happened. I guess they will need to check and lock restrooms before push back. I thought that was kind of normal for airlines.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LandMiler
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/other/170314.html

Based on this situation, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan has amended its Circular Notice to request that all passengers take their seats and fasten their seat belts before the aircraft starts to move from the parking spot.
He's supposed to be seated before push back

So....

"no check-in" passenger means "we mistakenly issued a boarding pass with the another passenger's name to one passenger"

and

"inappropriate responses" means protocol wasn't followed because staff did not check the name at check-in and at the gate.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Very interesting. And it explains how the push back happened. I guess they will need to check and lock restrooms before push back. I thought that was kind of normal for airlines.
Or verify the identity of the passenger at check-in and boarding! Does JAL outsource the ground service at CDG?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or verify the identity of the passenger at check-in and boarding! Does JAL outsource the ground service at CDG?
Of course they do. Like most other destinations there are a few JAL people around, but mainly outsourced staff.

The problem arises from time to time with passengers of similar or same name when the check in staff only looks by name not by booking ref. Typically at outsourced stations. I have had this with Scandinavian Airlines as well, suddenly a second passenger with the same name showed up assigned the same seat. But since I did not run to the rest room it got caught before the doors were closed.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Of course they do. Like most other destinations there are a few JAL people around, but mainly outsourced staff.

The problem arises from time to time with passengers of similar or same name when the check in staff only looks by name not by booking ref. Typically at outsourced stations. I have had this with Scandinavian Airlines as well, suddenly a second passenger with the same name showed up assigned the same seat. But since I did not run to the rest room it got caught before the doors were closed.
I don't know. The article says "係員が氏名の印字の確認を怠ったという。" Sounds like to me the passengers have different names in this case.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know. The article says "係員が氏名の印字の確認を怠ったという。" Sounds like to me the passengers have different names in this case.
Maybe the same last name.

An interesting thought: passenger one boards, goes to the lavatory, stays there long enough for passenger 2 to board, the boarding to complete, the doors to close and the plane to be pushed back. Really??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.