Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Typhoon and changes?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Typhoon and changes?

Hi all

First time flying JAL and I'm actually on an AA award ticket flying from ORD-NRT on the 5th... which looks like the same day Chaba is going to hit.

How does JAL normally handle typhoons, are flights just delayed/cancelled or do they move you to another day?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Uh-oh...we're arriving in HND the morning of the 6th, then connecting onward (well, at least that's what we're scheduled to do...). Typhoon was not in our plan...

We are also on JAL on an award ticket (although routing is SFO-HND); our first time on JAL, too.

Last edited by nwflyboy; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:43 pm
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Uh-oh...we're arriving in NRT the morning of the 6th, then connecting onward. Typhoon was not in our plan...
Arriving the 6th as well, when does JAL start issuing travel warnings for this kind of thing... I really don't see anything as of yet, but want to change my plans if possible
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Uh-oh...we're arriving in HND the morning of the 6th, then connecting onward (well, at least that's what we're scheduled to do...). Typhoon was not in our plan...

We are also on JAL on an award ticket (although routing is SFO-HND); our first time on JAL, too.
Yah was hoping there would be some travel thing issued so I could change with AA without getting wacked 175 in fees... how about you? Any idea?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
JAL normally does not rebook and issue advisories before a Typhoon. Usually the window of delays and cancellations is pretty brief. It is just a typhoon after all. They normally handle their IRROPS pretty well.

A typhoon can change trajectory, intensity, and landfall time a lot of times before the 5/6th, time to worry a lot closer in.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL normally does not rebook and issue advisories before a Typhoon. Usually the window of delays and cancellations is pretty brief. It is just a typhoon after all. They normally handle their IRROPS pretty well.

A typhoon can change trajectory, intensity, and landfall time a lot of times before the 5/6th, time to worry a lot closer in.
Interesting, thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:18 pm

Of course, this is definitely true. I'm going to try not to worry too much - yet. Ask me again in 2 days, I may feel different. That said, I just googled the predicted storm track, and its arrival in the Tokyo area is forecast to coincide almost exactly with my flight's...
if
it sticks to the model. And that's a big "if". Lots of other ways for it to go.

They [JAL] normally handle their IRROPS pretty well.
That's reassuring. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Of course, this is definitely true. I'm going to try not to worry too much - yet. Ask me again in 2 days, I may feel different. That said, I just googled the predicted storm track, and its arrival in the Tokyo area is forecast to coincide almost exactly with my flight's...
if
it sticks to the model. And that's a big "if". Lots of other ways for it to go.

That's reassuring. Thanks!
The probability circle for the current projection of the 5th of October is 600km. I.e. The projection is not very accurate. I have seen too many typhoons predicted to hit Tokyo with fury turn into very little, so maybe I am just very calm about these things.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:30 am

Update of the typhoon track and projected course: Super Typhoon Chaba tracking updates

It has intensified and looks to be a big storm. Right now looks like its projected track will take it a bit north, then hooking east, passing north of Tokyo Wed pm. Fingers crossed here that for those of us passing through Tokyo it won't be a major event.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JAL posted a typhoon update to their website today (in Japanese)

As of 04.10.2016 13:00 Japan time no influence expected at airports in Kanto (Tokyo area), Tokai (coastline area between Tokyo and Osaka), Kinki (Osaka Area), Chugoku, and Shikoku.

Hokkaido (Manbentsu, Kurishiro), Tohoku and Hokuriku (Hanamaki), and multiple, but smaller, airports in Kyushu and Okinawa are seing cancellations and diversions due to the weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.