Wiki Posts
Search

Premium economy review

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Premium economy review

For several years I've been addicted to business class, but on our recent holiday trip my wife insisted we try premium economy. Since I haven't seen any premium economy reviews here, I thought I would describe our experience.

First, the seat: We sat in the new "Sky Premium" seat which is available on JAL's 777-300ERs and certain 787s. The seat is very, very good. It provides lots of space: a very generous 42 inches of pitch (most airlines provide around 38 inches in PE) and generous width. The leg rest and foot rest are very comfortable. The seat is in a hard shell which means that when you recline, the seat slides forward. The advantage of this is that the person in front of you can't recline into your space, and you can recline your own seat without feeling any guilt. The seat also has good storage space -- in addition to the seat pocket there's a smaller pocket where you can put a water bottle or smart phone, and there's a space under the arm rest where you can store books, headphones, etc. The seat also has good power options -- a standard power outlet and a USB outlet.

Overall the seat was very comfortable with plenty of space for stretching out and lounging in various positions.

Next, the food: basically the food is the same as regular economy with a few extras: extra alcohol (champagne and Japanese shochu) and extra snacks. Now before you start feeling disappointed, let me state that JAL serves the best economy meals I have ever eaten. The last time I flew JAL in long haul Y was about 10 years ago, and the meals have been significantly upgraded since then. The food is tasty, plentiful, and well presented. The main meal includes miso soup. (I'm not sure if regular economy gets miso soup.) For dessert they serve Haagen Dasz ice cream. And they provide metal utensils. (I think all the economy meals I've had in the past provided plastic utensils.)

Next: in flight entertainment. Until recently JAL's IFE selection has been woefully inferior to many other airlines, but I am happy to report that that is no longer true. The selection has been VASTLY expanded, such that for the first time ever I did not rely on my own entertainment (on my smartphone) but spent the whole flight watching JAL's IFE. The choices included entire seasons of at least three TV series -- Prison Break, Downton Abbey, and Bayside Shakedown (踊る大捜査線), of which I watched 5 episodes.

Amenities:. in premium economy JAL distributes basically the same amenities as in business class (slippers, ear plugs, eye shades, toothbrushes, etc.) although not in a packaged kit. (You choose amenities from a basket that the flight attendant brings around.)

JAL also provides noise canceling head phones in premium economy similar to the ones provided in business. I noticed, however, that my Shure noise isolating ear buds provided a better listening experience than JAL's head phones.

Other little touches: in the lavatories (which are shared with economy) JAL stocks extra toothbrushes, toothpaste, and little packets of mouthwash. They also had little handwritten notes from the crew on the counter thanking passengers for their business and telling pax to feel free to contact the flight attendants if they need anything.

And finally, the crew: as always, the flight attendants on our flights were unfailingly gracious and professional.

Overall I found premium economy to be a very, very good experience. In fact, for a daytime departure it was more than adequate, and I will probably be flying in premium economy for most of my personal trips. (Work trips are still mostly J.) The only situation where I will likely choose J is if the flight is a long redeye like SFO-HND.

Last edited by Unimatrix One; Jan 1, 2016 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:14 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Miso soup and toothbrush in lavatories are also available in Y.

The C amenity kits actually contain more than those distributed in PY now. Even the eye masks were different.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

My last J trip was in October, and I didn't like the eye shade and ear plugs that came in the J kit. I actually prefer the ones they distribute in PY, which are the same as the ones they used to provide in J.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:29 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
My last J trip was in October, and I didn't like the eye shade and ear plugs that came in the J kit. I actually prefer the ones they distribute in PY, which are the same as the ones they used to provide in J.
You could just ask for those next time you fly in C
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by JALPak
Miso soup and toothbrush in lavatories are also available in Y.
That sounded like miso soup (as well as toothbrushes) is available in Y lavatories

Just in case of any doubt, I wish to assure readers that miso soup is not a regular feature of JL lavatories.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:10 pm

Miso soup is usually offered in all cabins. In economy, it is served as it would be served as tea, so many would not realize it. Just ask for it.

As for premium economy, not worth it. If they want to charge a premium, they should offer better service. Not the CA, but the food and amenities.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jgchiker
As for premium economy, not worth it. If they want to charge a premium, they should offer better service. Not the CA, but the food and amenities.
While I don't object to enhanced food and amenities in W, it's Premium Economy, not Business Lite. W is mostly about the seat.

Thanks to the OP for this very helpful review. I've been looking for a new TPAC carrier since no US carrier offers a W product (except maybe AA in 3 years), and JL has been at the top of my list of interest.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 4:41 am
Original Poster

I forgot to mention a few other things about the seat. The tray table is enormous. I think it's significantly bigger than the business class table. Great if you like to spread lots of things out on your table (like a computer and paperwork, or meal and multiple drinks).

The other cool feature of the tray table is that when you slide it all the way forward, you can get in and out of your seat while the table is still down! (This only applies to aisle seats.) Handy for going to the lavatory before they've picked up your meal tray.

And one other nice feature is that there is a fold-out drink holder that you can use when the tray table is folded up. Between that and the little drink table on the armrest, you have two places to put drinks without pulling your table out.

I haven't tried any other airline's premium economy product, but based on what I've seen online I would bet that JL's PE seat is the best in the industry.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: NH-PLT, NW-S, AC/UA/US/JL plain, Hertz#1G
Thank you for the useful and extensive review.

Thanks to the large tray table, AC power, USB power, inflight Wifi, and frequent refill of drinks and snacks, daytime flight in PY is suitable for workers on the go.

Because of the comfy full-flat, substantial meal, and good selection of alcohol, daytime flight in C spoils worker in the air.

On the red-eye HND <>SFO flights, PY seats are not isolated enough to keep your reading lights on throughout the trip. You have no choice but to sleep.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by gura
On the red-eye HND <>SFO flights, PY seats are not isolated enough to keep your reading lights on throughout the trip. You have no choice but to sleep.
Do you mean the light attached to the seat (by the headrest)?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Do you mean the light attached to the seat (by the headrest)?
well, either shoulder light or ceiling light is too bright for nearby passengers in midnight cabin
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gura
well, either shoulder light or ceiling light is too bright for nearby passengers in midnight cabin
That's why they have sleeping masks...
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:47 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay (cash, not miles) to upgrade an award ticket booked with AA miles to Premium Economy?

Last edited by mo_nc; Jan 7, 2016 at 9:08 am
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by mo_nc
Does anyone know if it is possible to pay (cash, not miles) to upgrade an award ticket booked with AA miles to Premium Economy?
Yes
http://www.jal.co.jp/en/info/inter/130712.html
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Originally Posted by mo_nc
Not exactly your question, but close...

Tonight I was able to pay 10,000 yen to "upgrade" from Economy to Premium Economy on a JL flight from Tokyo to Bangkok. The ticket was an award ticket issued by BA using Avios (so it had a 125 ticket number). It was coded with the JL flight number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.