Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL award availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Duke787
Oh I don't blame them at all. Just means I need to rethink my strategy for getting home from DPS in 6 weeks. I was planning on being able to get it done before leaving but now might just have to monitor while traveling and book return flights during the trip.

All good though!
If you have DL miles to burn, you should book GA flights out from DPS (to Japan or Korea or Taiwan or Shanghai, and then DL or KE or CI or MU to US from there). Probably the best (reportedly) seating and service out from there.

Just saying, if you have any DL miles to burn (given the constant and endless DL SlyMile devaluations) that it's a good option to consider.

Sorry if a bit OT here.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Slickdilla
Does anyone know if JAL is blocking off/releasing NO award flights the week between Dec 25th and Jan 1st? I am trying to find a flight from Tokyo to Bangkok with 2 seats and nothing is coming up? Any tips?
That is what I also was noticing.

Also some of that falls during JL award blackout dates. For more info, see the JL site.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Blootch
Keep in mind from the USA it's 5PM PST 331days out. I got through at 5:05PM yesterday and only 2 seats in J on JL6 we're available to the USA, the other routes (LAX/SFO/ORD) sold out in 5 minutes.

Nothing is blocked...people are just calling in ahead. I snagged two F seats in JL6 for Jan 3rd. Called at 4:50PM and told the agent they would open in 10 minutes. She kept refreshing and was amazed the availability was there at 5pm "like magic". Moral of the story...call ahead and try from multiple phones if you need to. The agent needs to snag at exactly 5pm PDT t-331.

Hope this helps, and good luck. Its a battle!
So, for award flight on 1/09/2017 departing LAX - what day/time in US? I am calculating it to be Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 5 PM PST.

Fair warning... my mind is turning to mush.

Last edited by AspiringWorldTraveler; Feb 8, 2016 at 7:17 am Reason: added departure city
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AspiringWorldTraveler
So, for award flight on 1/09/2017 departing LAX - what day/time in US? I am calculating it to be Sunday, February 14, 2016 at 5 PM PST.

Fair warning... my mind is turning to mush.
for departing Japan it will be on saturday
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is what I also was noticing.

Also some of that falls during JL award blackout dates. For more info, see the JL site.
There are seats. Currently holding KUL-NRT-JFK starting on 12/31 with a redeye from KUL, connecting to NRT-JFK on 1/1. 2 seats in F, 1 in J....but likely giving those up and routing through HKG on the return instead.

There was some other availability to/from NRT on those dates too...but as people have said, the seats to/from the US have been going within minutes.

We were able to book 3 in J from DFW-NRT on the outbound leg, so looking forward to trying the SkySuite on the 788.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:24 am

Departing Asia on Jan 14 2017, what is the EXACT day/time the seats would expect to open? I am calculating Friday, Feb 19 at 5pm PST. Can one of you pros confirm this? I have grudgingly had to book weird flights to get there, would love to nail the return smoothly.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Departing Asia on Jan 14 2017, what is the EXACT day/time the seats would expect to open? I am calculating Friday, Feb 19 at 5pm PST. Can one of you pros confirm this? I have grudgingly had to book weird flights to get there, would love to nail the return smoothly.
I assume you are a US region member? Are you planning to call the US call center? Are you redeeming with JMB miles? Do you have JMB status?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
I assume you are a US region member? Are you planning to call the US call center? Are you redeeming with JMB miles? Do you have JMB status?
and what is your itinerary
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:19 am

Yes and yes, I would rather not post exact itin.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:52 am

Yes and yes, I would rather not post exact itin.
There are 4 questions, which 2 were you replying to? The itinerary could change when awards open up. E.g. if this involves other carriers.

And if this is about how to redeem AA miles from Thailand to ORD, you should refer to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html for your questions. AA experts will be able to tell you when to call and tricks you could use.

Last edited by JALPak; Feb 9, 2016 at 12:05 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
Call on the 18th at 5PM PST. I would dial in 20 min before and see how wait times are. You want to be on phone with agent when clock hits 5PM

Last edited by Blootch; Feb 9, 2016 at 1:05 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
I'm looking for LAX-NRT-BKK and return in mid July for F. Is there any point in checking until a couple of weeks (and closer) prior to departure?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire
I'm looking for LAX-NRT-BKK and return in mid July for F. Is there any point in checking until a couple of weeks (and closer) prior to departure?
Why don't you just waitlist for that and let JAL release the awards for you. That's much better than checking regularly by you.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Why don't you just waitlist for that and let JAL release the awards for you. That's much better than checking regularly by you.
Sorry, I should have given more info. I currently hold 2 F award tickets for this route. I have LAX-NRT in AA F and NRT-BKK in JL C. I'd like to switch to JL F (or CX F) if/when either become available. Any point in checking for open space prior two the two week mark?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by greg0ire
Sorry, I should have given more info. I currently hold 2 F award tickets for this route. I have LAX-NRT in AA F and NRT-BKK in JL C. I'd like to switch to JL F (or CX F) if/when either become available. Any point in checking for open space prior two the two week mark?
Is this a JMB award? If not, you should check with your program's experts.

F award inventory is unpredictable. You can't guess the actual load based on seat map either. And we have seen how JAL unexpectedly/accidentally released award inventory much further in advance. If you miss those chances your chance will be slim. So you should really be checking much earlier than the 2 week mark. But how and when you check for availability depends on your FFP and should be addressed in the corresponding forum instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.