Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL Seat Assignment Codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:06 am
Original Poster

JAL Seat Assignment Codeshare

I've had the worst experience of my flying life with a JAL codeshare flight booking on MH. I have a MH ticket that originally had an AA codeshare. That flight no longer operates and they put me on a JAL codeshare. They told me I could do advanced seat assignment at T-72 hours online, but now that the time has come and gone JAL now says I can only get my seat assignment at the airport. They act like none of this is their problem since I booked with MH. I can't view my reservation on JAL or MH. To add insult to injury, the flight was booked on Vayama, so the net result is that nobody seems to have any clue what's going on. I've been shoved off to the next party (MH, JAL, Vayama) so many times my head is spinning. The ticket is N class.

All I want is an aisle seat. If I have to go to the airport to get it, when can I go? 24 hours prior to departure? Same day of departure? Can I go now to the ticket counter? Departure is February 1 and class is N. Nobody can even tell me when the counter is open at ORD.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Luke
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Sorry I am confused. Is this a MH coded flight or AA coded flight now after the rebooking? Check in usually opens at T-3 hours at most outports.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

It's MH9109 that I'm booked on.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by lukechogan
It's MH9109 that I'm booked on.
I have no idea then. You can try again at T-48. I know for AA coded flights, you may have to wait till T-24 when AA OLCI opens to check-in or the worst case it couldn't be done until you are at the departing airport.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
N-class

N- class is not eligible for an advance seat assignment on JL flights. You can only get a seat assignment at check-in. This happened to me when I booked an AA flight operated by JL in "N" class. The AA rep specifically said JL doesn't allow seat assignments in "N" class. I hope that answers your question.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

I was told N couldn't reserve until 72 hours prior to departure. Now they just tell me I couldn't even do it with a Y class ticket. Nobody and I mean NOBODY at JAL, MH, Vayama knows what is going on. Every person tells me something different. The most irritating part is that JAL seems to have no documentation on their website about even the most basic of things. If N class can't reserve a seat until airport check-in why don't they just put it in writing somewhere? If it is 72 hours just tell me.

Now the flight is sold out and I'm sure there's a nice non-reclining middle seat next to the toilet with my name on it. I'll never mess with codeshares on foreign carriers again and I'll certainly never book with Vayama. At least a few lessons learned on this one.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 11:29 pm

I was told N couldn't reserve until 72 hours prior to departure. Now they just tell me I couldn't even do it with a Y class ticket. Nobody and I mean NOBODY at JAL, MH, Vayama knows what is going on. Every person tells me something different. The most irritating part is that JAL seems to have no documentation on their website about even the most basic of things. If N class can't reserve a seat until airport check-in why don't they just put it in writing somewhere? If it is 72 hours just tell me.

Now the flight is sold out and I'm sure there's a nice non-reclining middle seat next to the toilet with my name on it. I'll never mess with codeshares on foreign carriers again and I'll certainly never book with Vayama. At least a few lessons learned on this one.
JAL website will only show info on JAL coded flights operated by JAL. The fact that you booked on a MH marketed flight from MH stock means fare rules are published by MH not JAL unfortunately.

Last edited by JALPak; Jan 30, 2015 at 11:38 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Everyone claims this is a JAL issue, including JAL.

I've never encountered a more opaque, low-tech operation. I'm surprised they even accept e-tickets. Even checking the status of a reservation is an arcane, bureaucratic process on JAL's website. I feel like I'm doing my taxes when I try to pull up my reservation. Then once I slog through 20 questions it gives me a vague error message and won't show me anything but the day and city pair.

And that stupid 1990's robot voice on their call line is just ridiculous. Welcome to JAL! Not only will we get you to your destination, but we will also take you back in time to the 90's when the internet just started getting popular and everything is done on paper forms by fax machine.

Anyway, it's a moot point since the flight departs tomorrow and I'm stuck flying this motley crew of airlines.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I agree the JAL website is a major #FAIL. It's the clunkiest, most useless airline website I've ever seen.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:47 pm

Because your flight is overbooked/full, you can`t choose a seat. Seems like JAL does this a lot.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:05 pm

Though I can't help with your OP, we have also had one hell of a nightmare with seat reservations on JAL codeshares.
Being a novice when it comes to the dark art of codeshares, we booked LHR-NRT / ITM-LHR with Finnair, on a Finnair codeshare, though I didn't realise at the time it was a JAL aircraft.
Given that we paid £1500+ for tickets, I wanted a seat assignment but Finnair couldn't give me one, as it was a JAL plane. JAL couldn't give me one as it was a Finnair booking.
Cut to FIVE HOURS of calls later, we got seats on all flights (except the BA leg to HEL) thanks to JAL and Finnair actually talking to one another and providing each other with a multitude of codes and what not.
All in all, a really painful experience.
Lesson learnt - next time I'll just book with JAL. Despite their systems being (as mentioned) archaic, at least you can book the seats with the reservation than via someone else. It does seem bizarre though. If you're in an 'alliance', then you should have access to integral information, like booking seats on long haul trips. Oh well!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:14 am

Programs: SQ/CX
Question Selecting seat on MH-JL codeshare flight

Hi,

I am trying to select my preferred seat for my flight on JAL (Malaysia Airlines codeshare) Booked via a local TA.

I tried searching for this question, but only AA/BA results came.

Route: KUL-NRT
Flight Number: MH9118 (JL724)
Booking Class: Business (D)

Called TA, they told me they can't see any seat map in their system for reservation.
Called MH, they told me they are unable to do it, as their system do not have access to the seat map.
Called JAL, they told me to contact MH.

Anyone in this similar situation ?
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by koohansen
Hi,

I am trying to select my preferred seat for my flight on JAL (Malaysia Airlines codeshare) Booked via a local TA.

I tried searching for this question, but only AA/BA results came.

Route: KUL-NRT
Flight Number: MH9118 (JL724)
Booking Class: Business (D)

Called TA, they told me they can't see any seat map in their system for reservation.
Called MH, they told me they are unable to do it, as their system do not have access to the seat map.
Called JAL, they told me to contact MH.

Anyone in this similar situation ?
It has been a topic before that MH does not load a seat map for the code share flights on JAL. Thus seat selection is not possible until check in. There is a thread somewhere in the JL forum.

The marketing carrier is responsible for the seat assignment, ie. MH.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 12:27 am

Programs: SQ/CX
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It has been a topic before that MH does not load a seat map for the code share flights on JAL. Thus seat selection is not possible until check in. There is a thread somewhere in the JL forum.

The marketing carrier is responsible for the seat assignment, ie. MH.
Hi CPH-Flyer,

Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Question Advance seat selection in Business on MH coded JL flight?

Hi, sorry to bring up an old thread.

Curious if anyone has any direct experience with MH coded JL operated flights. I'm booking a seat in business class (D-class) and am a OneWorld Emerald.

I tried pulling up the seat map for the MH coded JL flight on Expertflyer but received a "PRS Restricted" message and no seat map.

Route is KUL-NRT-JFK.

Thank you in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.