Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymark (bankruptcy declared)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Skymark (bankruptcy declared)

Interesting battle brewing between JAL and ANA over Skymark. I wonder how this will end.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 11:39 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by lovejapan
Interesting battle brewing between JAL and ANA over Skymark. I wonder how this will end.
We all know how this will end unless the upcoming election changes the administration which is unlikely
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Nikkei this morning says that JCAB is going to limit any tie-up to 5 years in order to preserve Skymark's independence. Hmmm...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Nikkei this morning says that JCAB is going to limit any tie-up to 5 years in order to preserve Skymark's independence. Hmmm...
So why should I help you for 5 years so you can be stronger and compete against me? Wouldn't a better alternative for NH is to let SKY go under and NH grab majority of the slots?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 6:09 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by JALPak
So why should I help you for 5 years so you can be stronger and compete against me? Wouldn't a better alternative for NH is to let SKY go under and NH grab majority of the slots?
Even with the favorable regulatory climate, I think if NH tried that they'd have to cease their tie-ups with Starflyer, Air Do, etc. that allow them to indirectly control a majority of slots at HND.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
I agree with armagebedar. Oddly, they will actually help Skymark compete. It's like the advertisement for every restaurant in the neighborhood. No one here seems to think it's a bad idea to spend money advertising their competitors or making weird tie-ups where you encourage people to try other area restaurants (i.e., their competitors).
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Will SKY go under? Would NH be able to grab the majority of HND slots, as lots of airlines would join the queue for these slots?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: AA:1MM
Will SKY go under? Would NH be able to grab the majority of HND slots, as lots of airlines would join the queue for these slots?
What "lots of airlines"?

These spots are for domestic use. There's only 2 domestic airlines really.

The gov't said Air Asia can't invest in skymark to get them.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:30 am

Would NH be able to grab the majority of HND slots, as lots of airlines would join the queue for these slots?
This shouldn't be a question at all. Of course NH will get the majority of the slots one way or the other.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 3:11 am
Original Poster

From the latest press, it looks like JL has the lead and that NH is somewhat reluctant.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: JGC - 1 star
9:26 pm, December 16, 2014
The Yomiuri Shimbun
Skymark Airlines has decided to begin code-sharing with Japan Airlines on flights connecting Tokyo’s Haneda Airport with three other major domestic airports — Fukuoka Airport, Naha Airport and Hokkaido’s New Chitose Airport — it has been learned.

The nation’s third-largest carrier is also considering a tie-up with All Nippon Airways — with which it began talks on Monday — not only on the three routes, but also for other flights connecting local cities, sources said.

Skymark plans to hold talks with the nation’s two biggest carriers about a proposal to designate code-sharing partners depending on routes or flights, according to the sources. However, it is unclear what conclusions the airline can reach.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001794175

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 21, 2014 at 1:08 pm Reason: Shortened extract per rule on fair usage of copyrighted material. Pls follow link for full story
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Current word on the street is that both JAL and ANA will codeshare with Skymark, and ANA intends to put its code on all Skymark flights from HND.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...th-ANA-and-JAL
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:40 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0V743720150128

Latest rumor is that SKY will file for bankruptcy...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:48 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0V743720150128

Latest rumor is that SKY will file for bankruptcy...
Confirmed per the company's own press release as well as this Japanese article from AviationWire.

Current CEO/president Shinichi Nishikubo has quit, and the board of directors has appointed Masakazu Arimori CEO/president.

Last edited by armagebedar; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:57 pm

Japanese carrier Skymark declares bankruptcy

Confirmed per the company's own press release as well as this Japanese article from AviationWire.

Current CEO/president Shinichi Nishikubo has quit, and the board of directors has appointed Masakazu Arimori CEO/president. Skymark intends to continue operations while reorganizing under Japanese bankruptcy law with approximately 71 billion JPY (605 million USD) in debt. They intend to receive financial support from Integral Co., Ltd., an investment fund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.