Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Arashi Blast in Hawaii - JAL to charter 100 flights?

Old May 11, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist

Avoid Hawaii at all cost between Sep 18-22 as 30K crazy Arashi fans will flock down to Honolulu for Arashi's 15th Anniversary Concert on Sep 19 and 20.

According to the news below the concert tour would cost 200K Yen each person and is only open to Arashi Fan Club members. Since JAL is the official carrier, up to 100 flights will be chartered for this event. Not sure how JAL is going to do this but hopefully they will have enough planes/pilots.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainm...008118420.html
Old May 11, 2014, 9:35 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
There's no way JAL can handle that much demand by itself in such a short time. I imagine they'll sell seats on NH, UA, KE, CI, HA, etc. to make up the difference.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:49 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by armagebedar
There's no way JAL can handle that much demand by itself in such a short time. I imagine they'll sell seats on NH, UA, KE, CI, HA, etc. to make up the difference.
You should the 100 flights didn't count the regular scheduled ones?
Old May 11, 2014, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL JGC Diamond, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JALPak
Currently JL uses 2x788s and 2x772s from NRT/HND and 1x772s from KIX and NGO daily. Not sure how they are going to manage this but I agree, the agency that handles the tour will definitely book some fans on other airlines' flight and the rest could be provided by JL. They could use their domestic "sardine" 777 configs and pack more than 300 passengers in one plane..
Old May 12, 2014, 12:51 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by JALPak
It's possible -- who knows how they're counting the 100 flights. But even assuming 5 days worth of flights, with 2 flights (1 round-trip) per day, that's still 10 flights. JL has 4 scheduled flights from TYO and 1 each from KIX and NGO -- six total. Where will they get the other four from? Does JL have that many 767s or 777s just sitting around? Like musashino22, I'm thinking maybe a charter or two and the rest are codeshares.

But hey, kudos to them if they can pull it off!
Old May 12, 2014, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
It's possible -- who knows how they're counting the 100 flights. But even assuming 5 days worth of flights, with 2 flights (1 round-trip) per day, that's still 10 flights. JL has 4 scheduled flights from TYO and 1 each from KIX and NGO -- six total. Where will they get the other four from? Does JL have that many 767s or 777s just sitting around? Like musashino22, I'm thinking maybe a charter or two and the rest are codeshares.

But hey, kudos to them if they can pull it off!
Schedule of the tour is out and fan club members have a choice between 3N/5D, 4N/6D and 5N/7D. Earliest departure is on 9/16 with at least 2 chartered flights out of CTS and SDJ, while FUK will get at least 4.

Not sure how JL is gonna pull this off but I think they can as most of their scheduled charter flights this year - ITA, UK, Alaska, Palau, POL, SUI, CAN, MidEast, CRO, SLO, CEB, will almost be done by then. Although I think there is a high possibility that some FC members will be flying with rival airlines where they have flights - NRT/HND/KIX/NGO. Good luck to them all.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnacUoUCUAA92Tm.jpg:large
Old May 12, 2014, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musashino22
Schedule of the tour is out and fan club members have a choice between 3N/5D, 4N/6D and 5N/7D. Earliest departure is on 9/16 with at least 2 chartered flights out of CTS and SDJ, while FUK will get at least 4.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BnacUoUCUAA92Tm.jpg:large
Correction:

Found more details. Apparently all airlines that have regular flights to HNL will be used to ferry FC members and Omni Airlines have been hired to provide charter flights as well. This is just crazy.

http://www.arashi2014hawaii.com/arashi_hnl/
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Walked into Ala Moana Center today, almost thought I was in Japan. What I don't understand is why are the packages sending all the fans to hotels in Waikiki instead of putting them is Ko Olina where they can just walk over to the concert stage from the lovely Disney Aulani, JW Marriott, or Marriott Vacation Club?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by msp3
Walked into Ala Moana Center today, almost thought I was in Japan. What I don't understand is why are the packages sending all the fans to hotels in Waikiki instead of putting them is Ko Olina where they can just walk over to the concert stage from the lovely Disney Aulani, JW Marriott, or Marriott Vacation Club?
The pricing of the JW is probably a bit higher than what is a typical fan club package range. But I would not be surprised if the properties close by have a fair share of the guests as well. 30K fans do require a few hotels to find enough beds.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:55 am

Fron what I read, the concert venue was originally supposed to be in waikiki and was only moved to Ko Olina within the last 45 days or so.

Also the JW Marriott was supposedly booked for the Pacific Links Hawaii Championship running from Sep 19 thru Sep 21.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:02 pm

Did anyone attend? Worth the trek from Japan?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bmchris
Did anyone attend? Worth the trek from Japan?
Drove spouse & friends to it. I personally wouldn't go, but it seemed like a really big deal for fans.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
or Beach Villa's at Ko Olina. I think it's because Waikiki has higher hotel density, Ko Olina is a little more relaxed and has much less rooms to sell. They bused everyone in for the concert and then bused everyone out after the concert, so our peace and quiet were only interrupted for a little while!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.