Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Possible to get 6 F seats without paying for any?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2014, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM

So I'm taking the kids to Japan for the very first time pretty soon and I timed it to coincide with when my parents will be coming back too. So I need 6 seats. 2 parents, wife and I, and our 2 kids. I know it's not impossible, and I know it has a lot to do with luck, but what do you think the chances are of getting 6 F seats NRT-LAX without actually paying for any of them? Basically using only miles for 5 and upgrading 1 (mine).
Old Feb 9, 2014, 1:44 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Goosh
So I'm taking the kids to Japan for the very first time pretty soon and I timed it to coincide with when my parents will be coming back too. So I need 6 seats. 2 parents, wife and I, and our 2 kids. I know it's not impossible, and I know it has a lot to do with luck, but what do you think the chances are of getting 6 F seats NRT-LAX without actually paying for any of them? Basically using only miles for 5 and upgrading 1 (mine).
You can have 100% of chance to redeem 5 awards as long as you are willing to pay double and they aren't taken by other passengers yet given you are JMB Diamond.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
Quote:

You can have 100% of chance to redeem 5 awards as long as you are willing to pay double and they aren't taken by other passengers yet given you are JMB Diamond.
I guess I can use that as a last resort. Thanks for the great idea. That diamond benefit didn't really cross my mind.

So far I have 2 seats for my parents already in F using AA miles. 2 more seats in J for my wife and one kid using Avios (easy to cancel and rebook using AA miles if F opens up). Also bought a J seat and waitlisted for upgrade for myself (I can't see how my upgrade won't clear). And lastly waitlisted the other kid for an F seat. Flight is showing F6 still.
Old Feb 9, 2014, 9:33 am

I guess I can use that as a last resort. Thanks for the great idea. That diamond benefit didn't really cross my mind.

So far I have 2 seats for my parents already in F using AA miles. 2 more seats in J for my wife and one kid using Avios (easy to cancel and rebook using AA miles if F opens up). Also bought a J seat and waitlisted for upgrade for myself (I can't see how my upgrade won't clear). And lastly waitlisted the other kid for an F seat. Flight is showing F6 still.
You never know. In general, paid F passengers don't book that far in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak
I was just reviewing the JMB Diamond award policies and The Diamond award excludes intl F redemptions. So I'll just have to go back to hoping for good luck.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:29 pm

I was just reviewing the JMB Diamond award policies and The Diamond award excludes intl F redemptions. So I'll just have to go back to hoping for good luck.
Oops my bad for not reading the policies: http://www.hk.jal.com/world/en/jalmi...d_tokuten.html

Good thing is C isn't that bad with the JAL Sky Suite. Get row 5 so you are just one row behind
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:25 pm

No way.

Why must "kids" fly in F anyway?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
No way.

Why must "kids" fly in F anyway?
My kids don't have to fly F, but if JL is willing to give the F cabin away to "Americans" and I can afford it with miles, why not? JL does give the F cabin away at times. For example, there are 4 F seats on JL62 (NRT-LAX) on 2.13.14 available for anyone with the miles. If that's not giving away all but one seat, I don't know what is.

And, btw, I do have status. So does my wife.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Just to close the loop, it is possible to get 6 F seats. In theory I guess its possible to get up to 7 since they won't give away the last seat expect for paid F. I ended up being upgraded from J and had 4 F seats and 2 J seats all the way up to 2 days before our flight. Fare bucket was showing F1, but 2 pax cancelled and I switched 2 J seats booked through BA Avios to 2 F seats using AA miles the day before the flight. Obviously you need to get lucky, but at least I know it can be done in theory.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:26 pm

Just to close the loop, it is possible to get 6 F seats. In theory I guess its possible to get up to 7 since they won't give away the last seat expect for paid F. I ended up being upgraded from J and had 4 F seats and 2 J seats all the way up to 2 days before our flight. Fare bucket was showing F1, but 2 pax cancelled and I switched 2 J seats booked through BA Avios to 2 F seats using AA miles the day before the flight. Obviously you need to get lucky, but at least I know it can be done in theory.
Well you can always do standby upgrade/redemption at the airport. If the 8th seat is empty and there are enough food, JAL probably will release it after check-in is closed. But that's just my guess.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:02 am

Good information. Just one question, is it possible to book J seats using AA miles and then switch to F seats upon availability if you are not a JMB Diamond member?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by aceofcards
Good information. Just one question, is it possible to book J seats using AA miles and then switch to F seats upon availability if you are not a JMB Diamond member?
You need to refer to AA redemption rules.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aceofcards
Your JMB status has nothing to do with booking an award ticket with AA miles. Like JALPAK said, AA award rules would apply when using AA miles.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
It is possible, but you would most likely need to redeposit miles and consequently pay US$150 unless you are AA explat then its free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.