Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JAL - Hot Cabin

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by R&R
Not so fast to close the case.

Did they correct the offending condition without further complaints?
Reduce the temperature, and/or increase the cabin pressure ?

On one occasion after take off, I experience severe shortness of breath to the point of gasping for air and heavy pressure on the chest.
Asked the FA to notify the Captain of the problem and within a short time was relieved.
I`ve asked them to turn it down and they have. Although i`ve only ever asked when flying in C so not sure whether that makes any difference or not.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Simmo
From a western`s perspective JAL cabin temperature is hot as an oven. From Japanese preservative it`s freezing cold hence every man and his dog asks for a blanket when traveling with them. It`s a Japanese airline so us westerners just have to live with the heat or ask them to turn it down.

Case closed.
or don't fly with them...as i chose to do.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by R&R
On one occasion after take off, I experience severe shortness of breath to the point of gasping for air and heavy pressure on the chest.
Asked the FA to notify the Captain of the problem and within a short time was relieved.
Did the FA/Captain tell you what they did?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
The Fa shouldn't have to talk to the captain to change the temperature. I believe temperature controls on the 77W are by door 1L.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:34 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Wink In the First Cabin!

The Thermostat might be in the First Galley area, but the FA may not be authorized to change the temperature, or care to even be bothered to!

In addition, there maybe other associated factors/variables involved like cabin pressure, that are better controlled by the Captain and Co-Captains up front, who are better experienced in these health matters l
Asking Flight attendants to tell the Captain carries more importance to the request and emphasizes the serious of the conditions in the plane.

For example, one FA did nothing to improve conditions and after my second request said she knew NOTHING about those things with a sharp voice.
When I spoke to a mature FA, she replied she understood the problem and she would take care of it immediately, which she did. ^
Old Aug 31, 2013, 1:16 pm

On August 28th the temperature in the F cabin on LAX to NRT was perfect all the way.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The cabin was so hot that I barely had any sleep (night flight) once again.

They improved the catering since my last flight on the route but I cannot cope with the heat, especially on an overnight flight, so I will have no choice but to switch airlines just so that I can have a semi-comfortable flight.

A hot cabin is much worse than a cold one. With a cold one, an extra blanket will solve the problem. Hot cabin has no solution I can take myself. It's tolerable on a short flight but not for a long haul overnight.

I'm rather disappointed to take this decision because the flight is nice overall (food, service etc, although the service is sometimes a bit scatter-brained), except for the temperature.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 11:00 pm
R&R

You mean you said nothing to the crew
about the heat and your extreme discomfort?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:19 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

I'm rather disappointed to take this decision because the flight is nice overall (food, service etc, although the service is sometimes a bit scatter-brained), except for the temperature.
I would definitely write an email / letter to JAL customer service. Japanese companies do take feedback seriously, especially in aggregate -- and I'm sure that there are many others who feel as you do.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by R&R
You mean you said nothing to the crew
about the heat and your extreme discomfort?
Most passengers, in other words most Japanese passengers had a cardigan on and cocooned in blankets so I could hardly ask them to bring down the temperature.

Most non-Japanese-looking passengers were in short sleeves with no blanket but they were in the minority.

It's not really nice to make many other people uncomfortable to make me comfortable. I suppose I could have stood around the door in the galley to cool down.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

They improved the catering since my last flight on the route but I cannot cope with the heat, especially on an overnight flight, so I will have no choice but to switch airlines just so that I can have a semi-comfortable flight.

A hot cabin is much worse than a cold one. With a cold one, an extra blanket will solve the problem. Hot cabin has no solution I can take myself. It's tolerable on a short flight but not for a long haul overnight.

I don't find the temperature to be a problem. The problem for me is high temperature and low humidity (which I find to be the case on JL)
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:25 pm
R&R

Angry What is the accurate tempurature reading?

Of course, it is the Temperature!
The humidity can't be changed in flight!
The Temperature can be regulated if there are accurate readings.
Notice how subjective the reports of hot and cold it is in the cabin with OUT accurate temperature numbers.

The whole matter of comfort and healthy conditions are well known in Aeronautical Medicine! The JAL should be heeding that knowledge!

Why is it such a mystery here?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 7:30 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Most passengers, in other words most Japanese passengers had a cardigan on and cocooned in blankets so I could hardly ask them to bring down the temperature.
Originally Posted by R&R
The whole matter of comfort and healthy conditions are well known in Aeronautical Medicine! The JAL should be heeding that knowledge!
Apparently majority of the passengers were in comfortable and healthy conditions. Why should JAL change the temperature setting to upset the majority of its customer base? If that's unhealthy and uncomfortable for you, simply do what LTN Phobia plans to do. That's probably the only option if JAL does not plan to change the current temperature setting, which by the way is perfectly fine for me.

Last edited by JALPak; Sep 27, 2013 at 7:35 pm
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:46 am
R&R

It might take more then a PhD in Chemistry to understand CARDIO-PULMONARY PHYSIOLOGY and PATHOLOGY for a deeper Medical understanding the problem of COLDNESS here!.

Assuming every one on the plane has a healthy Cardio-Pulmonary system and a Pituitary-Thyroid- Adrenal functioning metabolic axis, and that 82 degrees is THE normal for the majority of passengers you point out being more normal then the minority, who complain of the uncomfortable higher temperatures.

I think the research done for the 787 has already answered the questions of temperature, humidity & pressure being so ignored on this string.
Perhaps they wasted a lot of money to construct a more comfortable healthy atmosphere in planes, that few here would appreciate as an improvement.
Too bad!

Last edited by R&R; Sep 28, 2013 at 3:55 am
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by R&R
It might take more then a PhD in Chemistry to understand CARDIO-PULMONARY PHYSIOLOGY and PATHOLOGY for a deeper Medical understanding the problem of COLDNESS here!.

Assuming every one on the plane has a healthy Cardio-Pulmonary system and a Pituitary-Thyroid- Adrenal functioning metabolic axis, and that 82 degrees is THE normal for the majority of passengers you point out being more normal then the minority, who complain of the uncomfortable higher temperatures.

I think the research done for the 787 has already answered the questions of temperature, humidity & pressure being so ignored on this string.
Perhaps they wasted a lot of money to construct a more comfortable healthy atmosphere in planes, that few here would appreciate as an improvement.
Too bad!
It doesn't take a finance degree to understand Japanese customers are the one filling up the planes and therefore don't expect changes as long as they are happy. Doesn't really matter what the research from a chemistry PhD says.

If foreign passengers' profit/revenue becomes the majority, then maybe things will change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.