Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 13, 12, 7:43 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 183
Business saver fare rules

I purchased a business saver ticket (D class) from TPE-NRT-BOS and back from the Taiwan website. In my receipt, it says

Stopovers
To U.S.: Permitted.
To Canada: 2 free, 4 at TWD2900 each.

Booking Change (*)
Before Departure To U.S.: Permitted
To Canada: Permitted at TWD3000
After Departure To U.S.: Permitted
To Canada: Permitted at TWD3000

Refund
Before Departure To U.S.: Permitted(No charge)
To Canada: Permitted at TWD6000
After Departure To U.S.: Permitted(No charge)(Refundable amount will be the difference between the fare paid and fare used.)
To Canada: Permitted at TWD6000

Several questions:

1) The refund rule states that there is no charge for refunds since this ticket destination is in the U.S. However, what does "Permitted" mean under Booking Change? Is it charged at TWD3000 or is it free?

2) Same question as in #1 except for "Permitted" under Stopover.

3) In addition, I noticed JAL charges a 2000 yen ticketing service fee for exchange/reissue. Does this get triggered by doing a refund, adding a stopover, or making a booking change? If there are multiple passengers on a single reservation, does this mean its only one 2000 yen fee or multiple ones for each passenger?

4) What is the difference between Booking Change and Rerouting?
silent129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 12, 8:42 pm   #2
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,269
I believe permitted means no charge

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/tsf/overseas.html

Quote:
1. Exchange or Reissue of tickets necessitated by change of fare, tax, charges (including tax, charges change only *) or itinerary.
*Applicable only at Asia/Oceania/China.
....
3. Ticketing Service Fee does not apply to the following tickets.
·FFP Award Tickets
·Tickets for infants not occupying a seat
4. Ticketing Service Fee applies per ticket.
5. There is no Child discount.
6. Ticketing Service Fee applies to Exchange or Reissue of tickets in addition to any rebooking fee required by fare rule of the ticket.
So ticketing fee is per passenger who occupies a seat.

Rerouting means you change your routing, e.g. from TPE-NRT-BOS to TPE-NRT-ORD-BOS. Booking change without rerouting means just changing to a later or earlier flight on the same route.
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 6:26 am   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
I believe permitted means no charge

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/tsf/overseas.html



So ticketing fee is per passenger who occupies a seat.

Rerouting means you change your routing, e.g. from TPE-NRT-BOS to TPE-NRT-ORD-BOS. Booking change without rerouting means just changing to a later or earlier flight on the same route.
Thanks. So I guess a ticketing fee is valid for adding a stopover, but the lady on the phone wanted to charge me a booking change fee also. I'll try calling again to see if I can get the latter waived. One thing I've found strange about how JAL operates, is that I need to call the Taiwan office where I booked the ticket; the US guys claim that they can't make the changes because its a different office.
silent129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 7:06 am   #4
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent129 View Post
Thanks. So I guess a ticketing fee is valid for adding a stopover, but the lady on the phone wanted to charge me a booking change fee also. I'll try calling again to see if I can get the latter waived. One thing I've found strange about how JAL operates, is that I need to call the Taiwan office where I booked the ticket; the US guys claim that they can't make the changes because its a different office.
Even if they refuse to waive your booking change fee, you can always refund the ticket, get all the money back and book another one to avoid all fees assuming the tickets are still unused. Just make sure seats are still available before doing so.

Also, you will have to pay for the fare and tax/fee differences too. Some fees could be added to the fare construction while you are doing a stopover for example.
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.

Last edited by JALPak; Aug 14, 12 at 7:14 am..
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 9:46 am   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Even if they refuse to waive your booking change fee, you can always refund the ticket, get all the money back and book another one to avoid all fees assuming the tickets are still unused. Just make sure seats are still available before doing so.

Also, you will have to pay for the fare and tax/fee differences too. Some fees could be added to the fare construction while you are doing a stopover for example.
What happens if the new fare + taxes is actually cheaper with the new stopover (does this ever happen?)?
silent129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 6:50 pm   #6
Moderator, All Nippon Airways
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TYO
Programs: NH DIA+SFC (*G), JL SPH+JGC (OW SPH), HGP D, HH G
Posts: 2,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent129 View Post
What happens if the new fare + taxes is actually cheaper with the new stopover (does this ever happen?)?
It can if you purchased a ticket under a certain fare and then JL publishes a discounted fare with more liberal conditions. Unusual but not unheard of.
armagebedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 7:08 pm   #7
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
It can if you purchased a ticket under a certain fare and then JL publishes a discounted fare with more liberal conditions. Unusual but not unheard of.
Or the YQ drops. But in this case they will only refund you the difference if the first international sector is changed.

Another possibilities are weekday vs weekend, seasonality surcharge if your ticket now falls into the low season instead of peak season, etc
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 8:49 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Or the YQ drops. But in this case they will only refund you the difference if the first international sector is changed.

Another possibilities are weekday vs weekend, seasonality surcharge if your ticket now falls into the low season instead of peak season, etc
Thanks. For what its worth, the first time I called, the lady wanted to charge me 2000 JPY per passenger for changing the date of the first leg and adding a stopover so I hung up. I called again and got a guy who made the change for free! So I guess it pays to be persistent
silent129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 12, 10:46 pm   #9
Ambassador: JAL Mileage Bank
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LAX
Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, oneworld Sapphire, SPG Gold
Posts: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent129 View Post
Thanks. For what its worth, the first time I called, the lady wanted to charge me 2000 JPY per passenger for changing the date of the first leg and adding a stopover so I hung up. I called again and got a guy who made the change for free! So I guess it pays to be persistent
um....isn't that 2000 JPY the ticketing fee?

Anyway, just make sure you can still use JAL website to print out your e-ticket receipt and enjoy your flights
__________________
Disclaimer: Not associated with any airlines or travel agencies
Vist my personal site on JAL & follow me on Twitter.
JALPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 12, 4:44 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: United 1K
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent129 View Post
Thanks. For what its worth, the first time I called, the lady wanted to charge me 2000 JPY per passenger for changing the date of the first leg and adding a stopover so I hung up. I called again and got a guy who made the change for free! So I guess it pays to be persistent
um....isn't that 2000 JPY the ticketing fee?

Anyway, just make sure you can still use JAL website to print out your e-ticket receipt and enjoy your flights
Yea he said he didn't need to charge anything. Not sure why but I didn't argue
silent129 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:14 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.