Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

20h+ layover in Tokyo enroute from TPE-BOS - need to pick up bags in Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

Hi All,

First time flying JAL. Appreciate the help!

I'm looking at flights from TPE-BOS and vice versa routed through Tokyo (some arriving HND and leaving NRT, others NRT and NRT) which have an overnight 20+ hour layover.

Questions:

1) Can they check the bags straight from TPE to BOS without needing me to pick them up in Japan? Does the answer to this question differ depending on whether both flights are at Narita versus TPE-HND and then NRT-BOS?

2) If I want to pick up bags, is this a possibility?

3) Some of the TPE-HND flights are codeshared with China Airlines. Even though I'm probably not going to pick these given their poor safety record, if I do, can they transfer the bags from HND to NRT automatically or do I need to pick them up?

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:13 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by silent129
Hi All,

First time flying JAL. Appreciate the help!

I'm looking at flights from TPE-BOS and vice versa routed through Tokyo (some arriving HND and leaving NRT, others NRT and NRT) which have an overnight 20+ hour layover.

Questions:

1) Can they check the bags straight from TPE to BOS without needing me to pick them up in Japan? Does the answer to this question differ depending on whether both flights are at Narita versus TPE-HND and then NRT-BOS?

3) Some of the TPE-HND flights are codeshared with China Airlines. Even though I'm probably not going to pick these given their poor safety record, if I do, can they transfer the bags from HND to NRT automatically or do I need to pick them up?

Thanks!
You cannot check through your luggage when you have a surface sector transfer, i.e. HND to NRT and vice versa. You would have to pick up your luggages, bring them to the other airport and recheck them.

But if you have an overnight connection at NRT, it is possible to just check it through. They will ask if you want to check them through at check-in. If they don't, you can try to request for that.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:28 am

You can check your bags straight to BOS as long as your connection is at the same airport (ie. NRT) within 24 hours.

Sure, but you have to specify which bag(s) to be picked up at NRT and make sure you arrive at the airport with enough time the next day to re-check them again prior to the flight.

JL and CI have baggage interline agreement so CI can help you check your bags straight through to your final destination. But if your CI flights take you to HND and not NRT, you'll have to recheck everything yourself at NRT.

Note that once you pick up your bags (at either NRT or HND), you may only recheck them at NRT on the day of your BOS departure and not the day of your arrival from your TPE flight.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:50 pm

I believe you mean TSA - HND right? if you are going out of TPE then you will ended up in NRT. No need to take your bags out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.